Early Racetorations Rocker Cover.

Hi All

Ive had a search for an answer to this with no luck, so I’ll have to ask. I have an early (20 year plus) rocker cover from Racetorations that was originally fitted with a flat cork gasket. The current offering have a rounded channel that takes the newer O ring seal. I’ve spoken to Darryl about this and said he would let me know if he had any cork gaskets left, however I’ve heard nothing so assume he hasn’t. Before I have a go at making my own, has anyone had a similar problem.

Thanks

Cameron

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
Wrong thread.

Interesting

i have a 1990’s racetorations rocker cover which came to me with a leaky cork gasket, Darryl supplied a new o ring gasket which has been good since 2012.

steve

Interesting indeed. When I spoke to Darryl last week he wasn’t confident that the O ring would work with the flat grove. Obviously from you experience Steve, they do.I assume the O ring won’t sit in the flat grove and you just have to carefully watching its position as you tighten the cover down.

Thanks for your help

Cameron  

Can't see why a "O" ring gasket would not work not real pressure to deal with.

For added peace of mind why not run a bead of silicone in the channel then the "O" ring?

Andy 

I stuck mine in with some silicon gasket, left to dry on a flat surface overnight.

lightly oiled the mating face before fitting the next fay so it didnt stick

All good so far

steve

19 hours ago, Cameron said:

Hi All

Ive had a search for an answer to this with no luck, so I’ll have to ask. I have an early (20 year plus) rocker cover from Racetorations that was originally fitted with a flat cork gasket. The current offering have a rounded channel that takes the newer O ring seal. I’ve spoken to Darryl about this and said he would let me know if he had any cork gaskets left, however I’ve heard nothing so assume he hasn’t. Before I have a go at making my own, has anyone had a similar problem.

Thanks

Cameron

The cork gasket that was originally fitted to the pressed steel cover how different is that  to Darryl's cover design? if it is, can it be modified to suit? I have one of his later covers with the rubber beading. You can buy rubber beading of different sizes, you may be able to adapt to suit! My cover gave me a lot of aggro by leaking from the neck area. To his credit he tried to sort that problem out, in the end I had to sort it out by a redesign the neck fitting and filler cap. Having done that it then suffered from porous casting and then had to be vacuum sealed. I have had no problems since. I have now noticed that the whole cover has been completely redesigned! It looks to have gone over to the old SAH design for the filler area and machined out of solid.

Bruce.

I don't know the size of the Restorations cover.

Is the Restorations cover the same dimensions as the old pressed steel gasket?, Rimmers  and Moss do a Silicone rubber gasket that fits the size of the steel cover and is shaped to fit it, and has worked well for me as you can take the cover on and off many times and does seal well, without too much pressure from the 3 mounting nuts.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GEG413URT

John

Thanks again all, the Other gaskets mentioned above do not fit the Racetorations cover,I did look at the Rimmers one at Stratford last year and it was much wider. 

My only concern was that Darryl wasn’t sure his current O ring gasket would work with the older flat groove covers, however Steve has found it can seal reliably. 
l’ve ordered one, however there out of stock, so could be a long wait. 

Cameron

On 5/13/2020 at 9:39 AM, Cameron said:

Thanks again all, the Other gaskets mentioned above do not fit the Racetorations cover,I did look at the Rimmers one at Stratford last year and it was much wider. 

My only concern was that Darryl wasn’t sure his current O ring gasket would work with the older flat groove covers, however Steve has found it can seal reliably. 
l’ve ordered one, however there out of stock, so could be a long wait. 

Cameron

Hi Cameron

As a stop gap you could try buying some silicone tube of the right diameter and making one by super gluing the ends together?

Andy