You will get as many different opinions as there are oils available.  

Personally I use a specific multigrade gear-box oil (Penrite GB40) as do a number of others, but then again some people swear by those Nigel lists.  Both types seem to be recommended by different gearbox re-builders so perhaps it isn't that critical. 

There are a lot of opinions on this, just don't use a GL5. It not only is reputed to attack the yellow metals but, because it's designed for oiling the sliding contact faces in hypoid differentials , you will find your synchro rings won't synchronize properly.

SAE30 for me as recommended by Laycock for the Type-A Overdrive, incidentally, they said not to use any EP oil, Triumph disagreed.

Edited by iani

The PO of my car used EP90 gl4 for donkeys years. 

I had my box and OD rebuilt last year by Peter cox and he suggested GB40 so that’s what I now use. Both work well but the EP stuff stinks !

10 hours ago, iani said:

SAE30 for me as recommended by Laycock for the Type-A Overdrive, incidentally, they said not to use any EP oil, Triumph disagreed.

That was in the early days of Laycock overdrives  in the 1950's and there was a change in the design of the tooth form on the Triumph gear box to helical cut teeth in the form of hypoid type hence hypoid oil is recommended. The only type of SAE 30 that could be used is Austin engine Mini oil as it also has Hypoid additives in it for use in Hypoid gear cut tooth form in Mini gear boxes,  The attack on bronze metals in gearboxes ceased 20 years ago + as per Penrite's head of Engineering. I have  used hypoid oil in my gear box for 47 years and the only trouble that I have had was the usual TR problem wear on the layshaft.

Bruce.

+1 for Penrite GB40 - the Register shop used to sell it but no longer - an alternative was Dynolite Gear 40 which I can't seem to find now - Moss were selling this up to recently on ebay for £8.50 litre post free, but NLA - instead they appear to be selling Dnyolite 30 for the same £8.50 with free P&P - not sure if that is a a straight  replacement for the previous 40 though

Cheers Rich