Emergency Rations

there was a post the other week about not wanting the free emergency rations but how to get a delivery service.

I too had the phone call last week and there was no getting out of the free ER and no help with the delivery.

Anyway it turned up today. Quite a cache. Everything the starving person could ever want.  -  see pic below.

The loaf of bread (not the one in the pic) came frozen. There is coffee but no tea.  Otherwise pretty good.

Roger

DSC_4811a.jpg

Hi Roger ,

What flavour LLama is that on the sill?

Purple says grapes-------------------------- so a make your own wine kit. After all wine is an essential item for some and judging by my sons wine sales and absolute essential.

Rod

Yum, beans on toast and give the cat the can of tuna.

I think it is pretty nice that high risk people are getting free food deliveries. I think China did that too, actually forced people to stay home but delivered groceries.

Free handouts from the state? Ha, judging from a lot of the other threads on the forum I'd never have guessed TR owners were in any way left-leaning. But just shows how wrong you can be!

:D

(Sorry, I'll get my coat...)

I think you may have misunderstood the post then Nigel.

Roger's point was that if you register as priority for supermarket deliveries you can't opt out of the food parcels , whether you need them or not. It is the same wasteful system that sees all pensioners getting paid the winter heating allowance.  I don't need that but you can't stop it. Mine goes straight to charity every year. 

Targeting resources is of course anathema to the liberal mind as it smacks of 'means testing'. :unsure:

Hi Nigel,

I note the :D.  It is all rather bizarre. I am 70 I have mild asthma controlled by a daily puffer and am on no immuno-suppressant drugs.

I am quite fit and healthy or my age.   However the young lady on the phone demanded that I should stay indoors for the next three months :o.

It would appear that I can stop the ER food box by telling the driver to stop and give them elsewhere.

However I have just heard that my sister, who works in a school, is on the hunt for food donations. to feed the hungry cherubs.

So that is sorted then - unless there is something on next weeks box that I fancy

Roger

The irony is, it was delivered by “ The London Seafood Company” refrigerated van. I was very disappointed that there were no fresh Scallops, Lobsters and Prawns as my son and I had been discussing, a few days before, about online ordering of Lobsters.

The first time my missus cooked a Fray. Bentos pie ....there was a little problem.

She forgot to take the oven shelf above the pie out (or raise it higher),  and the pastry rose through the bars . 

When the pie dish was taken out, the pastry was left behind.

2 hours ago, Nigel A said:

I haven’t had a Fray Bentos pie for years, used to love them when I first lived on my own!

Nigel

Nigel, I’ve never had a Fray Bentos pie in my life. I find it amusing that it is not meat but cheese and onion. I think they have singled us out for the vegetarian option because of where we live.

When  I was 13 I had a Saturday job in a local grocery shop that sold Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pies but we never had a cheese and onion version back then.

Edited by SuzanneH
36 minutes ago, james christie said:

Ah Fray Bentos, there’s a memory. A memorable outbreak of some kind of food poisoning in Aberdeen in the sixties has encouraged me to avoid it ever since!

james

I’ve never eaten Corned Beef since then either.

2 minutes ago, foster461 said:

It looked mostly vegetarian other than the Tuna, hence my suggestion to give the tuna to the cat. Would you use the canned tomatoes to make tomato sauce for the pasta ?.

Hi Stan,

definitely  a meat free parcel.   It all looked pretty good stuff though.

Roger

I posted the original post that Roger referred to at the start. You would have to be watching through the front window to spot the delivery driver and ask him to take it elsewhere because he / or she doesn’t ring the bell they just place it on the doorstep and leave. 

We give our ER parcels to our local church and they find a good home for it. 

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

I was going to add my comments to your original post but couldn't find it.

I was lucky last week and was awake when the delivery van turned up.

I now have a destination for my food next food box - local school.

It is amazing that this food is being delivered but it is also a little sad that it took a good month to get started.   However, how do you plan for a once in 100 years event.

Perhaps the answer is to have an annual plague so that you can fine tune your processes..

Roger 

Mrs R had a call from a lady overseeing the local NHS scheme  yesterday, just to check that she was ok and that the food delivery had arrived, which we thought was an excellent effort.

She asked that we kept accepting the food pass on anything we didn't need to a food bank or local charity as cancelling the delivery causes more problems and cost than delivering the food. So that's what we will do.

She also told the wife that she had a list of 30,000 people in her area, to oversee and contact at some point. Perhaps the scale of the operation was once again underestimated by those in charge.

Brian