Hi

I have come to fit the back panel and two quarter panels and am a bit confused. All the guides refer to self tappers. However, although I didn’t have any trim with my project when it first arrived, it’s clear that the body is drilled to take the clips shown in the photo below. There were even some of the old clips still stuck in the body. I believe these are the same ones as in the door panels. 

The rear three panels don’t have any holes drilled in them. Will these clips slide over the edge of the hardboard? I guess the alternative is to fit spire nuts to the car, and screw it on. I’m working out what’s the best approach and would be interested in the experience of others. The holes in the car look like it was meant to take the clips from the outset.

I’ve shown everything that came with the trim kit also  

thanks

Mark

463B7EEE-5646-433F-A439-57A8B83D9E91.thumb.jpeg.e926639d28661b167bd967ab5daedb02.jpeg

D9EEEC6F-82F7-485B-87ED-5BC9628C4EEA.jpeg

8C8C9BD8-827C-4BDE-935F-CBC824366C2E.jpeg

Edited by mark_smugglers
Photo orientation

Good morning Mark,

The 'push type' clips are to fit the B-post interior trim and should slide into the cardboard backing and then push fit into the holes in the B-Post.

The rear section of the trim connecting to the deck area by the screws and cup washers shown in the picture you have attached. The holes in the picture I believe have a slide-on clip with a screen hole that the self-tappers will screw into. You will of course need to cut the holes into the trim panel(s) to allow you to scream through into the clips. I can't see the clips in the pictures you have attached so you may need to oder a set of these.

Hope this helps

Best Regards, Peter

Hi Mark You are at the perfect timing in your project to fit a firewall or softer screen that will seal the boot area from the cabin.

This has been shown to reduce the fuel smells on over run.

1 minute ago, Prefect said:

Hi Mark You are at the perfect timing in your project to fit a firewall or softer screen that will seal the boot area from the cabin.

This has been shown to reduce the fuel smells on over run.

I built in a sealed sheet steel firewall as part of my retrim basically  to keep petrol out of the cockpit should the tank rupture in an accident. Subjectively, the body also felt more rigid after the installation.

Ok. Thanks all. Sounds like it’s the self tappers, with spire clips added to the body. 

One last question:
I'm nervous about drilling the trim panels and wrecking the vinyl. Is it better to drill from vinyl through to hardboard, or drill through from the hardboard side?

thanks 

Mark,

You need to avoid drilling from the vinyl side as apart from your own caution at damaging the vinyl, the drill bit can also 'grab' at the foam sheeting behind and twist it into a lump.

Best bet is to use a small soldering iron with  a fine pointed tip. Simply melt a small hole in the vinyl and foam beneath (takes a bit of nerve at first!) then drill on through the backing with your chosen drillbit. 

Works just fine.

Mike

I use a small sharpened electrical screwdriver to go right through first otherwise as stated above the drill will pick up the foam backing with disastrous consequences.

Stuart.

14 hours ago, mark_smugglers said:

Thanks Stuart. 
from the vinyl side or from the rear?

Go through the vinyl side first or it pulls away from the backing and stretches.

Stuart.