my new gearbox? (Mazda MX-5 to TR)

Bit surprised at that Marco. After all if a g/box fails it’s no big deal. I could understand something like a different design of axle or other component that directly affects the steering and handling.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ups, the adaptors are already delivered, I'm really surprised about the laser cut surface! Tomorrow will be first fit, please keep fingers crossed for me.  

Thanks Russell and Andi, thank you very much, all worked well, fit was 100% on first attempt, the 8 mm drills are exaxtly to the point they have to be for the 5/16" bolts! Btw, the bar is on

Talking of gearbox changes, back in the 8o`s when I was involved with Jaguar racing we converted a V12 XJS from a GM 400 auto box to a Cosworth T6 manual 5 speed by a cut and shut of the two bell hous

Posted Images

Hi Dave,

the car it is registered as a historic vehicle and this gives me some benefits at Germany,

mainly less tax and I'm allowed to drive in restricted areas (air pollution).

Therefore the car has to be mainly "original" and in well condition.

I'm not allowed to use my MX-5  Mk 2 seats (tolerated), my IRS adjustable brackets (long discussions last year),

in the strictly sense no modern starter (perhaps they don't realize it) and no alternator (I don't use).

And I'm shure: no MX-5 gearbox at all.....

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
my bad english
2 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi Dave,

the car it is registered as a historic vehicle and this gives me some benefits at Germany,

mainly less tax and I'm allowed to drive in restricted areas (air pollution).

Therefore the car has to be mainly "original" and in well condition.

I'm not allowed to use my MX-5  Mk 2 seats (tolerated), my IRS adjustable brackets (long discussions last year), in the strictly sense no modern starter (I will see) and no alternator (I don't use).

And I'm shure: no MX-5 gearbox.....

Ciao, Marco

I went through similar many years ago when I sold one of my MK2 Jaguars to a German friend, TUV didnt like that it was on wires so I had to provide catalogue proof of them being an option and send him some "Continental" spinners.

Stuart.

7 hours ago, stuart said:

I went through similar many years ago when I sold one of my MK2 Jaguars to a German friend, TUV didnt like that it was on wires so I had to provide catalogue proof of them being an option and send him some "Continental" spinners.

Stuart.

Wow and we think the MOT is tough! 

Next is to look for the rear gearbox mounting,

today I did just some preparation for that / to get the gearbox on the spare engine again, "all" bolts have been already glued in the adapter.

fQqtXqsCe2ZbAVKQXFDOVanA1kIW0Y0ciZgpFmEQ

-Do8c3br0VeBhmIP8YbU_bv576j4vGiTM0n3TOop

This a a dummy spigot "bearing" made of POM to check the center again.

gk5JmglnOwWiyjXUvaMapvNQjSrlmf1rQqiZD0nQ

This is the way I want to use the original gearbox mounting, "ears " cut off and new drilled.

EQxvyJj-R9pOH1-BnAuipEZbwsXJy4tbK1K5d-sj

Maybe it  makes sense to be able to move the mounting more foreward, about 40 mm is possible with a small modification.

m3s999SnxRnfihWGqq5icEMst0R_whoSl_221aQg

COiLOIdo2oO8UZ4wQ3jVR2ufR18_hnWs2-Tm0Kl4

8vvpJQHHlpsras3ZYylRVwkJFrg3cNyrC2cZE277

Cy8lmGfd_kxAtPbXJ88-jrMeAfS6Cevrn6WF83tX

Doing this will give me later another lovely benefit,

some of you perhaps already know or ask yourself how I handle a upcoming problem.

To decide more the gearbox has to go on the engine and its trolley, half a year ago I marked there position of the crossmember.

Merry Christmas to everybody, Marco

Edited by Z320

This is 16 mm to contact...

NBX614DTz28vK3iEXQgupFlp2hRvGZgeAOQcMtUI

yvPB2jgBTDmN6IwTRjhDhwAobrpDNDllXs6XS9ki

Ready for contact...

