Cleanup and removal of pedal box

Hi

I have a wobbly clutch pedal and was considering doing a cleanup of the pedal box, renew bushes, replace main shaft (assume its worn) and clean and paint it.  Is removing it terribly difficult?  Any tips`?

Richard

Hi Richard

Did mine last year. Its a bit time consuming & space is tight but its straight forward enough. I replaced the bushes & shaft. The other item to watch for is wear in the pivot hole for  the clutch MC & to a lesser extent the brake pedal. The clutch pivot wear can have a big impact on the gear change. I welded mine up & re drilled it. I just used rattle cans to paint & its held up so far. Only the pedal rubbers let it down but hey gotta have some originality somewhere !!

Alan  

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

Richard ,

I'd endorse Alan's comments on the pivot hole needing close inspection. My TR4 pivot hole had gone " oval " and needed the

dab of weld and re-drilling treatment. Now is the time to do it ,whilst the things apart. Eliminate the slack.

Bob

1 hour ago, super6al said:

Hi Richard

Did mine last year. Its a bit time consuming & space is tight but its straight forward enough. I replaced the bushes & shaft. The other item to watch for is wear in the pivot hole for  the clutch MC & to a lesser extent the brake pedal. The clutch pivot wear can have a big impact on the gear change. I welded mine up & re drilled it. I just used rattle cans to paint & its held up so far. Only the pedal rubbers let it down but hey gotta have some originality somewhere !!

Alan  

IMG_3638.jpg

IMG_3696.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3723.jpg

IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

thats a really nice job . . you should be proud!!

Hi Richard

A couple of points I forgot to add. I found the poly bush for the throttle pivot is a really tight fit - I warmed it up & greased it to get it to fit. The other thing is to add a sealer or mastic (I used a non setting caravan bedding mastic) to the pedal box when you refit. Trying to keep this in place when you're refitting is tricky if you're working by yourself. Its supposed to prevent engine fumes from entering the cockpit. Personally I'm not sure of the effectiveness given any amount of other places fumes can enter but I figured at least it may stop metal to metal corrosion.

Alan  

Maybe a hard question  to ask,

Living in Viking land, I order from UK, so add 5-7 days.  Weather is good here (ish) and lockdown not so strict so i'm thinking if I remove unit, then work, then order = less drive time.  Should I just go order new bushes and a rod anyway - and do job as a one-er on a weekend as they are not that expensive?

Richard

Hi Richard

I would go head & order the parts, as you said the parts are not so expensive so its better to have everything to hand.

Regarding the living room carpet - er she never knew  ;-)

Alan

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, mhossack said:

Hi Alan

You have done a great job refurbishing your pedal box.

My question, my TR6 pedal box has been converted from LHD to RHD very badly, I have almost completed the work required, I would like to know where to set the accelerator pedal height, mine was just hanging down, no stop or return spring, from your photo it looks to me you could put a straight edge across all your pedals, is this correct.

Thank you,

Mick.  

For ease of driving its always good to have all the pedals level with each other at rest.

Stuart.