24 minutes ago, richard61 said:

I live in the South Lakes, my asthmatic daughter who has been isolating religiously has caught the Covid. You are welcome to share the anguish, or you can be sensible 

So sorry to hear that. I hope she is receiving the best treatment

Andy

1 hour ago, richard61 said:

I live in the South Lakes, my asthmatic daughter who has been isolating religiously has caught the Covid. You are welcome to share the anguish, or you can be sensible 

I am very sorry to read this, I hope your daughter gets the best care possible. One wonders how this was transmitted to your daughter?

There may be method by SAGE in allowing driving out to the open. About 1 in 400 of UK is infected ar present, so the risk of infecting another is very low in the open air. By comparison with bus or tube travel, private cars  are minimal risk. And a little sunbathing goes along way in minimising covid. Overall the threat to raising the Ro number will be low from 'driving out' However I can synpathise with the threat to local communties invaded with hoardes of visitors. In consolation those visitors are going to infect between themselves at a low rate, whcih is what SAGE wants. Only 4% of UK population has had covid, so SAGE has to get that number up towards the 70% needed for herd immunity. "Driving out" may be deliberate ploy to infect , at a controllable rate.

This graphically illustrates the incidence across England. Some areas with very low numbers and low population density, other areas with  much higher numbers but similar population density......D94D68A3-F5E3-40C7-9924-AFD60D7F229B.thumb.png.a0b72f39d61a4afa6e869e5ae0260bdd.png

1 hour ago, iain said:

This graphically illustrates the incidence across England. Some areas with very low numbers and low population density, other areas with  much higher numbers but similar population density......D94D68A3-F5E3-40C7-9924-AFD60D7F229B.thumb.png.a0b72f39d61a4afa6e869e5ae0260bdd.png

This breakdown is incredible, why is Cumbria worse than the majority of London with the exception of Brent? Perhaps this is also showing D3 deficiency in the Cumbrian population as it does rain a lot there.

12 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

This breakdown is incredible, why is Cumbria worse than the majority of London with the exception of Brent? Perhaps this is also showing D3 deficiency in the Cumbrian population as it does rain a lot there.

Guess who was the most foreign tourists 

14 minutes ago, ntc said:

Guess who was the most foreign tourists 

Were tourist still arriving in the Lakes after the lock down on March 23rd?  Are there many tourists in the Lakes during December, January and February? Do many Chinese visit the Lakes during the winter?

Roger and I have reason to believe that we may have had Cov19 on the two to three weeks approaching 19th Jan as we had these symptoms back then and were both ill for a long time with a very  bad cough, tiredness, headaches, lack of appetite and Roger had to have antibiotics and help with his Asthma. Until the test that tells us we have had it comes out, we will never know for sure.

2 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

Were tourist still arriving in the Lakes after the lock down on March 23rd?  Are there many tourists in the Lakes during December, January and February? Do many Chinese visit the Lakes during the winter?

Roger and I have reason to believe that we may have had Cov19 on the two to three weeks approaching 19th Jan as we had these symptoms back then and were both ill for a long time with a very  bad cough, tiredness, headaches, lack of appetite and Roger had to have antibiotics and help with his Asthma. Until the test that tells us we have had it comes out, we will never know for sure.

Sue

You are correct on your first point having had a boat in the lakes for many years those you mentioned go there all year round and in big numbers 

As I posted elsewhere there will be many that have had it and mistaken it for flu don’t ask me how I know 

39 minutes ago, ntc said:

Sue

You are correct on your first point having had a boat in the lakes for many years those you mentioned go there all year round and in big numbers 

As I posted elsewhere there will be many that have had it and mistaken it for flu don’t ask me how I know 

Neil, we have a Chinese Restaurant here which is not for the likes of us. We often see coaches parked up on The Uxbridge Road ( which is the Oxford Road a continuation of Oxford Street, London to Oxford) six coaches at one time, the occupants are all Chinese and they use this Restuarant, how they fit them all in I don’t know? The Restuarant does not have a very good hygiene  rating either.
I now have reason to believe that these people arrive at Heathrow and are transported around London etc and taken to this Restuarant local to us before being transported to Oxford and Oxfordshire as we always see Chinese tourists at Bibury. Presumably they make their way up the country via the Lakes and on to Scotland as, again, we always see them in Oban. 
My eyes have been opened tonight regarding these tourists and to be honest I am shocked!

I hope when John Morrison was pleading for people not to go to the Lakes it was because he didn’t want Covid19 spread there , as I originally thought, and not to prevent us catching it there. If it was the latter, I sincerely offer my apologies.

In response to the comments about Covid 19 being in the UK earlier, I think we should be very cautious. There have been a number of persistent cold/ flu bugs around since late 2019 early 2020. Until we have a reliable antibody test, those who think ( as opposed to proven by testing) they have had it would do well to behave as if they hadn’t. Assuming you have immunity could prove very costly. I very much look forward to getting the antibody test once Roche DoH MHRA have approved. Until then nothing changes.
Iain

14 hours ago, iain said:

That is fascinating. I live in the dark patch in N Wales. The whole of N Wales (above the two lighter patches) has about one tenth of the number died than the Swamsea-Cardiff-Newport conurbation.  I had thought  our low  population density in the north offered soem protection, but not any more.

