my new gearbox? (Mazda MX-5 to TR)

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ups, the adaptors are already delivered, I'm really surprised about the laser cut surface! Tomorrow will be first fit, please keep fingers crossed for me.  

Thanks Russell and Andi, thank you very much, all worked well, fit was 100% on first attempt, the 8 mm drills are exaxtly to the point they have to be for the 5/16" bolts! Btw, the bar is on

Talking of gearbox changes, back in the 8o`s when I was involved with Jaguar racing we converted a V12 XJS from a GM 400 auto box to a Cosworth T6 manual 5 speed by a cut and shut of the two bell hous

Posted Images

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

I'm loving this story. It's like a (good) series on TV - I'm hanging on for the next episode. No way I could ever attempt it, but I am getting vicarious pleasure from it. Kind of the opposite of schadenfreude ;)

John

Hi John, thank you for your laud.

Please tell me about you get to the word Schadenfreude.

Started early in the weekend today,

had a phone call to the prop shaft maker, after checking the dimensions the cross bar is in the TR again and the gb fixed,

the speedo drive spin is the same like on the TR gearbox, the new crossmember is also finished.

PYuw7CYugqwfjHikzxOiRa_CaaNL_ARu3zvpgD8B

This should be solid enough now.

ME3hiBg1b6FWEmkneYqRzjMErwCzUUV21riRRlzq

Don't worry, there is space enough to the exhaust pipe on my TR4A, I tested it before I bended it.

Tomorrow it will go on my engine / gearbox trolley to check the space for the angle drive.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
5 hours ago, Z320 said:

Please tell me about you get to the word Schadenfreude.

Oops! I hope I used it correctly. I understand it to mean “enjoying the pain of others”. In this case, I’m enjoying the success of others (you), so it seems the opposite...

John

Hi John,

the meaning is more to enjoy the failing of others or damage on items of others and I understand you absolutely right.

You enjoy I'm not failing and not have to kick the hole project in the bin.

But there are so lovely words at Germany like Autobahn, Bratwurst, Volksfest, schunkeln, Kindergarten, Wanderslust....

Where from do you know the negative Schadenfreude. If you don't want to tell - that's OK.

Ciao, Marco

1 hour ago, Z320 said:

But there are so lovely words at Germany like Autobahn, Bratwurst, Volksfest, schunkeln, Kindergarten, Wanderslust....

I like the words auspuff (exhaust) and ausfahrt (turnoff) - they appeal to the juvenile part of my mind but sadly they haven't been assumed into English yet.   Schunklen was a new one - I had to look that up but the others you mention do sometimes occur in English usage too. 

Two english phrases, not used at Germany, always make my wife and me smile:

"baby changing" - give away your dirty one and get a clean one back!

"free range eggs" - eggs running out on the fields while the chicken are chilling in their shed!

Give me five!

2 hours ago, Z320 said:

Where from do you know the negative Schadenfreude

My daughter speaks German. She delights in using German words she thinks are more appropriate than the English ones available. She is particularly fond of anything ending in -zeug; to her it's an example of the word explaining the thing. My favourite is werkzeug :). But yes, Ian is right, I've heard Shadenfreude used in English conversation here in Australia...

I'm looking since some time for a english therm for

- fitzefatze (kidding for need or useless but very contemptuous)

- pillepalle (about the same)

- Jeck (local from the Rheinland, "your are a Jeck!", "each Jeck is different ")

it is spoken like Yeck, not like check

Perhaps she knows?

Edited by Z320

Sounds like fitzefatze  and pillepalle are rhyming-nonsense words, a bit like our use of 'tittle-tattle' for gossip or 'argy-bargy' for an argument so perhaps there is no easy translation?  I can think of the modern term  'Wallying about'?

Jeck seems to translate as 'fool' or perhaps 'knave' according to one dictionary.  English sometimes uses 'Jack' in a similar sort of way so maybe that's it?  Nowadays people might use the more modern word 'Wally' instead, as above.

Rob, you are quite right! I love argy-bargy!

Back to our TRs a hole sentence could be:

"He du Jeck du! What fitzefatze (Zeug) do you do with your TR?!?"

The way you say it "the Jeck" can be your friend but more likely hi is not (anymore) :ph34r: .....

Edited by Z320

Back to the Mazda gearbox,

"the bridge" and the new made crossmember fit lovely.

1mSKNH-hSscACTbnqAOqoKEsshtkcezRZ7hDsbcK

The knurled nut is where the speedo angle drive has to be connected.

OW1bwM-RsRaEqnPFT1PVJTuOcnSKgDnk4NZbZ-3X

This was my first wooden model to check the space I have for it, MUCH too solid!

