I think the point should be well made as to the ages of the then pilots and their expected rate of atrition. Can you imagine the modern eqivalent 19 or 19 year old performing so admirably.

They were just kids and I find it heart breaking so many were lost but they never thought about it. Now that is true patriotism.

I watched a recent documentary on the BOB and also one on Bomber Command.

My father never really talked about the war until just before he died, he just said that he would not talk about the things he did till his commanding officer died. He never really did and I don't know if he really suffered with PTSD, back then you went to war and came back and got on with your life however much had changed.

It winds me up when I hear that kids aren't even taught about WW2 other than "Winnie" was a war crimnial. and war is bad!!!

Rod

29 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

I think the point should be well made as to the ages of the then pilots and their expected rate of atrition. Can you imagine the modern eqivalent 19 or 19 year old performing so admirably.

They were just kids and I find it heart breaking so many were lost but they never thought about it. Now that is true patriotism.

I watched a recent documentary on the BOB and also one on Bomber Command.

My father never really talked about the war until just before he died, he just said that he would not talk about the things he did till his commanding officer died. He never really did and I don't know if he really suffered with PTSD, back then you went to war and came back and got on with your life however much had changed.

It winds me up when I hear that kids aren't even taught about WW2 other than "Winnie" was a war crimnial. and war is bad!!!

Rod

I watched a documentary about Lancasters and the comment the narrator said has always stuck with me...

words to the effect that " the pilot of the Lancaster was 20 years old but couldn't drive a car as he did not have a driving licence"

2 hours ago, Crawfie said:

Standards sir !

A man of you're calibre should be wearing socks . If not you should've got the missus to paint your toenails in Union Jack colours.

Apologies for the sloppy dress code. I'll try harder next time.

We've had to cancel a whole weekend programme of events in our village with an enormous amount of work put in by a lot of people. Bunting was to be erected for 2 miles along the main road through 3 adjoining villages.

We had a Friday Street Party organised on the playing field at the Village Hall with Bugler booked to play the Last Post, a Piper to pay "Battle's O'er" and a toast for 300 people. A kids disco in the evening with professional Fireworks Display.

Saturday was to be a kids Sports Day with typical 3 legged race, sack race, Tug O War, egg & spoon race, etc with lashings of Ginger Beer. A 40s themed Saturday night dance was to have a 12 piece live band providing 40s music with Pea and Pie supper.

Sunday was a commemorative Church Service with the WI providing afternoon tea for the elderly in the village. 

All sadly postponed with an intention of celebrating again for VE 76 in 2021 if possible.

Dave McD

8 minutes ago, Dave McDonald said:

Apologies for the sloppy dress code. I'll try harder next time.

We've had to cancel a whole weekend programme of events in our village with an enormous amount of work put in by a lot of people. Bunting was to be erected for 2 miles along the main road through 3 adjoining villages.

We had a Friday Street Party organised on the playing field at the Village Hall with Bugler booked to play the Last Post, a Piper to pay "Battle's O'er" and a toast for 300 people. A kids disco in the evening with professional Fireworks Display.

Saturday was to be a kids Sports Day with typical 3 legged race, sack race, Tug O War, egg & spoon race, etc with lashings of Ginger Beer. A 40s themed Saturday night dance was to have a 12 piece live band providing 40s music with Pea and Pie supper.

Sunday was a commemorative Church Service with the WI providing afternoon tea for the elderly in the village. 

All sadly postponed with an intention of celebrating again for VE 76 in 2021 if possible.

Dave McD

It would be nice if VE Day could be a combined celebration with VJ Day. At least it would be in 2020.

I suspect , like you do, life as we knew it wil not return for a while to come.

Stay safe

To be pedantic Mick, I don't think any Spitfires were sent to France in 1930/40, only Hurricanes.  I don't think the RAF actually had any operational ones in '39 & Dowding, quite rightly, was not going to risk them.  Also, the Hurricanes could be repaired easier at squadron level than the monoquoc Spitfires which often needed to returned to central repair.

Many of the French airfields used were so waterlogged / rough that even the wide track undercarriage Hurricances had problems, the fragile narrow track Spitfires would probably not have survived a single landing. 

Hhmmmm didn’t you see the film Dunkirk ?

Also 

On 23 May 1940, Spitfires of 54 Squadron were the first to shoot down Bf 109s, over Calais Marckairfield, on the coast of northern France; the first of these is usually credited to either Flying Officer Alan Deere who shot down two (according to other sources, one destroyed plus one probable), or Flg. Off. "Johnny" Allen who shot down one.[14][15]

During this period 67 Spitfires were lost over France, most of them in the attempt to prevent the Luftwaffe from bombing the evacuation beaches at Dunkirk. While the Spitfires of Fighter Command continued to be based in Britain, at the insistence of Air Vice Marshal Hugh Dowding, from late 1939 there were early photo-reconnaissance Spitfires of "No 2 Camouflage Unit" operating from Seclin in France, gathering photo-intelligence of German defences and cities.[16][nb 1] 

Sorry Duncan, “ fog of war and all that”.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, duncan said:

Yes Mick, flew over France operating from the south of England, non were based there, only Hurricanes & I think Gladiators

Well you think wrong Duncan,

"at the insistence of Air Vice Marshal Hugh Dowding, from late 1939 there were early photo-reconnaissance Spitfires of "No 2 Camouflage Unit" operating from Seclin in France, gathering photo-intelligence of German defences and cities.[16][nb 1] "

As posted on my previous post.

Mick Richards