A photo of the passenger seat back { movable back one } showing a bolt on bracket found when i stripped of recovering.

What do you think it's for ?  Standard ?

Roy

P1010375.JPG

Was it a strap to stop it folding forwards under heavy braking......and no passenger? Strap from rear of seat to a lift a dot would have worked?

Iain

Whatever it is someone went to a lot of trouble to put it there. Would have had to strip all the covering off the seat to do it.

The first car I had (in 1967) was a Triumph Herald fitted with Restall seats.

They had a (sort of) bracket like that attached to the rear of the seat backs.

I say “Sort of “ because they were just cloth strips (Bits of seat belt webbing) that were screwed and glued through the fiberboard seat backing, and obviously put on by some PO.

Their purpose was to stop the seat belt slipping off the occupant’s shoulders. The shoulder belts were attached to the floor just behind the seat. If the belts were needed in anger they would have just ripped the bracket out the fiberboard, but lots of things were done in those days without a lot of thought being put into them.

The photo shown looks similar, except mine were attached to the back. It does look in the right place though to guide a shoulder seat belt if they were attached to a similar bracket at the back.

Is that part of a hole just visible under the left side screw? I wonder why???

Charlie.

Bob is correct the seat came from the last 3 of the production line.

Looking in more detail at it the bracket has welds at either end and where the bolt passes through the back of the seat there is nothing on the back side just the cut off or snapped off bolts .

So i am thinking that it was a retaining plate for a handle or strap on the rear of the seat.  If not a factory fitment then fine i can progress. It's just that i seem to think that  i have seen this before

P1010376.JPG

That could well tie up with my seat belt theory.
If the screws were longer (as you say they have been either cut off or snapped) they could go through the rear part of the seat cover.
The seat belt would be positioned between the screws and then a metal plate put over the top. As long as the metal plate was not screwed down fully then the seat belt would still be free to slide through (For when tilting the seat), but would stop it dropping off the shoulder.

It just looks so similar to the set up on my Restall seats that I wonder if it was a  (slightly) common mod in the days when seat belts first came in.

Charlie.

I thought that i had seen this before on the rear of the tilting seat TR 2 / 3

Should have searched my own lock up. Still no wiser as to what it's for or if standard . So i have 2 sets of seats both with this on them

Am i really the only one ?

Roy

P1010377.JPG

P1010378.JPG

As the tilting seat is the passenger seat, if this was for a seat belt wouldn't it be on the left hand side for the belt to go over the left shoulder? 

Or am I missing something? 

Miles

Forget about where the tilting seat should live for the moment.

The first picture (the stripped seat) has the bracket on the left hand side of the seat, looking from the back.

The picture of the seat with the trim still on has the bracket on the right hand side, looking from the back.

Therefore…

You have 2 seats, one with a bracket for the driver’s seatbelt, and one for the passenger’s seat belt.

The fact that the tilting seat “Should” be the passenger seat doesn’t really matter.

We all know how many cars today are nothing like they left the factory.

Maybe at some stage a PO fitted two tilting seats, and at the same time added the seat belt brackets.

Charlie.

Thanks Charlie

i get what you are saying although the 2 seats photoed came from 2 different cars . I know it dosen't mean much.

Roy

On 5/18/2020 at 9:31 PM, roy53 said:

I thought that i had seen this before on the rear of the tilting seat TR 2 / 3

Should have searched my own lock up. Still no wiser as to what it's for or if standard . So i have 2 sets of seats both with this on them

Am i really the only one ?

Roy

P1010377.JPG

P1010378.JPG

Not a matching pair of screw heads so I would doubt the factory had anything to do with this mod.

I think there was once a fad of fitting seat belts attached to seats.  That might explain the 'reinforcing' plate under the nuts that are inside the seat covering. Why when a couple of penny washers would have done?  Do the bases of the squab that the cushion sit in have  drilled or other similar screw holes?

Cheers

Peter W

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT