Has anyone used these as they look to be useful as you can hold the item cure it and it is set without having to block into position or clamp it.

I think this was developed from the dentistry business.

interested in any experiences good or bad.

Rod

Hi Roger,

Looks like it could be good for repairing e.g, cracking bakelite steering wheel,switch pulls , and paint the repair afterwards.

I can see many potential applications in place of more conventional glues and the like.

Rod.

Steering wheels are better repaired by "V" out the crack and then fill with a good epoxy filler then they can be rubbed down and refinished as normal.

Stuart.

Watched the video. The stuff dentists use is  a development originally by ICI from the UV using blue light. Quite a technical achievement as there is much less energy available to kick the cure off.  The implication that the demo glue in the video demonstration is the same grade/performance as a dental product needs to be verified, it's unlikely. . 

I can see the attraction of the delayed till started rapid cure,  but conventional cyanoacrylates are pretty fast. You can speed them up even more   by wiping the surfaces to be bonded with an accelerator. YOu can buy this or just use alcohol (Meths, surgical spirit, IPA,) Or even just huff on the work (as in cleaning your glasses). Some  (cheaper) brands might give a white bond line.  Of course the cure starts immediately  on application.

For anything structural I would  be patient and stick with epoxies. (boom boom).  They give relatively high bond strengths, are durable, resistant to moisture and most chemicals in a wide temperature operating range.

Long been in use for repairs to circuit-boards.  If you replace a track with a thin wire,  because of damage or defect, you secure the wire with something very like this.  It's usually green.

You can deposit really tiny amounts between the pads and solder a chip down using hot air after its been cured.

But you are right about epoxy.  My wife chipped the rim of her favourite mug. Piece about 6mm diameter.  Fine China mug.  So I glued it back with Araldite not expecting it to last long.

Been in daily use for TWENTY years.

The main problem with UV cured glues is getting the light where you need it. For anything not transparent to UV light, you only cure the visible line, which can lead to later failure. I have used Araldite and other twin tube epoxies for repairing loads of things to great effect. If you want to increase the strength further embed carbon fibre in the epoxy.

Standard glue for repairing surf boards.  Guess because they get plenty of access to sun. 

…………….For anything not transparent to UV light, you only cure the visible line,...………...

Standard glue for repairing surf boards.  Guess because they get plenty of access to sun

---------------------

Some products will cure completely once initiated, speed of this later cure dependent on temperature

Mike

The stuff my dentist used to use for white fillings seems pretty good. The UV-cured outer layer acts as a catalyst so the rest cures almost instantly. OTOH I bought some cheap UV-cure superglue from China, which cures, but has zero bond strength.

Pete

Edited by stillp