Injector failure

Last weekend I took my TR6 for a drive, 20 miles or so on the freeway. After exiting and coming to a stop, the car started running on less than 6 cylinders. Seemed like 4 but things improved a little so I made my way home and after a cooling off period I started pulling injectors. Number 2 was not working, no fuel being sprayed. I put in a new (recon'd) injector and things were back to normal.

Yesterday the same thing . Started of fine but after an bit of a run and stopping at a traffic light back to less than 6 cylinders. It did seem like it was trying clear but when I got home I pulled #2 and same thing, no spray. It did have fuel at the injector as it dribbled out when pulling the tip out but no spray.

I have read previously about the banjo washers failing so could this be the issue?

I have the stainless injector tubes which have been on the car 15+ years and have also read about those causing problems. These also seem to be the only ones available at the moment, Moss and Revington show the plastic ones as either NLA or out of stock.

Any suggestions for a fix are appreciated.

Simon.

Hi Simon,

it could be coincidence, but the same injector failing twice is a strong indicator.
I would check the connection from #2 hose on the MU, it is not loose? The nylon hoses can be obtained on the www, but I had mine reconditioned by Neil Ferguson, which may be a bit to far for you.

To check for O-ring bits in the injector would also be good, blow it clean with compressed air in a clean white rag. And off course check at what pressure the injector opens.

Waldi

4 hours ago, Waldi said:

Hi Simon,

it could be coincidence, but the same injector failing twice is a strong indicator.
I would check the connection from #2 hose on the MU, it is not loose? The nylon hoses can be obtained on the www, but I had mine reconditioned by Neil Ferguson, which may be a bit to far for you.

To check for O-ring bits in the injector would also be good, blow it clean with compressed air in a clean white rag. And off course check at what pressure the injector opens.

Waldi

You can also get air locks in the system and when petrol is manufactured it can absorb free air and this can come out when it is pressurized in the form of air bubbles which travel down to the injectors. I have had this problem even here in the UK with our type of Summers. What is the air temperature in Las Vegas if around 100F as this can cause air bubbles to form as well as fuel vaporization which gives a similar affect. What is your car like on hot starting? If you have the original injection pipe fittings I would go back to using them. Lucas used nylon 66 for the tubing which is available in the USA including higher grades of nylon 66 which can take E85 fuel.

Bruce.

Maybe worth swapping 1 and 2 injectors round to see if you still have the problem on #2 line.

Mark.