1955 TR2 LBK 4 - Anyone know this car or owner?

Been having a dig through some boxes in the loft and found some old photos of TuRK in a long lost envelope from the previous owner (1968 - 2003) and in amongst them were these high quality photos (the scans below are low-res) of a 1955 TR2 (LBK 4) stored in what appears to be a barn/workshop, probably taken in the late 70's - 80's and likely to be in the Wokingham/Reading, Berkshire area. It's wearing an interesting split rear screen hardtop.

LBK 4 appears on the DVLA (still in white) as road tax being due on 1 June 2020 (the 'Glorious First of June'), so wondered whether anyone knew the car and/or owner as they may like the photos for their history file. In the meantime, I'll drop Mike Ellis a note.

Cheers, Andrew

img042.thumb.jpg.e24bbccce59c15c7f0704c06570d7800.jpg

img043.thumb.jpg.cb9ce1d49b24f0313052b7691e876353.jpg

img044.thumb.jpg.33d10f68821395136b0ac6d2671c5c3d.jpg

img045.thumb.jpg.53860603cfd54eb420680aa9e6262d80.jpg

img046.thumb.jpg.7be1b6e1010710787a2219755d1184aa.jpg

Hi Andrew,

Don't know the car but as you say the hard top is very interesting and there is something odd about the top behind the driver where it meets the rear deck. Lokks almost like there is a soft section fill in piece. or perhaps it is just bent!!!

Nice photo, I wish I had more early photos or any photos of my TR2 back in the days before I bought around 1972.

Rod

Looks like the photo was taken at the back of a guesthouse, inn, or pub. Toilets sign, loads of mattresses stacked up, several waterproof jackets hanging, a garage belonging to a working establishment. Engine bay suggesting a probably functional car?

Edited by DavidBee

Hi Andrew,

is it perhaps one of those unusual Targa tops with a removable rear window, Zoomed in as far as I can and there seems to be fixings across the top and across the rear deck.

Did the steel hard tops have a glass or a Perspex rear window?  Looks to me like a standard steel hard top, if fibreglass it would have broken instead of bent at the o/s corner, and I would say that it has had a replacement rear window made and fitted with (probably) an aluminium surround and centre support to keep it in place.

What is the badge or light centre rear, don’t think that was ‘standard’? 

And purpose of the cable fixed near to the rear passenger side overrider?

Appears to me that original hard top suffered damage to the rear of driver side, breaking the glass or Perspex and plastic soft top type rear window fitted.

On a final note, apart from the superficial, looks pretty rot free (at least at that stage of life) which should only help to be a survivor.

Centre rear could be a reversing light.  More usually, they were mounted onto the right rear overrider.

Ian Cornish

27 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Maybe this guy knows:

I just did a Google search with the reg number

Charlie

Triumph 1955 TR2 LBK 4

TR Register sticker'n all!!!

Andrew has kindly notified me of this thread.

We have no current knowledge of this car, the last known owner left the club about ten years ago so whether he still has it or has sold it is anyone's guess.  Very few owners update us when they leave so unless a new owner joins the club contact with the car gets lost.

Mike

6 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Did the steel hard tops have a glass or a Perspex rear window?  Looks to me like a standard steel hard top, if fibreglass it would have broken instead of bent at the o/s corner, and I would say that it has had a replacement rear window made and fitted with (probably) an aluminium surround and centre support to keep it in place.

It looks likee a standard HT, but given the rear distortion could be an early Aluminium one.

The rear screens were Perspex but were quite prone to popping put on cars that had less then perfect body and hardtop alignment. See WSM

• 7 months later...

Hello, This is my car. My Dad restored it about 9 years ago, took delivery with most of the car in boxes. I think someone stripped it, but never got any further. My Dad rebuilt the car over a two year period. Its not been out much in recent years. Now I acquired the car off him, post covid, you may see it out next year at shows in and around essex. 

Regards 

Danny

DSC_0354.JPG

Edited by DanTM
Adding Pic
On 12/5/2020 at 4:23 PM, DanTM said:

Hello, This is my car.............

......you may see it out next year at shows in and around essex. 

Regards Danny

Hi Danny,

Plenty of meets in Essex to choose from next year - distances depend on where you are located ?

Be excellent to see your car out and about with the local TR2's. If you check your PM top of the screen I've sent you some contact details for the events organisers for the County.

Regards

Bob

Stow UAL Soldier close.jpg