A_sz4tAi2qUApAZK9az1CNJsRzVPUNANprGmEbng

Step by step down

2uHHWkOUnFWV1tef7-AVuV6vv7Rp0-2gxFP4dLba

About 20 mm when I want to fit it after fixing the crossmember, 26 mm when I fit it before, luckily I constructed it that way.

USb0lf9I8d3aofXu_nPzH6ygtFjgJNk2It51pZWE

This will be a thing to have some thoughts about.

Ciao, Marco

On 1/30/2021 at 10:14 PM, Z320 said:

- fitzefatze (kidding for need or useless but very contemptuous)

- pillepalle (about the same)

Bertie can't help, but I wonder if "fiddle-faddle" comes close? An apparent action that is actually pointless and a waste of energy. Or thereabouts...

18 hours ago, Z320 said:

Back to the Mazda gearbox,

"the bridge" and the new made crossmember fit lovely.

1mSKNH-hSscACTbnqAOqoKEsshtkcezRZ7hDsbcK

The knurled nut is where the speedo angle drive has to be connected.

OW1bwM-RsRaEqnPFT1PVJTuOcnSKgDnk4NZbZ-3X

This was my first wooden model to check the space I have for it, MUCH too solid!

A_sz4tAi2qUApAZK9az1CNJsRzVPUNANprGmEbng

Step by step down

2uHHWkOUnFWV1tef7-AVuV6vv7Rp0-2gxFP4dLba

About 20 mm when I want to fit it after fixing the crossmember, 26 mm when I fit it before, luckily I constructed it that way.

USb0lf9I8d3aofXu_nPzH6ygtFjgJNk2It51pZWE

This will be a thing to have some thoughts about.

Ciao, Marco

Exhaust clearance beneath the newly reinforced replacement cross member?  On a Side screen car it would probably be an issue.

Peter W

Hi Peter,

yes, I've seen the photos on the currently posts about the Overdrive cross member.

Fortunately the exhaust pipe on my "push wheel" TR4A is mostly under the frames arm, only a minimum under the crossmember.

nVkQlLhHcg9G23ivNw9bTRt2ak-AqzrF9p3lxx_a

After checking the length of the prop shaft again (the crossmeber on the trolley and in the TR is my reference point) I made a "small parcel" ready today for my prop shaft builder.

Mb2zEyaute5ar9c3xU3Lh52Z8l7US3P2WBLm3AmU

Looking forward the priece he will tell me, but I don't want to glue that with Loctite 638....

:ph34r:

Edited by Z320
14 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Peter,

yes, I've seen the photos on the currently posts about the Overdrive cross member.

Fortunately the exhaust pipe on my "push wheel" TR4A is mostly under the frames arm, only a minimum under the crossmember.

nVkQlLhHcg9G23ivNw9bTRt2ak-AqzrF9p3lxx_a

After checking the length of the prop shaft again (the crossmeber on the trolley and in the TR is my reference point) I made a "small parcel" ready today for my prop shaft builder.

Mb2zEyaute5ar9c3xU3Lh52Z8l7US3P2WBLm3AmU

Looking forward the priece he will tell me, but I don't want to glue that with Loctite 638....

:ph34r:

Bit of a tease here.

GKN Carbon Fiber Composite Propeller Shaft Technology  
Bond the existing couplings/flanges and UJ to a carbon fibre tube.  Works for the racing world.

https://www.brighthubengineering.com/manufacturing-technology/76524-gkn-technology-for-propeller-shafts/

• 2 weeks later...

Currently I'm waiting for the probshaft (some problems...)

and I give some thought on how to make a different "angle drive", I don't trust the crown wheel and pinion.

Edited by Z320

Hi everybody,

the issue with the speedo cable is 1st: the very limited space to the right side of the gearbox,

2nd: I want to use an original speedo cable to safe money - and 3rd: I have to speed up the spins by about factor 1.5326 (my calculation).

I stopped the idea to make a angle drive with 25 tooth crown and 16 tooth pinion (factor 1.56) because of my limited possibilities.

So my idea is "to loop" the spin down through under the gearbox to the left side.

This is my wooden model to check the dimensions.

F7BW_jTTr2nzxrddbLhNmnaqmw4ngyHU73mxXGrZ

So5bqUgPwN4n3O1sjyl1JBhTFw5UHkxddlG66Nq6

Hjm55JJua_WedKtmdqyLAEd61ZLnoRvZTKP9fTeu

Inside there will be 2 printer timing pulleys 30 and 20 tooth (factor 1.5), a 180 mm long GT2 toothed printer belt for the distance,

also two POM cogs to inverse the spin, some bearings, axles, other stuff, some standard parts from eBay. 

I have no idea if this works and how durable it will be. I will see....

Ciao, Marco