Logic device switch

Hi All.

With all this time on my hands I've decided to finally get round to fittthe logic device I have, kindly made by a forum member.

Revingtons offer a momentary switch for the columb, but to be honest it looks a bit poo. Has anyone altered there existing switch and if so how ?

cheers Mark.

Hi Mark, I too have the logic device made by one of our members, and removed the standard overdrive lever on the column. I liked the idea of the switch on the gear lever as per Dolomites but also because the lever always seemed a bit hit and miss and "wobbly". I normally activate overdrive after changing gear which is so easy when you are holding the gear lever. I love the way it also automatically  disconnects when going through the gate

I had a wooden gear knob made by a local wood carver, and bought a steel insert which was glued into the base to match the gear lever thread. In the top a hole was drilled to fit a momentary switch with integral blue LED. The wiring feeds down the gear shaft across the tunnel to the logic unit. I also added another blue LED to the facia wired to the solonoid to prove that the logic unit has done what asked to do, which was as easy modification.

Colin.

Hi Mark

I have the logic unit from Revington also did not like their switch so converted the original switch by cutting a small section of alloy and bonding it in to the grove on the switch and then fitting a small spring as a return so it is just a flick switch been working for over ten years now just take the cowl off and you will see the grove.

Hope this helps

Keith

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

Hi Mark, I too have the logic device made by one of our members, and removed the standard overdrive lever on the column. I liked the idea of the switch on the gear lever as per Dolomites but also because the lever always seemed a bit hit and miss and "wobbly". I normally activate overdrive after changing gear which is so easy when you are holding the gear lever. I love the way it also automatically  disconnects when going through the gate

I had a wooden gear knob made by a local wood carver, and bought a steel insert which was glued into the base to match the gear lever thread. In the top a hole was drilled to fit a momentary switch with integral blue LED. The wiring feeds down the gear shaft across the tunnel to the logic unit. I also added another blue LED to the facia wired to the solonoid to prove that the logic unit has done what asked to do, which was as easy modification.

Colin.

Photos attached Mark.

The gear-lever thread is 5/16" - 18 tpi UNC, just buy a hex threaded insert, epoxy into a suitable hole flush with the base of gear knob. Retain the existing lock nut so that you can orientate. You will need an additional drilled hole or channel from the bottom of the switch hole to the bottom of the gear knob for the two wires from the switch to the logic module. I brought a momentary switch/LED from RS Components, with the switch mounted flush with the top of the gear knob, so preventing accidental activation or deactivation. Easy to activate just "push on/push off". I added some additional protection components around the logic module, as there are huge discharge currents (hundreds of Amps), that circulate when the ignition is turned off.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Colin.

Colin.

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4769.JPG

IMG_4767.JPG

There is a simple mod that you can make that when used with a momentary switch will hold the O/D engaged until you change gear.

It uses a standard O/D relay and a diode. see attached wiring diagram. (negative Earth version). For positive Earth, reverse the !N4007 diode

88513912_OnerelayODcontroller.thumb.png.2866d90ecd66e65c5884839f1644b5d5.png

I have shown a LED , but a standard panel lamp could be used instead.

Kind regards

TT

Hi Mark,

I thnk it was me that made your logic box.

I initially used an old OD column switch and modified to it take a photo transistor.  It worked well but is complicated.

I now have  a press button switch on the end of a OD switch stalk. It works very well.  But again is a little complicated to make. Henc ethe Revington item being expensive.

A simply press button switch sitting on the end of a metal tube (3/16 - 1/4" OD)  the tube is then fixed into the cowl. I use a sort of glang nut that compressed onto the tube.  The pic shows the general idea 

Roger

P1030945a.jpg

Hi Roger.

Yes it was made by your fair hands, I think I'm there now with the switch. Just the wiring.....

you mentioned fitting a 1000ohms resistor inline for an led light would I just add it in the line to the light ?

if so would this be suitable ?

Cheers Mark.

IMG_3011.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi, i too have a trinda logic box and retain the original on/off column switch rather than the momentary one, the TR4A was fitted with it when i bought it. does anyone have a wiring diagram for the box, and any other info as to its internal operation would be helpful as well, thanks in advince, cheers richard

13 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

If you are going with the logic device the standard o/d switch isn't ideal because it isn't momentary so you would have to flick it on and off each time you engage it.

I have not personally found that to be a problem but I can see why some people prefer the momentary switch.

Stan

i am happy with the original switch but have an intermittant fault on the trinda where sometimes it does not disengae o/d when changing gear. to help diagnose the problem i want to wire in the indicator (not currently installed) so i can see what the box is doing thus showing if its the box at fault or something else sticking, but without a wiring diag.........

Hi DRD, many thanks for the diag, it looks like this uses the momentary switch rather than the original on off version i have. i understand from old posts on this forum that were 2 versions, to suit both types of switch, not sure what the wiring differences may be so if anyone has a diagramm for using the original on/off switch that would be great

1 hour ago, richardb said:

i am happy with the original switch but have an intermittant fault on the trinda where sometimes it does not disengae o/d when changing gear. to help diagnose the problem i want to wire in the indicator (not currently installed) so i can see what the box is doing thus showing if its the box at fault or something else sticking, but without a wiring diag.........

My first controller from Tim developed a fault after several years and would randomly drop out of overdrive. Tim replaced it shortly before he sadly and suddenly died. So far the new controller has been fine. I tried to use the OD without the controller while I waited for the replacement but I am so used to the logic controller I was happy to get a new one.

Stan

1 hour ago, richardb said:

Hi DRD, many thanks for the diag, it looks like this uses the momentary switch rather than the original on off version i have. i understand from old posts on this forum that were 2 versions, to suit both types of switch, not sure what the wiring differences may be so if anyone has a diagramm for using the original on/off switch that would be great

I also have these if they are any use?

The one I've got is the A-type with the relay, although the car has a J-type overdrive.

Instructions for A-Type Relay Neg.pdf Instructions for J-Type Standard.pdf

Hi DRD, thats great many thanks, the A type with relay seems to match what i have, so now i will get in the leg tunnell and figure out what is going on. interestingly the J type wiring shows that the full load of the solenoid is passing through the OD switch (and OD logic box), rather than being switched via a relay. i guess, but dont know that the solenoid on the J type must draw a lot less current. thanks again for your help. cheers richard