54prRk8sEj275wNuVG8GtSZE5FHF4Ufmk9hAQYR7

Contact!

rOfJJod2hp0E1Oxappdj1RyQlE7vmunW4kMr7MZR

Position II

LhKLwbqvhfZaOwgHyqWUwJip4NtlB-0iQ1PRnRwV

Contact!

oMTib3Bn3kVxB_as3T-LuVP8L-fH5lchA1XAT9fm

The MX-5 gearbox has landed on planet TR!

Next is to bother the crossmember

fiN3OIBEEi1SKZaIe5iQQYhNscwffdey4iR_psf5

This will be the next puzzle

cWAeeJmOJZPZrrVrO9qtCF7cAndxvh4m72qrdstw

07rvjI7ezgOs-8H9W0sBNifvQxDr-4Fa1AlulewC

How ever it will be, I cannot pull the gearbox back enought to fit it with the crossmember in.

I will see....

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

ups,

last day of the year and a 28 mm hole in the gearbox!

q8wcrH-CGQaWDGHpd5jOlnezZSSsuDb5nM14-wGd

Sadly this project has to be finished next year.

I've been told at the UK the "lucky pig" is not know as a symbol, so let me tell you at Germany its a symbol for "Good Luck!"

And that's what my lucky workshop pig (a she) and I wish you for 2021!

pD0ZGJqKRlFqMEU4vOXS_a6SibxGogf0L55EfqZr

You see her twinkling on the window board, she's always sitting there, watching me, the hole scene and the stuff I'm doing.

h1Cb4Bo8HOykYGS8yumCJvzvaQvoxBhEEpLSA0XF

See you next year, stay safe and healthy.

Ciao, Marco

Hi,

in 2021 just idea finding how to fix the rear end, the steel sheet is in the position of the crossmenber.

ULgVGLxvQ0MiL3IMuFQaiTgJN5W8e8k8UX_eJt2d

Sadly the gap up to the gearbox is only 20 mm

H55Q89jiPWai7K5sARtdOXYvZmF5pqeAtosogsMe

Not enough to use the original (modified) mounting - and I want to let the rear end some millimeters down....

IIHIqwoq97rTc9GQkQwhejh9hdZi-H9xygP62jXr

I guess this could be the way a DIY crossmember could fit, lowered about 30 mm.

Yesterday I only picked up the dimensions of the prop shaft on my TR for the new one.

eFaMdwDKmAbRD-mf_detH6NypvVLLH-TEkMjDQ5f

And had some ideas how to fix the rear end of the gearbox.

Next the crossmember has to be out of the TR and fixed on my trolley.

I hate working in the cold garage....

19 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I hate working in the cold garage...

Come to Sydney. Warm, if very wet just now!

John

Hi,

the crossmember is out of my TR4A but I can't get it in the position I marked it in May 2020 on my trolley

fT9sh-5flsz2BBuUHrz7swHPMwOmI9sQedZTaxej

because the gearbox touches it

awJvRfEaSKoXLy5XuiLoD_6tAQbcnN5MkTez1O36

as long as I can cut something off the gearbox there is no problem

77B7tYbqCQTEIMTVlRMs9NBXRmDDriUNZYoHiCiT

this way it works.....

mAWrdrT7xgM_t6hfNCGGMVNAWfEQQsbOvpNIO3mE

to fing out how long the new prop shaft has to be, made from the rear ent of a TR and the front end from a MX-5 prop shaft

oonmlhdq60BXFh0wFHpIzw_B7ZuIpLJcbzedEvE6

The new one will have no slide in the middle like our TRs have, it sildes in the gearbox itself and is lubricated with oil!

This is one option to fix the rear end (the wood will be metal, of course), but I'm not shure about.

eN-YX7TeEfVDc_s0vZmb2-ltQQqDUJ2rxRNIbaeL

On the right side you see why I can't move more forward

7Y2HvHlCWaAomeC0gjFHzcZDy9AyG8yDWLyhVocP

Another idea is to use another silent block in front of the speedo drive to bear the weight there.

