Is this a standard spring

Hi Guys.

I'm cleaning up the rear suspension and fitting new bushes at the moment. I wondered if this rear spring is a standard one? It's 285 mm long and the rod is about 13mm in diameter. The spring is marked with Green and Red paint. At some point in the cars past it's been fitted with Spax adjustable shocks and I wondered if stiffer springs have been added. If they are stiffer I'll probably put some standard ones back.

Does anyone know what type of spring these are please.

Thanks Stephen

Image.15891394755111.jpg

11 hours ago, Stephen H said:

Hi Guys.

I'm cleaning up the rear suspension and fitting new bushes at the moment. I wondered if this rear spring is a standard one? It's 285 mm long and the rod is about 13mm in diameter. The spring is marked with Green and Red paint. At some point in the cars past it's been fitted with Spax adjustable shocks and I wondered if stiffer springs have been added. If they are stiffer I'll probably put some standard ones back.

Does anyone know what type of spring these are please.

Thanks Stephen

Image.15891394755111.jpg

Hi Stephen, I have looked in my old SAH tuning book it does not show that colour code? Also I would be very careful about changing the rear springs as a previous owner I suspect changed the originals including shocks because of sagging rear and skying ( the front of the car lifts up and points to the sky) when accelerating. If you do you may re-introduce these two problems which are well known in the TR world. Lastly what are standard springs? BL started off with TR4 ones, for the TR6 then modified the rear spring rate at least 3 times  from 280 lbs/ins  to 354 ibs/in during its production life. If the car looks right on a level surface and rides OK I would leave it alone.

Bruce.

Factory fitted and supplied standard rear springs for TR6 were finally part number 216275.

My memory says they were identified by one green and one white paint stripe - Which yours do not have.

Bruce's post certainly sums up the issue facing IRS owners with standard suspension.

Peter W

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. If someone had said that this spring was much much stiffer than a standard one I would be inclined to save my back when going over potholes and switch to a comfier riding one. 

Maybe I best to go with the if it ain't broke don't fix it approach and continue with cleaning up the parts and surrounding chassis and replace the bushes.

Cheers Stephen

Hi Stephen, you can also refer to this topic 

and I think your spring looks like the reference in the attached picture (green & red paintings).

Regards William 

Screenshot_20200511-175420.png

6 minutes ago, TR6_PI_1969 said:

Hi Stephen, you can also refer to this topic 

and I think your spring looks like the reference in the attached picture (green & red paintings).

Regards William 

Screenshot_20200511-175420.png

Hi William

Thanks that's very helpful on that basis I think I'm going to assume that they are standard springs and leave well enough alone then. 

Many thanks

Stephen

You are welcomed, by the way how is your rear ride height? As you can see on my white 69 car, it's quite high! Just to be curious, because I am thinking about changing to the green & red springs. 

Illustration of too-much sagging-rear attached... :-D

Regards William 

triumph-tr6_6.jpg

7 minutes ago, TR6_PI_1969 said:

You are welcomed, by the way how is your rear ride height? As you can see on my white 69 car, it's quite high! Just to be curious, because I am thinking about changing to the green & red springs. 

Illustration of too-much sagging-rear attached... :-D

Regards William 

triumph-tr6_6.jpg

Hi William

I can't measure the ride height at the moment as the car is on stands. This is a picture will hopefully give you an idea of the ride height.

Regards Stephen

DSC_3520_compressed.jpg

Hi Stephen

As stated the original 'standard' springs are marked green/white. The Red/Green ones are equivalent manufactured ones. I those fitted to my car & have found them perfectly acceptable for 'normal' road use. I think ride height looks ok. I'm running on 165's & lever arm dampers. 

See link for info

Alan

IMG_4335.jpg