If you mean for arc welding you would need to be very skilled to be able to use it on panel work.

Stuart.

Not really, it was something that popped up whilst doing a search. It had a video along with it which showed that you heated up the metal or alli and this product melted along the join making what they say is a very strong joint.

I used those (Or something very similar) to construct a battery box out of sheet aluminium, they worked very well and the result was strong enough

steve

The video shows the resulting bond is a braze, with a very clever preparatory  process to get temperatures down and not need protective atmosphere. It appeals to me for its ingenuity. It's very neat. That's the theory.

In practice the key would be to get the first oxide bonding  done and then satisfactorily working through the oxide in  bond area with the pick to form an intermetallic.

Probably OK for seams on flat surfaces as demonstrated , concern would be working on irregular surfaces.

-  might need some practice!

If ultimate strength is not an issue you can do something similar with lead free plumbers solder. Just use the solder in the same way as in the video. Does require skill, its what tinkers used to do to mend holes in aluminium pans!

Mike

Edited by MikeF

There is another similar product that Stuart posted on here very recently.

They have simplified the process. Assemble your joint  . Scratch the surfaces, heat,  apply the stuff.

The demo's work very well at the shows. Haven't tried it in real life.  Quite expensive (£30/Mtr).

Roger

39 minutes ago, RogerH said:

They have simplified the process. Assemble your joint  . Scratch the surfaces, heat,  apply the stuff.

The demo's work very well at the shows. Haven't tried it in real life.  Quite expensive (£30/Mtr).

Roger

The guy that does my machining has been quite impressed with it, the one I have was a Snapon kit though Im not sure that they supply it anymore.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Roger

Is that the Swedish guy - Anders something? I bought some from him at a woodworking show last year, it was £20 and his "metre" was mweasured by standing on the end of the reel of magic wire then lifting it to his head height and cutting it. "There you are, a Swedish metre".

When I'm feeling brave enough I plan to solder a piece in to replace a gap in my front grille, at the moment it's filled with a bit of stainless steel held on with a couple of tiny self-tappers.

Pete

It does work - but be careful. If the thing you are fixing is small/thin  it is easy to overheat the lot even with a propane torch, in which case you have a melted lump of aluminium........    On  the other hand large and thick pieces just never get hot enough as they are a good heat-sinks. 

I've used This type of product, and it is trickier than implied, especially on small or thin parts, as mentioned.  One issue is that the molten solder actually dissolves the aluminum, so thin sections can actually disappear.

Ed