Cr**py Parts Quality

Hi All

Can anyone help with a part recommendation?

So part the number is UKC2451 and is the flexible fuel pump mounting for original Lucas fuel pumps.

I bought some a good whie ago, although not sure when, as the old ones were all cracked and split. The new ones looked diff, a bit less substantial but hey its just a mounting so how hard can that job be.

Well flippin difficult it seems. As you can see from the pic's one of the new ones has already failed with the threaded plate not longer "stuck" to the rubber. Its obvs to see why, the original is a lot more substantial and the rubber is much more moulded around the threaded plates rather than stuck on the end.

Now I understand things like this will fail eventually but the 50 year old item is in much better condition that the 4 or 5 year old one esp given the original had done 70k plus miles and the new one has done precisely ZERO miles as my car is not even on the road.

So the question does anyone know of anyone who sells a etter quality item or is it take pot luck and replace them regularly.:angry:

Cheers   Keith

P1030961.JPG

Just saw your post, it drives me insane with all the **** we all get palmed off with these days (not just TR parts) What I hate the most is the "Argos" attitude of - "just pop it back and we will replace it" yeah right, graze your knuckles getting the part off again, waste half a day travelling to the nearest shop, petrol, parking etc etc for them to exchange it with more rubbish!!

No, I do not have an answer but surely these shops must also get niggly with the quality control of their suppliers or are their profit margins so high it does not matter.

rant over

KC

Edited by kcsun

Ive got a little pile of them on my desk and the problem seems to be also the "Shore" of the rubber, originals are really quite hard whereas the repros are very soft so no wonder they break easily. Where did you buy them from Keith?

Stuart.

Why not try RS Components or somewhere like that, look in their catalogue for "anti vibration mounts" (AV Mounts), they'll all be metric so just opt for the closest size that suits. They're quite sturdy and used to hold heavy electrical panels and suchlike.

Richard.

Hi Richard

Just had a quick look at RS and as you say loads of sizes and they do look better quality and being industrial focused probably are.

Prices are higher but still more than reasonable and TBH i prob pay more if the quality is right, just don't tell anyone, lol, :D

So i'll do abit of measuring and get some.

Cheers  Keith

2 hours ago, kcsun said:

Just saw your post, it drives me insane with all the **** we all get palmed off with these days (not just TR parts) What I hate the most is the "Argos" attitude of - "just pop it back and we will replace it" yeah right, graze your knuckles getting the part off again, waste half a day travelling to the nearest shop, petrol, parking etc etc for them to exchange it with more rubbish!!

No, I do not have an answer but surely these shops must also get niggly with the quality control of their suppliers or are their profit margins so high it does not matter.

rant over

KC

I have been on this band wagon for 40 years! There is no quality control at the usual suppliers so if they receive **** you get ****. If you ask them about QA, they think you are talking rocket science. I had so many rucks with Moss on this subject that if I had received £10 for each one I would be a rich man. If you start talking about shore hardness of rubber to them that would be definitely rocket science! I hope you put this through the TR register QA System.

Bruce.

disregard

Edited by iani

It’s not that all parts are poor quality, some are fine, it’s the inconsistency. I had a set of hoses which failed within a couple of months, but have had other parts which (at least I hope) will do a good job. I have found buying on price to increase failure ratio and doing as much research and question asking before purchase to reduce it.

Hi Keith66,

Check out Car Builder Solutions - www.carbuilder.com. I've have used them before as have some pals without issues, but sadly these days almost anything can be traced back to Chinese origin.

TonyC

1 hour ago, TonyC said:

Check out Car Builder Solutions - www.carbuilder.com. I've have used them before as have some pals without issues, but sadly these days almost anything can be traced back to Chinese origin.

I've used them a lot and one of the best suppliers around. They are very well known in the kit car world. Nice guys too and I'm sure if you have problems they will sort it.

Perhaps buy UD10913, the OE item from Rolls Royce, it fits the fan motor to the heater & is almost identical bar the thread, I think it is M6.    https://www.introcar.co.uk/mounting-p3647

That said the UKC2451 comes with metric threads.....

Jaguar use a similar to mount the aircleaner box on some XJ.

The RS item looks like it would work fine also and is similar price to repro Triumph items.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT