Can we have a drive yet

Clearly there is a divided view on this subject......expect the same from all those you see on the road.

It’s  a free country, but we should all have one common aim, to beat this Virus and I agree with Chris we have a very long way to go.

Well this is quite a subject !

i’m dying to get out in the TR, or on one of the bikes!

set against this is the Social responsibility Aspect, which i think has two parts :

firstly do nothing that could contribute to a raise in the infection rate R number

secondly do nothing that unnecessarily risks stressing the NHS

hence i’ve not been out on a bike as this risks needing the nhs if i had an accident, unlikely yes but unnecessary

from Wednesday I do plan to have a cautious ride/drive in the TR to take a walk somewhere quiet as i live on the outskirts of london.

i don’t see how going for a drive in the TR and staying 2m away from anyone else raises the R number , neither does it risk stressing the NHS which are the two critieria i think?

stay safe everyone, we’ll get through this eventually!

steve

The areas I would be most concerned about are, re-fueling, breaking down, having an accident. All could result in unnecessary exposure of you or others.  Only you as an individual can assess those risks. That is the point, we as a society better get used to it. Our individual choice affects our societal outcome in this difficult time.

Have you listened to the countrywide traffic reports this morning? M4 closed in Wales due to an accident, some other motorway closed for a Police investigation, traffic jams in London. Looks like we are getting back to how it used to be already. Stay safe.

I'm continuing to use my classics for essential shopping trips, as I have since lockdown began. I take a shopping list and shopping bags with me which should provide evidence of the nature of my journey. No problems do far.

From tomorrow, I will use classics to drive to locations to walk for exercise. I won't go too far, certainly no more than 30 mins from home.

A local police officer friend told me their time is taken up in towns, dealing with domestic abuse and flagrant breaches of lockdown, plus traffic cops dealing with some ridiculous speeding offences on quiet roads.

Nigel

The whole rule's update seems a bit confusing and vague at present.

As for those of us over 70 or have underlying health conditions and have been shielding there is still another three weeks to go until the next review. so the answer should be no, going out is still not an option.

As for the rest of us in England its a matter of personal opinion. The wife and I both suffer from COPD and are on medication mrs R has had a shielding letter while I had one telling me I was not required to shield . Both living in the same household so how does that work?.

Apart from walking the dog I also have been keeping distance from the outside world , in case I brought something home. While out I have seen quite a few modern sports cars driving on the main road through the village top down enjoying the weather. So I can see little difference in using our TRs for " essential " travel.

Brian

1 hour ago, iain said:

The areas I would be most concerned about are, re-fueling, breaking down, having an accident. All could result in unnecessary exposure of you or others.  Only you as an individual can assess those risks. That is the point, we as a society better get used to it. Our individual choice affects our societal outcome in this difficult time.

Earlier in the thread you said "it’s doing what we are being asked to do".

Well the powers that be have said you can now use your car to go distances, refuelling ? I have done it 3 times since lockdown and used "at pump payment" not even talking to anybody. THEY the powers that be have determined that us breaking down or having an accident is of so low a priority that we can again use a car ANY CAR to go out in.

How can you say that NOT using your TR because you feel bad about it is not just Gold Plating regulations ?

When I was at work one of the reps chose a BMW as a company car, the cars were leased and the leasing company INSISTED that he chose a sunroof as factory fitment...why ? because it so increased the saleability and used value when again sold that the cost of the sunroof was lost in the deal and the car was actually cheaper ! The sales director threw a fit when he saw the car arrive complete with sunroof. After realising he had lost the argument when shown the leasing company cheaper quote his parting words to the reps were " you may have a sunroof but if you drive into this yard with it open you and I will be having words about it" ! We thought our trousers would never dry !

Read the regulations and comply with them in full, if you want to use the TR do so, it's a car like anything else and complies with it...as long as the underlying reason is correct. Oh...and for certain my car is as reliable than a modern with the advantage if it stops I can get it restarted at roadside and drive home without recourse to computer and whizz kid mechanic.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
40 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

Have you listened to the countrywide traffic reports this morning? M4 closed in Wales due to an accident, some other motorway closed for a Police investigation, traffic jams in London. Looks like we are getting back to how it used to be already. Stay safe.

Sue this is no surprise, my business means I have continued to travel. Driving standards have been unbelievably bad. I wish I had a dash cam to share some of the outrageous stupidity I have seen. A lot of drivers have forgotten what driving in traffic is like, they don't heed give way signs, they don't look  at junctions, they jump lights, they use 3 lanes as slalom courses....

Good old fashioned British common sense,  there are always lines, and some who cross them and the majority who do not.

The Govt., as I understand this says, we can drive our cars as far as we like, its more a case of what we do when we get to where we are going, social distancing, staying safe being the keys here.

Our plan tomorrow, Wednesday, is to take the car, 10 miles or so, for a picnic. to a normally secluded spot, hopefully, because of all that has happened it will be still quite secluded!

Weather will determine if its the Eurobox or the TR, I can see nothing  in anything that has been said since Sunday, that could get me in any trouble with the authorities, or anybody else by doing this.

John.

John,

“British common sense,“ trouble is it’s not that common !

We are caught between those that take no notice of anything or any legislation and those who are the complete opposite. A little like the forlorn Japanese soldiers still defending an abandoned tropical island long after wars end, a decade from now we will find unfortunates still isolating themselves and reading into the laws of the country restrictions that don’t exist !

