Trieste Opicina Historic 2020 Virtuale

Anyone with access to the Internet and familiarity with Google Maps is welcome to have a go at this virtual rally based in the Trieste area, which will run from 11-14 May with answers required by 15th.

Full details and entry form can be obtained from the following link. I am promised that route instructions will be translated into English for our benefit! The second link provides some information on the Trieste area and background on the actual historic motor race.

In the current lockdown I cannot get enough of this type of event. Whilst they will never replace the real thing free entry and no accommodation or fuel costs are attractive and Street View can simulate the driving experience very well, even allowing one to track the limit point round bends!

Tim

http://clubdeiventiallora.org/96-club/597-trieste-opicina-historic-virtuale-2021.html

https://www.discover-trieste.it/code/17237/The-Trieste-Opicina-race

Tim

Thanks for that Stuart, for some reason I can post links on the Club Triumph Forum but the same technique doesn't work for me on the TRR one. However, I did check that people could cut and paste from my post and stick in their browser.

Tim

Thank you Tim.  With the excellent HERO VTT ending this week, I was hoping that something else similar would surface.  This Italian emergence could be extra- challenging as it will not be using maps with which we will be familiar.I just hope that the English translations do not rely solely on something like Google - we will soon see.

The only point I would make about the missing physical aspects of TT rallying like cost and the smell&sound of the exhaust is that we are unlikely to experience the weather- but who knows given the way the Spring has been this year. 

Thanks again for the pointer.

Edited by Alfrom
correction of a typo

Good luck with the Virtuale Pierre. Let's hope one or two other Forum visitors might be tempted to have a crack.

All the bset,

Tim

I have registered,  had fun, being a total beginner at navigastion with the HERO VTT, now for something different.

Iain

tyres?  I've got that covered with a spare or two around the waist, thanks to not being able to get out much and, mainly, a lack of self-control in the kitchen.

Edited by Alfrom

regret to say that on the evidence of day 1 alone, this event is not for me. other than the relatively easy task of ascertaining the scale of the maps, the navigation expertise required is in practice about zero. the more important navigation expertise required  appears to be associated  with the ability to accumulate information  on local places of interest.  having said that, it was interesting learning a bit about Marconi and his steam yacht, Elettra, including a link to Essex in the UK.

I'll plug on with the HERO Sting in the Tail and I WILL find the answer(I hope).

Pierre

Pierre, your right “chalk and cheese”! 

The HERO event organised by Seren and Elise has been extremely good......if you like that sort of thing, which we clearly do, many don’t.

This is more of a Tour I think, which also appeals to many, but perhaps not the out and out Navigators.

Iain

I think for most it will be an exercise in using the internet to search for info, which seems a little pointless from a rally perspective.  unsurprisingly given its geographical location, the Trieste area seems to have a lot of history, both ancient and relatively modern.

10 hours ago, Alfrom said:

I think for most it will be an exercise in using the internet to search for info, which seems a little pointless from a rally perspective.  unsurprisingly given its geographical location, the Trieste area seems to have a lot of history, both ancient and relatively modern.

I agree. Nice of the Italian group to set it up, but as you say it's not really any practice for navs.

Nigel

well that was a surprise!   despite registering a DNF, it appears that our TR6 was recognised as a popular choice in the Concours.  thanks to any who voted for it.  My choice went to a TR - which was not easy given my 'affliction' with Alfas.

Of course,I may have totally misunderstood the email I received - time will tell!

Edited by Alfrom
Admission of poor understanding of the Italian language.

I am sorry if anyone reckons I gave a bum steer on this event. I never expected a navigational challenge, just following a route on Google Maps and Internet research to answer questions. I learned a lot about the area that was new to me and 'drove' some stunning roads on Street View. It certainly gave me the urge to drive them for real one day in the 4A. 

Tim

• 2 weeks later...