Bosch pump noise

Hi guys

Can someone send me some pictures and an explain to me the pipe work arrangements for the Bosch pump. If someone can show me what goes in what order.
The pump is wired direct with a relay, there is  half of an Amp drop at the rear which I was told it’s nothing to worry about

Many thanks Paul 

Edited by Paul Hill

I assume the PRV is fitted when the fuel exits the pump, a filter between tank and pump

Hi Paul

Apologies if you've already picked up on this, but if you click on the "further reading" tab on the Revington link they do a very useful info sheet. The inline gauze filter goes between the tank and the pump as shown in the photo.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to get my fuel pump nose woes sorted, so I took it to Prestige which is now Carl in Stockport as Malcolm as retired. Anyway it’s done and I will pick it up on Monday, can’t wait for the drive back without the noise.

Picked the car up from Carl this morning and it was a delight to drive home without the beehive in the boot. Can highly recommend Carl and his work. Now to put the older pump and PRV on EBay

Edited by Paul Hill
36 minutes ago, Paul Hill said:

Picked the car up from Carl this morning and it was a delight to drive home without the beehive in the boot. Can highly recommend Carl and his work. Now to put the older pump and PRV on EBay

Hi Paul,

I do not want to be a prophet of doom but did your car have one of Malcom's' 1000psi s/s PTFE hoses which causes the Bosch pump to drone, as if you fit a rubber flexible rated at 150 to 200 psi you get no droning?

Bruce.

40 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Paul,

I do not want to be a prophet of doom but did your car have one of Malcom's' 1000psi s/s PTFE hoses which causes the Bosch pump to drone, as if you fit a rubber flexible rated at 150 to 200 psi you get no droning?

Bruce.

That's the hose I have, thanks for the tip, I'll change it.

Richard.

Hi Bruce Hardly any noise at all the PRV with the diaphragm puts paid to that

16 hours ago, Richard71 said:

That's the hose I have, thanks for the tip, I'll change it.

Richard.

Hi Richard

But if you have one of Malcom's diaphragm PRV you should not get any noise? Being a bit of a cynic Malcom was on to a good earner with his modified PRV after causing the problem in the first place, with his 1000 psi S/S PTFE hose which has totally inflexible hose walls.The Bosch pump requires flexible hose walls to combat its pulsing action and rated at 150 to 200 psi.

Bruce.

54 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Richard

But if you have one of Malcom's diaphragm PRV you should not get any noise? Being a bit of a cynic Malcom was on to a good earner with his modified PRV after causing the problem in the first place, with his 1000 psi S/S PTFE hose which has totally inflexible hose walls.The Bosch pump requires flexible hose walls to combat its pulsing action and rated at 150 to 200 psi.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce do you have a Link to anyone selling that Hose with the correct fittings already attached,Cheers.

1 hour ago, TR NIALL said:

Hi Bruce do you have a Link to anyone selling that Hose with the correct fittings already attached,Cheers.

No! I obtained  a length of Gates Barricade Fuel Injection Hose from the USA in 3/8" bore rated at 225 WP psi. This quality hose is very difficult to obtain in the UK but it might be different in Ireland? I go to a local hose supplier called Spectrum Hose, who supplies the fittings and crimps the sleeves on. He does supply a Danish hose which is meant to be as good but the Gates hose is meant to be the DB! as it is Bio & Multi fuel rated as well.

Bruce.

I've just read the Revington description of their hose (as in the link posted above), they claim that petrol fumes can permeate through the stainless steel braided hose. As this is what was supplied to me by Malcolm Jones 10+yrs ago, I now wonder if this is the source of the strong petrol smell I have in the boot, I've never been able to trace even the smallest of leaks. Does Gates Barricade hose hold back fumes?

Richard.

