Evening all

Just started to strip the grill down as the paint on the aluminium grill is lifting along with the metal frame due to surface rust but I'm not sure if it was originally a gloss or satin black finish?

There is also a long extruded anodised rail which has some pitting. I guess these are no longer available along with the rotten black ribbon I found in one of the channels. Thinking of powder coating this silver would this be the correct colour?

Might then simply paint black the bottom of the channel to simulate the ribbon.

What's everyone else done?

Thanks

Andy 

Hi Andy

I’ve recently been refurbing the grille on my 72.

The lower finisher, if we are talking about the same thing is 714831, is still available and comes in black, I got one.

The thing that isn’t available is the steel L section grille surround. Mine was shot but fortunately  Bill944T, on here, was good enough to donate a SH one he had for a donation to his charity. Top man.

Its now more or less finished as you can see in the pic and I went for Satin black, don’t know if that’s correct or not but couldn’t really imagine it being gloss.

However as mine is a 72 I should NOT have the upper and lower chrome trims, but they look nice.

Also before you fit the grille black out the body colour behind it. Good guide to that on Bullfire.net page 114. How’s the badge? again mine was shot and the new one I bought was useless so I had to refurb the old one, again using Ed’s guide on Bullfire.net

Worth doing though as a nice grille looks good, esp when I take the blue protective film off the shiny bits and fit a black strip in the central bar

Cheers  Keith

Grille.thumb.jpg.a5c97a2bd5ff083f430ad27840c0fc36.jpg

Hi Andy. I refurbished my 1972 grill about 4 years ago. I had the black part of the grill and lower finisher powder coated satin black and the centre strip powder coated silver. As for the black cloth strip which was falling apart I used a pinstripe tape. Still looks like new. All the best peter

Thanks Keith/Peter

Powder coat Satin black it is. The Pin Stripe tape a neat trick.

Keith I'm lucky the badge is enamelled and along with the chrome surround has buffed up really well, The metal frame has surface rust but is otherwise solid.

Andy 

AEA29443-F244-4F6D-96C8-76FEF71E9208.thumb.jpeg.453c487381755bb53265656ebd8972bf.jpegHad both grill and badge bar powder coated ,fortunately cloth strip was still in one piece. This I glued on rather than use the two clips.

Badge and plinth were both shot , got this enamelled one from  the USA . Powder coat was supposedly satin( not sure myself).

Hi Andy

Good that the badge is good nick. My original enamelled one was badly damaged but the new one was not great as its curve just did not fit the plinth and i'm sure tightening the nuts to try to bend it to the plinth would have just cracked it.

So i followed Ed's method and refurbed the original in body colour.

Not 100% but looks ok and slightly unusual  Not too obvious as my body colour is Sapphire.

Cheers  Keith

Badge before refurb.jpg

Refurbed Badge.jpg