I am just about to put in the headling into the 5s hardtop, a job that I am not looking forward to! I have found a thread from 2008 explaining the sequence. Basically, install the crossbars, glue the rear, glue the front and then the sides and trim all when set. If anyone can confirm this sequence  I would be grateful.

However my first question is are the locating end pieces on the cross rails removable? These pieces are original and appear impossible to insert into the sleeves in an assembled state.

Many thanks 

Tim

Tim,

You have the sequence correct. Note the listing rails ( factory term for the crossbars ) are unequal in length; trial fit them to confirm they trend wider toward the rear.

I have been able to assemble them with the end hooks installed. They are removable but may resist valiantly. I have one set where someone welded a flat facsimile in place; originals are wire loops but quite a tight fit.

I have used 3M contact cement to glue the front and rear; the Furflex trim on the sides should hold it in place without glue, but no harm in gluing this too although it won't adjust once making contact.

If deviating from the original vinyl fabric you will find a stretchable one is a dream. This is cream coloured Ultra Suede.

Tom

IMA 68 TR ALBUM COMPLETE 031.jpg

Many thanks all for very swift replies. I will put some deadening material on the hardtop.

The kit came from TR Shop, £125, I think.

Cheers

Tim

One more question - are the 2 small, shaped cover plates at the forward base of the back light which provide access to the forward studs just held in place by the furflex/weatherseals or whatever?

Thanks again,

Tim

I managed to do the headlining and other trimming to the backlight a few days ago with some telephone support!

I just thought that I would point out for anybody else about to do this that the kit I bought from the TR Shop was perfect, almost too perfect! 

The headlining element has no surplus trim on it whatsoever!

...and thanks for advice once again.

Tim