It seems my neighbours might not be taking lockdown seriously, as we are not a touristy area, nor especially a dormitory area for commuters to a city. Most everyone in our area has to run a car there is almost no buses.  Combine that mobility with a high density of extended families who have lived here for many generations...and rural roads that are never policed - and we could be seeing grannies being infected with illicit family visits.

I doubt it is D3 levels, Snowdonia has much higher rainfall than us, but has half the covid.

On the local news,  Dartmoor yesterday car parks were full,  traffic parked along the road , According to the park ranges they needed to close car parks to prevent further cramming. People were not doing sufficient distancing. They are asking people to stay away today.

Business are pointing out while there is foot fall obviously no one is spending as everyone is closed.
while it is a big area people seem to cumulated at the main tourist points unless you know the area it’s inevitably it appears. 

It’s not just the lakes.   

Without wishing to stir up too much trouble, I'm a bit surprised by all the worry about the number of visitors to national parks etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely there is still easily enough space to stay 2m away from those around you.  If it can be managed in cities and super-market car parks (which it can), then Dartmoor should be a doddle.  The distancing is 2m not 200m, isn't it?

Obviously, I'm missing something!!

Tim

Haha Tim.

It is all a matter of scale. Perhaps your parks are a bit bigger than ours. According to Google, Canada's biggest National Park is Wood Buffalo, I've never heard of it, but it is over twice the size of Wales. Most UK parks have limited car parking so people are forced into tight spaces with most of the park left empty unless you walk a long way.

However, I agree with you, there is plenty of space but sadly many people just go to the well known areas and car parks, then stick together.

Mick

Tim

You would think so, however that’s not what the National Park Rangers think, the numbers descending on a supermarket compared to those descending  on Dartmoor after lockdown perhaps not.

Dartmoor as large as it is, in reality has limited car parks,  parking off road is frowned on. Staff due to limited finance unlike supermarkets Is minimal and unable to control the area as occurs in a retail outlet.

Edited by Derek Hurford
14 minutes ago, TorontoTim said:

Without wishing to stir up too much trouble, I'm a bit surprised by all the worry about the number of visitors to national parks etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely there is still easily enough space to stay 2m away from those around you.  If it can be managed in cities and super-market car parks (which it can), then Dartmoor should be a doddle.  The distancing is 2m not 200m, isn't it?

Obviously, I'm missing something!!

Tim

I'm afraid you are Tim.  Derek is telling the truth. On the way back from Plymouth yesterday there were loads of cars ....everywhere.

The main car parks were full to the brim and cars parked along the road . People were not social distancing and mainly congregated around the popular parts of the moor. Like the sheep , horses and cattle, the people were in close groups !!

The number of groups of cyclists has increased. A lot side by side  yapping away. 

And...the well off tight arse selfish gits are back. Turn up in 4x4 s , the ones that have never seen mud....and park outside the village shops. Why? Because they are to poor to pay  the small car park fee and would rather park up all day for nothing. 

The car park fee was brought in so the National Parks could raise money for upkeep and essential maintenance ...for these people to use the park, but  who don't want to pay.

Fair enough then, chaps. 

I find it hard to believe that people are more crowded together in the countryside (even in crowded car parks) than in Tesco's car park in the middle of Manchester or somewhere, but perhaps I under-estimate the ability of people to be numpties. 

And Mick, you are right, of course, about relative size of national parks, but still.

I hope everyone on the Forum manages to stay safe and well.

Tim

Hang on Crawfie I have had a 4x4 for years, so tight @rsed never,  well I don’t think so,  selfish git possibly, but I have definitely been on mud, though not on the moor, well not for 20 years other than on horses. 

People avoiding Parking charges, if you want to enjoy the facility it seems only reasonable to pay to park, It helps with maintenance.  As for shop parking perhaps if they stick up proper legal signs with parking charges, Shops And Pubs patrons only £5  an hour others. That way If they do park they will have an income even if they can’t sell them something.

Don’t let the people get you down and keep safe stop going out to Plymouth or anyware else just now. 

15 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

Hang on Crawfie I have had a 4x4 for years, so tight @rsed never,  well I don’t think so,  selfish git possibly, but I have definitely been on mud, though not on the moor, well not for 20 years other than on horses. 

People avoiding Parking charges, if you want to enjoy the facility it seems only reasonable to pay to park, It helps with maintenance.  As for shop parking perhaps if they stick up proper legal signs with parking charges, Shops And Pubs patrons only £5  an hour others. That way If they do park they will have an income even if they can’t sell them something.

Don’t let the people get you down and keep safe stop going out to Plymouth or anyware else just now. 

How do I know if you wear undersized underwear or not  ??

point taken about the shop parking. The postmaster is on the council so it  be it is something that could be taken on board.

Unfortunately Plymouth was a necessity yesterday !

My wife has an aversion to Plymouth, being a born and bread Exetertonian ( is that right ?)