TR3 rear quarter panel/tonneau saddle

I am aware that you can buy the rear quarter panells for the TR3 but the tonneau saddle does not appear to be available. On my car both parts are sound apart from the area shown in the photo. Is any one aware of a company that makes a repair piece for the area shown in the photo?

20200509_120820.jpg

Hi Phil,

I would suggest that you would be better to remove the shovel loads of filler to truly assess the area of rot. The rot you indicate looks like it was under a mountain of filler.

Just how thick is it.?

Is it by any chance a US car. The Americans have a tendency to employ Mexican plasterers in their body shops and use Bondo like cladding and coat the entire car with an unnecessary layer of filler.

I removed 15 kilos of dry weight filler from my shell when I stripped a good usable paint job due to blisters. That is a lot a filler dry. probably 3 -4 5 litr drums of Bondo.

The thing was there was no rust at all so I was very lucky and just beat the dents out as they should have been.

Seriously with that amount of rust in that area I suspect there are more horrors hidden below the filler which looks to be at least 1/4 inch thick. To avoid a worse job in the not too distant future I would check the whole deck and quarter panel.

Rod

The filler has been removed. The area of bad metal is slighly larger than that shown in the photo. However the fact still remains that the tonneau saddle/deck is not available so would still need a repair panel slotting in. I just wondered if anyone made them.

Hi phil,

No snarkiness needed as you did not indicate you had removed the filler which clearly shows in the only pic you supplied to be like the white cliffs of Dover.

Perhaps you could talk to Tr Trader, TR Enterprises, The TR Shop and ask about the section of the area cut from a  scrap car. Any one of the  previous suppliers would  be happy to help out. ~You need about half as much again for the size of the area indicate.

Rod

Hi Phil,  I think you would be very lucky to find a scrap shell with that part useable. But it is not that difficult a part to fabricate as I had to do with both sides of my car. I was fitting new quarters, so at least had that part, but as you can see from the photo had to make up the rest.

20160128_140546.jpg

Its not overly difficult to make those two sections and once welded in a coat of lead across as per the factory will finish it off nicely, There has never been anything more that the quarter panel available to repair that section anyway and theyve never been that clever.

Stuart.

Thanks for the information guys. I have had a word with a local fabricator and he tell me its no problem to make an infill. One question I have though relates to the join between the quarter panel and the tonneau saddle, on later TRs you can see a join line is this the same for the TR3A or is it filled?

For early 3A’s it’s was leaded and not visible. When did the change happen? Perhaps with the body retooling at approx TS 60K ?

Iain

The appearance of the seam coincided with the TS60000 re-tool where it was deemed easier to do a right angle spot welded joint there instead of leading across the overlapping joint of the earlier car, same principle for the floor pans where they have an external spot welded joint instead of the previous internal join.

Stuart.

Done mine like this, needed a lot of stretching on edge and front under seem to get good profile for hardtop. Went way up and made whole side, then gas welded and planished up

pete

B5CA10FC-C5DA-4F67-ACF1-C8B13850F1E6.jpeg

10 hours ago, ptr2 said:

Done mine like this, needed a lot of stretching on edge and front under seem to get good profile for hardtop. Went way up and made whole side, then gas welded and planished up

pete

B5CA10FC-C5DA-4F67-ACF1-C8B13850F1E6.jpeg

Edited by Guest