TR4a leaf spring shackles - Help!

Folks, I’m reinstalling the leaf springs on my TR4a and hit a snag. I took the rear springs out to do a general clean-up, new U bolts, and fit poly bushes, etc. But my primary reason was to get rid of the “hot-rod” universal shackles that a PO had installed. I quickly found that only Rimmer Bros offered new TR4a shackles, so I ordered a set.

Yesterday I started the reassembly, and it appears the new shackles don’t fit. With the leaf spring sitting on top of the rear wing mounting bracket (so it can’t go any lower), the center of spring eyelet is about 20mil above the center of the shackle upper pin. I can’t see any way to bring them together, so I’m guessing the shackles are too small. 

Searches for TR4a specific shackles come up zero (except Rimmer Bros), though a few sites list “fit TR3-TR4a”, but I’m pretty sure the TR4a ones are unique. 

So does anyone know the dimensions of the original shackles (center pin to center pin, and pin length)? Maybe if I know the dimensions I can search by size.

It’s always something!

Thanks

Jim

0054DB27-454F-4826-BDF5-D9C8B1C0C29B.jpeg

Jim.

You’re after a rare thing, or at least the dimensions of a rare thing to find sitting around.

Fortunately for you, I have one (pretty sure it’s not two) on a shelf in the workshop.

Would you like it for the cost of postage and a donation to a charity? You’ll then have one to copy.

David

Thanks David! I forgot to mention in my post that I did send an email to Rimmer Bros explaining the problem. So let me wait until I hear back from them before accepting your offer.

I also just found that the part they list on their web site for the TR4a shackle, is not the same part number they list in their paper catalogue. So I’m hoping that it turns out they sent the wrong part.

Fingers crossed,

Jim

1 hour ago, Tr4aJim said:

Thanks David! I forgot to mention in my post that I did send an email to Rimmer Bros explaining the problem. So let me wait until I hear back from them before accepting your offer.

I also just found that the part they list on their web site for the TR4a shackle, is not the same part number they list in their paper catalogue. So I’m hoping that it turns out they sent the wrong part.

Fingers crossed,

Jim

I suspect they just sell the same part under the two different numbers Im afraid.

I had the same problem when I rebuilt mine all those years ago not because of new shackles as I re-used the originals but because I fitted new springs and theyre much deeper dished than the originals, In the end I trimmed the bumper side brackets down on their top side to allow clearance.

Stuart.

Hi Jim,

just for clarification. As you chaps in the USA still use the Mil dimension (20/1000th inch  or 0.020") try to quote millimeter as mm.

We in good old Englishland created the Mil but never use it.  Either 20thou or 0.020 or even 0.5mm nearly)

I assume form  your pic you meant 20mm.

Isn;t English a great language :lol::lol:

Edited by RogerH

This may help?  The 2 pins aren't welded in place either they can be punched out, should you need to. this is from my tr4, not 4A.

P1070923.JPG

Edited by pfenlon
more info.

Yeah Roger I only wish the spring was 0.0020 away! 

The center to pin center on the shackle I got from Rimmer Bros, and it’s 2 1/2 inches, very similar to yours Pete.

Jim

Edited by Tr4aJim

Jim

If you are still in need of a pair I should be able to help as I changed my 4A to IRS and have the redundant parts still. Paul

I also managed to not only purchase (from Bastuck) but also fit the wrong length shackles to mine - only came to light when I drove it to the workshop for it’s roadworthiness test - every bump in the road produced an awful bang from one rear wheel. Thankfully I kept the originals which solved the issue. I’m very glad to see I wasn’t the only one ;)

5 hours ago, Paul J said:

Jim

If you are still in need of a pair I should be able to help as I changed my 4A to IRS and have the redundant parts still. Paul

Please measure the distance between the pin centres and post your findings.  It will help all those who come later.

Peter W

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Please measure the distance between the pin centres and post your findings.  It will help all those who come later.

Peter W

The original spring shackles I have measure 31/4" between pin centres.

99AE4BA0-B0A3-4A99-8040-4F1C7B917C18.jpeg

Edited by Paul J
added pic
  • 3 weeks later...