Mick Richards

Having used my TR6 a few times for shopping trips I had thought about what I would say if questioned on the choice of car. My logic is, as stated earlier, the TR is as reliable as a modern car and as I have rebuild everything on the car at least once, often twice, over the last 39 years I know it very well, have a boot full of spares and tools. If my Skoda has a hiccup, I can only call my breakdown insurance.  Having said that, I still felt guilty about doing it. It is a difficult choice and all about minimising risk whilst living your life in uncertain times.

Mick

Taking out your car is the topic This virus has brought about many opinions on our forum which I have contributed to perhaps more than I should some might say. Forgive me but it has helped me pass the time of day.  Reading this brings to mind other comments what we should or should not do. 

I’ve listened to ridicule of the Government a cleaner can come into your house but not family member, it sounds ridiculous except having a family member around doesn’t help the economy. It doesn’t get cleaners working and the Government want, no need the resurgent of the economy. Also your less likely to interact will a relative stranger than a family member. 

Cleaners go from house to house.  Their professional, their products the nature of the business is to clean surfaces. Provided there is a process a rigid routine and distancing the risk is reduced. While it won’t eliminate it, but keeping it below the R rate below 1 is the intention. 1 on 1. If I intended using a cleaner I’d know what regime they had in place before they entered my property and I’d distance myself with no interaction they are hear to do a job.

One member of your family’s can see you in a public place, just one, Why?  Why in a public place?
R rate 1  on 1 means you reduce the risk. It’s the Government trying to instil the message keep R below 1.

I have been  staying in, isolating but some might say I’m cheating, my daughter from time to time drops something off, but stands back metres apart.  We chat at the door while she down the path. Sometimes she brings a collapsible chair sits in the garden on the grass and we chat, even to both my wife and myself I’m fortunate I have the facilities, but at a distance. I don’t need someone to say it’s alright or undermine the governments message by saying on the media you are spreading mix message, I do it quietly. Knowing that I have not endangered her or us.

I have no intentions of rushing out in my car or meeting her in a park or any where or anyone else for that matter just because I have permission. But if I need to go out I can’t see the problem taking my TR it just as reliable as anything else. I can’t feel guilty for that. Being over 70 or having a serious life treating illness should not come into it  in fact, it’s more reason to get out and about but that’s something else. 

When Or if I go out, when stop I will take every precaution to remain safe,  But I understand others might not and perhaps why others have concerns. 

Edited by Derek Hurford
19 minutes ago, Geko said:

On the bright side, it's more difficult to fly than drive these days

No, it's going to be easy to fly. Michael O'Leary of Ryanair told us on the TV this morning. No need for social distancing, the planes will be booked until they're full, we just need to wear a mask and ask permission when we want to get up for the loo. It'll be fine. And the government's planned self isolation requirements on entry to UK are, according to public health expert O'Leary, ineffective and the public won't obey them anyway.

(Full disclosure: I wasn't O'Leary's number one fan even before all this.) 

Nigel

Re your post just above Derek, I agree- we are being asked to use our common sense and consider the risks when we do anything, remain alert if you like - or as the French message says: "sauvez des vies, restez prudents", which roughly translates to "save lives, stay cautious". Effectively the same message.

Most, especially the media, have been asking for a plan to lift, slowly, the lockdown and now we have one - with 50 plus pages of guidance. The Government was being harangued with comments such as 'treat us as adults not children' and 'we can be trusted to respond to guidance', yet the media encourage inane questions regarding lack of clarity and seem determined to give airtime to those who want to ask ridiculous questions without challenge to the obvious lack of thought or whether they have read the guidance (I doubt whether the journalists/interviewers have either).

I believe, or at least hope, the vast majority of sensible people will use common sense and the guidance to get their businesses back up and running, or back to work as an employee. As for the visiting cleaner for those that need that service, or plumber, or other tradesman visiting a property - surely the common sense approach is to use social distancing, appropriate cleaning before/afterwards etc etc.

We have to come out of this soon else I fear for the economy and what our children and grandchildren will be suffering and paying for many many years to come.

Edited by Rod1883
24 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

Most, especially the media, have been asking for a plan to lift, slowly, the lockdown and now we have one - with 50 plus pages of guidance. The Government was being harangued with comments such as 'treat us as adults not children' and 'we can be trusted to respond to guidance', yet the media encourage inane questions regarding lack of clarity and seem determined to give airtime to those who want to ask ridiculous questions without challenge to the obvious lack of thought or whether they have read the guidance (I doubt whether the journalists/interviewers have either)

Sadly, that's exactly where the UK finds itself. The Westminster government attempts a grown up conversation about the way forward and the media respond with juvenile points scoring attempts, as do some of the devolved assembly politicians.

Nigel

3 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

Sadly, that's exactly where the UK finds itself. The Westminster government attempts a grown up conversation about the way forward and the media respond with juvenile points scoring attempts, as do some of the devolved assembly politicians.

Nigel

Makes me realise how damaging cognitive dissonance can be.

46 minutes ago, Geko said:

Makes me realise how damaging cognitive dissonance can be.

Cognitive dissonance must be near the top of the skill set required of tabloid editors and tv journos. A sense of responsibility and civic duty features much lower on the list.

Nigel