I found one from the AH Sprite, perhaps somebody has one in his workshop to measure?

fmUHsD957GHZTsqBejI5HLHqLgZlznAvhU87i5ud

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

I think it might also be difficult to fit a propshaft like that to an IRS chassis when fitting the box to the engine in the car.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, I expect the diff has to go out.

And because the MX-5 gearbox about 90 mm longer perhaps the tunnel has to be cut out for some centimeters.

To get the gearbox in the TR will be a own chapter, I hope my gearbox crane helps me.

Hi,

if someone wants to look in his workshop for the AH item, please stop it, I go a different way.

HvdmaPUq_ZmcXHZl0NCi80Qb5OcAkL5IGq2VACrX

This looks like much effort but it is not and it solves the problem of the gearbox angled in the frame automatically.

pjI-knW2NzxDwNn7zTUb75QM797-FqrCuVvsSZk9

Sometimes it's the best to let all tools stored and give the thoughts a free run.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320
2 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi,

if someone wants to look in his workshop for the AH item, please stop it, I go a different way.

HvdmaPUq_ZmcXHZl0NCi80Qb5OcAkL5IGq2VACrX

This looks like much effort but it is not and it solves the problem of the gearbox angled in the frame automatically.

pjI-knW2NzxDwNn7zTUb75QM797-FqrCuVvsSZk9

Sometimes it's the best to let all tools stored and give the thoughts a free run.

Ciao, Marco

Quite right Marco. We say it’s best to take a step back and have a glass of wine and think.It can work wonders.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

at the moment I'm at this point - and OK, it was some effort but with this "bridge"

I can fix the gearbox nearly at the same position in the TR's frame as the original TR gearbox.

c3KrRQhKOshAEwaSSWARRNWskdIeDRzXVFb8AX6j

To determine the position for a bar 90° to the bridge I have to go out in my cold and dark garage

and wait for the ordered cogs and parts for the speedo angle drive....

Ciao, Marco

Today I did some bending for the new gearbox crossmember,

on top a test bend from 0.6 mm steel sheet to pick up the dimensions,

next the one I bended from 4 mm steel, sadly it could be wider on the top (wrong calculation) for the speedo angle drive.

YBtFsgVnnrbAJu6zcapsOP5tOnDWRrHbIxAuvrEV

This way I saved the situation, this gives me more space, now I only have to cut "the wings" smaller.

81mDc4vT3GVCBSfFEK-Fice_gfACSbYjxrZuEZEV

Sorry Malcom, no progress on the EPS, this challenge was more interesting...

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Lovely, I had to cut nothing smaller.

Here it is drilled, the surface needs some sand blasting and finally will get a black oxide finish.

b6MdBke9MTMXyn5w_S33cXibEoQ3UUBO5-rFsd7R

From another project I still have this PU bushes and 1" pipe pieces.

Through "the bridge" is a M10 x 100 mm bar with two steel bushes, that's some kind like on our cars falcrum pins.

kYLYXp2wDn9e45dpmhCsfZiL5eQVDCkIYgY00ibL

Like this, the four holes on the rear are for the new exhaust bracket, the original TR part of cause will not work with this construction.

hOPxZygDN-wHEeFgpcvDE426-yiU8OgD62FVB55l

I think I will make some more modification to get the crossmember more stiff.

yTIwDZMTfK_2WPRYFkO6_tBBL5rPbfhtYKQRPTYP

Currently I wait for the cogs (from China) to make the angle drive,

this will be with a ratio gear to speed the cable up, the MX-5 output spins too slow for the TR speedo.

What I did not check until now is the spin of the output (same way / reverse), this is next after the TR crossmember is back in the TR under the TR gearbox.

Ciao, Marco

I'm loving this story. It's like a (good) series on TV - I'm hanging on for the next episode. No way I could ever attempt it, but I am getting vicarious pleasure from it. Kind of the opposite of schadenfreude ;)

John