Brilliant article by Wayne

Yet another well researched and written article by Wayne giving us an insight into the role of WW2 on the fortunes or not of Standard and Triumph. Well done.

Mick

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2020/05/0232/The-Standard-Motor-Companys-crucial-role-in-WW2-the-rebirth-of-Triumph

Yes an excellent article, well done Wayne.

I was particularly interested in the parts about the 'shadow factories' built before war was declared. It's another example, for me, that challenges the myth that Britain entered the war almost completely unprepared, which I suppose grew out of the notions of plucky Britain making it all up as it went along. But to the contrary, I keep coming across examples of how British industry and commerce was put into a war footing quite far ahead of it all kicking off.

The Triumph Gloria is an excellent example of pre-war British thoroughbred saloons (although as a Riley fan I'm a bit conflicted on that!).The Dolomite was in a different class again but I gather you can pick them up today for only half an arm and one leg, versus the Alfa 8C's quadrupal amputation.

Nigel

32 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

Yes an excellent article, well done Wayne.

I was particularly interested in the parts about the 'shadow factories' built before war was declared. It's another example, for me, that challenges the myth that Britain entered the war almost completely unprepared, which I suppose grew out of the notions of plucky Britain making it all up as it went along. But to the contrary, I keep coming across examples of how British industry and commerce was put into a war footing quite far ahead of it all kicking off.

The Triumph Gloria is an excellent example of pre-war British thoroughbred saloons (although as a Riley fan I'm a bit conflicted on that!).The Dolomite was in a different class again but I gather you can pick them up today for only half an arm and one leg, versus the Alfa 8C's quadrupal amputation.

Nigel

I shouldn’t dispatch any “ myths” about going into WW2 unprepared just yet, are you just counting months ?

“ May 1939, the Air Ministry sought a facility to manufacture Bristol Hercules aero engines and construction of a plant commenced later that year on an 80-acre (320,000 m2)[1] green-field site just outside Coventry.[2] With over 1 million square feet(93,000 m2) of floor space, the Banner Lane site was one of the largest shadow factories erected at Government expense, costing £1.7 million to build and set up for production.[1] The new plant luckily missed the summer and autumn 1940 bombing raids of the Coventry Blitz and was fully functioning before the end of that year.  ( So that’s the end of 1940 !) Its curious similarity to other shadow factories was because the buildings were designed by the Government.

There were many initiatives put in place before W2 mostly by “free thinkers” and radicals ( huh a plane made of wood ! This isn’t 1919 you know! ). But there were also many sympathisers to Mr Hitler who proposed the best defence was “ let him get on with it, I’m sure we will be ignored, “ Ha !

I’d like to examine the examples you’ve found of industry entering a war footing other than the preceding 12 months.

Mick Richards

Fair enough, I was really only thinking of 1938/39. One example local to me was that the whole Lloyds insurance market decamped to the Pinewood Studios site. I had thought it was early 1939 ie well before the outbreak, but on checking it was middle of the year.

Nigel

BBC 2 Patrick Stewart at Silverstone discussing Sterling Moss, I know it’s slightly off topic but it was a spur of the moment.

Yes excellent article, keep up the good work.

Edited by Derek Hurford