E M I Motor Club, Hayes Carnival Sixties or earlier?

Enjoy. I’m told this is late 50s Early 60s.

F9DB2F91-E662-4667-AD84-19CD949F7B86.jpeg

335FC17F-F669-4D43-B43E-AFDD1CAA7785.jpeg

F93F1FEB-D15A-4133-A2AF-5DB598E74D7F.jpeg

52BDFE9E-B040-4562-8523-F2439F5B06DE.jpeg

756DE0C1-9FBA-4237-A67D-69BCC2BAD5EF.jpeg

9F8F0E0E-E383-4BC0-A589-329164DB2D0B.jpeg

8A9938DE-C090-45A8-8FCF-71CF482FFBE5.jpeg

EECBDD52-5576-4172-8ACC-B4042C53359C.jpeg

BD68328A-BDF3-4EBD-874E-45C89B1BAC58.jpeg

Edited by SuzanneH

Nice !!

I remember EMI Hayes from years ago. Used to live in Greenford/ West Drayton for a bit. 

I suppose the cars were not " classics" when those pictures were taken, but "moderns" !!

My dad was a copper in the Met at that time. I remember his "on duty" stripey armband. 

1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

Nice !!

I remember EMI Hayes from years ago. Used to live in Greenford/ West Drayton for a bit. 

I suppose the cars were not " classics" when those pictures were taken, but "moderns" !!

My dad was a copper in the Met at that time. I remember his "on duty" stripey armband. 

I also remember the EMI factory in Hayes, Probably a Teso now. 

Also grew up in Greenford in the sixties. Used to cycle out to Iver Heath as well as the nearby Pinewood Studios. Never saw anyone

famous though.!! Great times.

Colin.

I too have very happy memories of EMI Hayes.
I worked for them for 3 years or so, but didn’t spend too much time there as I was installing and fixing brain scanners abroad for them most of the time.

The best company ever for expenses! They had the attitude that if you had to go overseas to work you should not be one penny out of pocket. They even paid for all the cigarettes I smoked and the beer I consumed!

One bloke even put in a receipt (written in Italian) for a £3000 fur coat for his wife, and claimed it read “Electronic equipment”. Unfortunately for him our boss could speak fluent Italian and he was caught out. These day’s he would be fired. Back then he was just told to pay the money back, and carried on working as if nothing had happened.

The building has, I believe, had a very tasteful redevelopment done (I think parts of it are listed.)

I would guess that Sue could verify if it looks OK or not.

Charlie.

The EMI complex is now called “ The Old Vinyl Factory ” and is undergoing a massive modernisation and is a development site for thousands of homes. It has taken the focus away from the original  Hayes Town and relocated it on this site.

The Art Deco Office Building has been refurbished and has stood empty for many years ( not sure if it still is empty) and the Head Office building was refurbished and became a residence for Asylum Seekers as have many other buildings in Hayes.

It is also the location for The Global Academy which is a Media College.

I attach a few photos of what is happening here but if you google The Old Vynyl Factory there is plenty to see.

Hayes  is becoming a London Satellite Town because Cross Rail is coming through here, they are building many flats/apartments without any parking facilities because they say future residents are not the kind of people to own cars, they will commute into London for work. 

My words, they won’t have any social life either without a car to escape in at weekends.

37B7EB09-19D8-44AF-AF0F-2286CBF688E0.jpeg

126A0BBA-43AC-46E7-BA53-6150956554A9.jpeg

F9374EB4-018D-4AB3-963A-9682EC7A6AB5.jpeg

Edited by SuzanneH

Great photos Sue, thanks for posting.

I once had a work colleague in South Wales who'd been a mechanical engineer for EMI Hayes. Later I worked for a group owned by Rolf Schild and Peter Epstein, who sold SE Laboratories to EMI for £4.4M. Apparently they asked for it in cash!

Pete

37 minutes ago, Dave McDonald said:

The photo of the other Healey, 3897 MX has a formidable looking triumvirate sat on the rear deck, particularly the lady behind the driver. I wouldn't want to pick a fight with her down a dark alley at night!

Great period photos.

Dave McD

Dave,

Thats 1st , 2nd & 3rd of Miss UK 1962 !!

Anorak's alert  :

Yes, that particular Big Healey won the 1962 Alpine Rally in June . The fact that the Big Healey rally car has that particular driving lamp arrangement,  while carrying Competition No. 5, dated the Hayes event as July 1962, for it was re-prepared for the Liege-Sofia-Liege event almost immediately afterwards, and carried a different competition number.

Edited by Graham Robson
Additional information
1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

Dave,

Thats 1st , 2nd & 3rd of Miss UK 1962 !!

I thought it was Rogers mum and her friends Hetty and Grace.:o

This is King George VI funeral train “The Windsor Castle “ going past EMI “ The Art Deco Building” on its way to Windsor.

The parked up cars are interesting.

D4981B3D-D034-4B58-A551-63B0DD155BE7.jpeg

Edited by SuzanneH

Sue - I love the photos of the EMI factory. 

I worked for Virgin/EMI from 1996 - 2008 but only went to Hayes once, I think. Toured the factory and the archive (which is still there, thankfully). 

Tim. 

2 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

Sue - I love the photos of the EMI factory. 

I worked for Virgin/EMI from 1996 - 2008 but only went to Hayes once, I think. Toured the factory and the archive (which is still there, thankfully). 

Tim. 

Tim, I thought you would like this, you are  the main reason I posted it.

22 hours ago, Graham Robson said:

Anorak's alert  :

Yes, that particular Big Healey won the 1962 Alpine Rally in June . The fact that the Big Healey rally car has that particular driving lamp arrangement,  while carrying Competition No. 5, dated the Hayes event as July 1962, for it was re-prepared for the Liege-Sofia-Liege event almost immediately afterwards, and carried a different competition number.

Nice spot Graham, turn around in those days was pronto!

Iain