TR2 newbie - introduction

Hi There,

I am  a TR-newbie from Germany and thought it may be polite to introduce myself first before starting to ask stupid questions here in this forum ...:rolleyes:

My name is Oliver and I live in the very south of Germany (Lake of Constance) . I am into car and motorcycle restauration for quite some years now, however vehicles of British provenience were limited to a Series 2 Land Rover for a long time. This has recently changed and a neat 1955 TR2 has joined the family now.  The car came back from the US some 20 years ago, has undergone a thorough but chewy restoration over pretty much the same period of time by the previous owner (who now finally gave up and decided to sell it). The car is in decent shape, however a lot of smaller tasks remain to be finished. A perfect “shut down period project” ….

I am looking forward to participate in this excellent forum and sincerely hope to meet one or the other of you in person at some classic car show or swap meet in the UK in the near future…

Kind regards

Oliver

rr.jpg

Hello Oliver, nice to see another great looking TR2, here.

First recommendation from my side: Replace the orange TR3 side indicators by the original white glasses. That was also one of my first improvements when I acquired my TR2.

That would make your TR2 look so much better. ;)

glasses: https://www.limora.com/de/englische-marken/triumph/triumph-tr2-bis-tr4a-1953-1967/elektrik-zuendanlage-heizung-und-armaturenbrett/vorderer-blinker-und-standlicht/glas-9678.html

You will also need orange bulbs: https://www.ebay.de/i/122547039378

1 hour ago, tr2_applegreen said:

First recommendation from my side: Replace the orange TR3 side indicators by the original white glasses. That was also one of my first improvements when I acquired my TR2.

glasses: https://www.limora.com/de/englische-marken/triumph/triumph-tr2-bis-tr4a-1953-1967/elektrik-zuendanlage-heizung-und-armaturenbrett/vorderer-blinker-und-standlicht/glas-9678.html

Hi Tony, Hi Applegreen (which by the way in my opinion is a great color for a TR2)

Many  thanks for the welcome.  As the car has always been registered with a temporary plate only, it still has to pass the TÜV (German MOT).  I have just learned, that the red taillights with integrated indicators and the single center stop light are not an issue for cars before 1970 - (This makes me happy as I actually expected some push back on this). I am not sure about the TÜVs opinion  on white front indicators with orange bulbs- and may just exchange them as soon as I have passed the MOT:rolleyes: . Anyhow, I agree that they look great.

By the way, here Comes the first stupid question: How does the original back of the glove box flap look like ? Is it painted in car Color ?

Cheers

Oliver

1 hour ago, tr2_applegreen said:

Better still convert to LED bulbs.    Unless you wish to remain "as original".  I cam happy to advise on which ones to go for.

Bob.

Glove box flap is plain aluminium and will polish OK But take care with the small tab used for the retaining link. Mine broke off and I used a small rt. angle bracket from a picture framer. It is chrome and needs a hole and rebating into the lid. But in the end it is almost the same, much stronger and very few people  will spot it Good luck Richard &   B

7 hours ago, Moliver said:

Hi Tony, Hi Applegreen (which by the way in my opinion is a great color for a TR2)

Many  thanks for the welcome.  As the car has always been registered with a temporary plate only, it still has to pass the TÜV (German MOT).  I have just learned, that the red taillights with integrated indicators and the single center stop light are not an issue for cars before 1970 - (This makes me happy as I actually expected some push back on this). I am not sure about the TÜVs opinion  on white front indicators with orange bulbs- and may just exchange them as soon as I have passed the MOT:rolleyes: . Anyhow, I agree that they look great.

By the way, here Comes the first stupid question: How does the original back of the glove box flap look like ? Is it painted in car Color ?

Cheers

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

while I totally agree with the idea to change the front indicator lenses to white glass, you might need new lampholders to do this. The bulb is set forward in the 'beehive' glass shaped lampholder and the flat white glass won't fit over the bulbs. It will depend which lampholder you have fitted.

I tried this myself on my 2 and failed so had to get new lamp holders.

Take one of the orange lenses off first and see if the bulb is set forward - if it is, you have the non-flat glass type.

Bob

18 hours ago, Lebro said:

Better still convert to LED bulbs.    Unless you wish to remain "as original".  I cam happy to advise on which ones to go for.

Bob.

Welcome Oliver and a lovely looking car. 

On my 3A I have retained the clear lenses but installed LED bulbs which are white when used as sidelights but are orange when the indictor is used: originality and safety. Bob's your man to advise on LEDs.

Miles

Welcome from an Australian member. You have a very nice TR2 there.

I have a soft spot for TR2s. Both are 1954 builds. The BRG (TS5038O) short door is the daily driver. The red long door (TS3732O) was restored over the last 3 years as close to original as I can get it. Both are very nice driving cars.

Enjoy yours, they must be rare in Germany.

IMG_2711.JPG

Complete RHS front.JPG

Complete RHS rear.JPG

Complete RHS.JPG

Welcome Oliver from me too.

I also have the white side/orange flash led's - supplied by Bob (Lebro) along with his rear side and brake led's - which mean I have three rear (bright) brake lights rather than just the one central

Rod

+1 for Bob’s (Lebro) rear LED light set-up. Brake/Side/Flasher all looking original but much safer than the feeble original bulbs - especially when being followed down the road by a 40 tonner on a dark, wet evening !!

Nice looking car by the way.

Chris