my new gearbox? (Mazda MX-5 to TR)

Well,

I have some different challenges his days and a brake to get some new ideas is always good.

At eBay I found this photo of a not complete MX-5 NA gearbox that make me hope to move the gear shift housing forward without opening the gearbox itself.

N9P_-6in9HBOKNGFbcXw9IhI9rRxBEFmIzX4lca_

Edited by Z320
external photo storage
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ups, the adaptors are already delivered, I'm really surprised about the laser cut surface! Tomorrow will be first fit, please keep fingers crossed for me.  

Thanks Russell and Andi, thank you very much, all worked well, fit was 100% on first attempt, the 8 mm drills are exaxtly to the point they have to be for the 5/16" bolts! Btw, the bar is on

Talking of gearbox changes, back in the 8o`s when I was involved with Jaguar racing we converted a V12 XJS from a GM 400 auto box to a Cosworth T6 manual 5 speed by a cut and shut of the two bell hous

Posted Images

the MX-5 gearbox needs 2 dowels

whGI5QvLSe8Q5wnL-HJqLn63ThtZp9DdVDQtk5sk

they are different because I loose one of the original ones for the TR starter, so I and use the next drill close to it

5WPysJD7q6HfKicnV711ViGBpqWMtk9gPla6azGd

to fix them on the adapter I move the adpator with the center, diameter drilled for the MX-5 gearbox shaft

Ulyy2oOgo6qT54PtDaeU2nvRrcq1XWNI8DEa-jhg

Slow steps, but I'm not in a hurry....

Edited by Z320
external photo storage

Thanks Russell and Andi,

thank you very much, all worked well, fit was 100% on first attempt, the 8 mm drills are exaxtly to the point they have to be for the 5/16" bolts!

Btw, the bar is only glued so if I force the adapter it will brake out - but it did not! You see what I have to cut off from the MX-5 gear box later.

oiymvcN9JvhpmVSfHZFsPyAJx2MsUS0EUKAIiib5

The 2 dowels are made for bolts from both sides, I ask myself what to to with the other 6 fixing bolts?

bSA16f7cCz24_7QyMSghksdmT-9_-YqRhtS71d-N

I could make "connectors" 5/16" UNC (5/16" UNC is original on the TR gb), also to bolt from both sides?

Or tap 6 threads 3/8" UNF or UNC in the adapter plate, that's easier and faster?

Any suggestions?

Edited by Z320
external photo storage
On 5/4/2020 at 8:59 PM, Z320 said:

Hi Marco.

The 5/16 bolts will be a nice fit with 8mm drill holes with a good drill press, and a new drill bit.

For what its worth I would tap  the adaptor plate 3/8 UNF as it a little stronger than UNC.

I would be interested in views from other members. Are you out there Roger !!!!

Russell

Sorry me to those who cannot see the photos on their mobiles, like myself connot on my Iphon,

I changed over to an external storage at Google photos, this may cause some problems.

Edited by Z320

How do other users do that?

I know some stored their photos at ??, and all photos are lost since ?? closed their doors!

It seems more the challenge to store the photos than to fit the gearbox?

Edited by Z320

If you have deleted all the attached photos from the forum, all the links in old posts pointing to where they are will no longer work.  You can probably link to photos on google, as you wish but only in new posts. Probably the only way of restoring the pictures in old posts is to edit the post and include the new link. Quite a laborious process. 

1 hour ago, RobH said:

If you have deleted all the attached photos from the forum, all the links in old posts pointing to where they are will no longer work.  You can probably link to photos on google, as you wish but only in new posts. Probably the only way of restoring the pictures in old posts is to edit the post and include the new link. Quite a laborious process. 

Yeah, I know,

I edited all old post with new links to the photos now stored at my google account

Edited by Z320

I add as attachments stored on the forum - although due to the storage limitations in place I resize them beforehand to avoid using all the space in a few pics. It can be a bit of a pain.

........ Andy 

Hi Rob,

your advice helps, using the "direct image link",

BUT - for each photo about 20 clicks are needed, not included the upload tho google!

This is annoying and so sadly for the future I have to reduce my posts and photos.

Ciao, Marco

That's a great shame Marco - perhaps sometime Google will update Photos to make it easier. We can only hope. 

it´s a limitation from those times when webspace was expensive...

btw: very interesting project to me as i driva a MX-5 MK1 as an everyday car and love this Gearbox!

Do you still have one of these adapter plates for sale?

BR

Peter 

Edited by Kamphausen
On 5/4/2020 at 5:28 AM, JochemsTR said:

They made a fitting housing and  a matching centerpiece. This in order to reduce the gearbox height in the center. Vitesse put in the necessary investment and made a completely new casting, transferred the whole Mazda gears.

I hope we can manage to find a "low-cost" solution....

Did you ever talk to http://www.metz-industriedesign.de/ regarding a new bell housing? 

On the german page they say:"We can cast bells according to your wishes, even in small quantities. Original sample is required."

Question: How do they work? Will they do a 3D-scan to add the 1.2% cool down shrinking addon for aluminium casting? 

Peter