Can we have a drive yet

Hi All.

After the governments announcements yesterday saying we are allowed to drive to beaches etc does this now allow us to go for a drive ?

What's the thinking ?

Cheers Mark. 

We were never in total lockdown so I did take the TR6 out a few times when the weather allowed it. I keep a face mask and hand sanitizer in all the cars and nitrile gloves in case I need to get gas. I never went far from home and I figured in the unlikely event that I got into trouble my wife could pick me up and I would collect the TR with the trailer. I have been doing the grocery shopping every 10 days so the TR6 is too small for grocery shopping. We will start opening things up here in MA slowly on May 18, New Hampshire where I do most of my shopping started today.

TR's dont like to be parked for long periods and even a short run around the block will be beneficial to you and the TR.

Stan

This is a hard one to call. I think we all are of the same mindset in that we think "not the done thing" to drive around in a classic when we nearly all have a "reliable modern " set of wheels. Before anyone has a go , I know that our cars can be more reliable than a new one !!!

My 6 has now been idle since last November. Tyres pumped up and wired up to a trickle charger. Talked too on a regular basis and tickled with a micro fibre duster and polished  up with Meguiars. 

The neighbours curtains have been twitching when i open up the garage.....

My nearest supermarket is 10 miles away, a nice 20 mile round trip......use the 6 for a shopping trip ???

I must admit...I'm tempted !!

I think that the reason for not using the TR for an essential shopping trip for food is not the practical aspect but the perception from others of joy riding. Obviously it is always a joy to drive a TR! If my Audi breaks down it will guarantee the attendance of a third party from outside my household and the car will probably have shut down until a computer arrives. If the 3 breaks down it can probably be nursed home and given the necessary care or be towed home by the wife thus ensuring nobody outside the household is inconvenienced. 

Very difficult decision but.... I'll sleep on it!

Tim

If you need to do essential shopping or travel to your choice of exercise location there is absolutely no issue with using your TR - or any any other vehicle of your choice - to make the journey.

...... Andy 

Don’t Gold plate the lockdown instructions.

As you say yourself your Classic is as good as your modern for reliability... go use it, it’s just a car. The bonus that you will enjoy it more is just a plus, no need for a hair shirt.

Mick Richards

I don’t think this is Gold Plating the rules, it’s doing what we are being asked to do. That is taking personal responsibility for our own actions.If you  are confident that what your doing is publicly acceptable and in the spirit of the guidance go for it. Personally I think it’s too early to be taking unnecessary risks.

Having isolated since March 10th only going out once with blood tests. I had an appointment at Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital today for my check up and intended taking the TR 50 mile round trip. 

With the XF SORNed I was really looking forward to have a genuine reason to drive it. A phone call dashed that, it had been changed to a phone appointment. 

From Wednesday I am allowed to drive it  if I need to, I will and not feel guilty. :D

37 minutes ago, iain said:

I don’t think this is Gold Plating the rules, it’s doing what we are being asked to do. That is taking personal responsibility for our own actions.If you  are confident that what your doing is publicly acceptable and in the spirit of the guidance go for it. Personally I think it’s too early to be taking unnecessary risks.

"I don’t think this is Gold Plating the rules"

The man is collecting essential supplies from a shop, there is nothing in what we are being instructed  to do that denies him using his choice of car...to suggest so is gold plating the rules and needless adherence to non existing restrictions makes the public more liable to break existing restrictions that it IS important not to break.

Mick Richards

15 minutes ago, ntc said:

I would have thought your chances of being pulled over might be high 

It’ll be worth £100. I guess though if it’s permitted it’s permitted and providing I distance myself and my plus 1 is my wife. It should be OK. 

1 minute ago, stillp said:

I think the intent is that you can drive somewhere to exercise, so as long as you get out of the car and walk around...

Pete

Have you forgotten the rest of the instructions from the government ? essential purposes collecting shopping etc are allowed also.

Mick Richards

12 minutes ago, Derek Hurford said:

It’ll be worth £100. I guess though if it’s permitted it’s permitted and providing I distance myself and my plus 1 is my wife. It should be OK. 

The only goal we must all do is get the R down so we can get to where we all want to be 

25 minutes ago, ntc said:

Oh dear just saying make sure everything is in order come on who found that not good to point out 

I just "liked" your point, both on principle (I don't like this anonymous system) and for the simple reason that I agree with you.

No sign of change yet, here in the Republic. Travelling permitted only for essential reasons.

21 minutes ago, ntc said:

The only goal we must all do is get the R down so we can get to where we all want to be 

1 hour ago, Derek Hurford said:

From Wednesday I am allowed to drive it  if I need to, I will and not feel guilty

Only if I need to, 

Edited by Derek Hurford

I used my TR3a for a trip to the supermarket last week and used a fairly roundabout route for the trip home.  I did see a Plod car at one point but he wasn't interested in me.  From Wednesday, if I have a genuine reason for going out in the car and the weather is appropriate, I shall probably  use the TR again.  I would draw the line at going for a drive just for the sake of it.

Rgds Ian

I do a supermarket shop every 14 days in the hatchback.   I don't feel it is right to be seen enjoying a drive in a classic car at this time.   I also drive slower to conserve fuel and lengthen the need to visit a petrol station.  My wife and I will remain in lock-down for another 3 weeks.  I hope the Police will be out in force clamping down on any joy-riders.  We still have a long way to go.  Tough times.

Chris.

8 hours ago, Peter V W said:

The politicians are dividing the UK with different rules in the four countries.

I don’t think this is a good idea.

Enjoy your drive, but don’t cross the border!

You cross into Wales....stopped by the police...."for you the drive is over "