6 hours ago, astontr6 said:

No! I obtained  a length of Gates Barricade Fuel Injection Hose from the USA in 3/8" bore rated at 225 WP psi. This quality hose is very difficult to obtain in the UK but it might be different in Ireland? I go to a local hose supplier called Spectrum Hose, who supplies the fittings and crimps the sleeves on. He does supply a Danish hose which is meant to be as good but the Gates hose is meant to be the DB! as it is Bio & Multi fuel rated as well.

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce,if it can’t be got in the U.K. it certainly wouldn’t be available here,Cheers.

5 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

I've just read the Revington description of their hose (as in the link posted above), they claim that petrol fumes can permeate through the stainless steel braided hose. As this is what was supplied to me by Malcolm Jones 10+yrs ago, I now wonder if this is the source of the strong petrol smell I have in the boot, I've never been able to trace even the smallest of leaks. Does Gates Barricade hose hold back fumes?

Richard.

It has a very low premutation through the its side walls. I do not have a copy of the spec. as I have lent it to an MGB owner? I get a very slight smell of petrol in my boot but nothing like before. If Malcom has in the past supplied you with one of his PTFE hoses with S/S braid you should not get any smell? What colour is  your hose under the S/S braid it s/b white? 

Bruce.

20 minutes ago, Richard71 said:

Richard.

Richard

10 years and braided it will be porous.Yes inside will be rock hard.

Edited by ntc
14 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

It has a very low premutation through the its side walls. I do not have a copy of the spec. as I have lent it to an MGB owner? I get a very slight smell of petrol in my boot but nothing like before. If Malcom has in the past supplied you with one of his PTFE hoses with S/S braid you should not get any smell? What colour is  your hose under the S/S braid it s/b white? 

Bruce.

I have no idea what colour the hose is underneath the braid, I'm keen to cure this as the smell can be quite over-powering, in the boot only though.

Hi all

Find it hard to believe that the fuel hose used in our daily's running high pressure EFI systems isn't up to running 110psi without stinking of petrol/diesel or am I missing something?

Andy 

Gates Barricade and a general clean up of clamps plus a MU rebuild/calibration  cured my boot petrol smells-which for years Id accepted as part of TR6 PI ownership.

Edited by Mike C
18 hours ago, Richard71 said:

I have no idea what colour the hose is underneath the braid, I'm keen to cure this as the smell can be quite over-powering, in the boot only though.

Richard, I think that you must have some rubber hoses in system? Your tank to pump for instantance? the reason why I asked what colour was the hose under the SS braid. Black = rubber, White= PTFE. If it is black that I suspect that is where your problem lies? Have you put flour on the pipe joints as this will indicate if you have any weepers.

Bruce.

The harmonic vibration wasn’t exclusive to the pipe Malcolm was using.1000psi is overkill.

It is a factor of pipe length, rigidity and the spring loaded plunger in the PRV.

It can happen with the original Lucas pump, original pipe work and so on.

More common with Bosch pump presumably because it hums at a different frequency and with some of the braided hoses.

The trick is to change the length and hope the resonant frequency is out of the audible range. 

The diaphragm PRVs are less likely to do it.

There are other suppliers of PRVs but the TR suppliers do seem to be supplying a decent make and they have done the plumbing for you.

As a curiosity project I bought a cheapo adjustable diaphragm from EBay intended for a Nissan 300 for £16 and that worked well enough but did revert to the “proper” diaphragm one as a precaution before a jaunt to Tuscany. 

On 6/10/2020 at 2:53 PM, astontr6 said:

Richard, I think that you must have some rubber hoses in system? Your tank to pump for instantance? the reason why I asked what colour was the hose under the SS braid. Black = rubber, White= PTFE. If it is black that I suspect that is where your problem lies? Have you put flour on the pipe joints as this will indicate if you have any weepers.

Bruce.

That's right Bruce, tank to inline filter to pump is the only rubber in the entire system. I used talcum powder on all the joints, but found no weepage.

Gates Barricade is available on eBay from "Parts in Motion", but they don't sell by the meter, only I think in reels of 4.5 or 7.5 mt.

Richard.