Can you identify these cars ?

This is an interesting but typical street scene dating from around 1963.

Can you identify the models in the photo, but most importantly and for the real boffins can you identify the two mystery vehicles going away from the camera behind the bus and the Triumph Herald?

Kevin

85B8DC7B-EE0F-4060-AB98-A5D5B054C68D.jpeg

The front one looks like it might be a P6 Rover.  Are you sure the one in front of that is a Herald?  Looks more like an Imp to me given the short rear deck.

I’m certain the one behind the bus is a Herald saloon. 

I originally thought the vehicle at the back of the queue was a Standard Vanguard Estate, but apparently it isn’t. A rather nice Renault Dauphine to the left- don’t often see those !

Clue is they are both foreign?

3 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

I think the one immediately behind the Herald estate is a Rover 2000 P6, the other one - Is it a Standard Vanguard Estate?

Rgds Ian

That was my thought too

The estate car looks like a Wartburg or Borgward Isabella, the car in front looks similar to a Skoda but seems to big, more likely a Rover P6.

Interesting that the three Morris Minors (1000?) are convertibles.

Others are 2 HA Vivas, 2 A35 Austin vans, a Morris 1000 van, a Bedford mk2 CA van, 2 Mk3c Hillman Minx, a Ford Cortina, a Consul (unusually with a sunroof),a couple of minis and an 1100, a Farina of some description probably a Morris, P4 Rover, 2 ford 100e possibly 107e, the 2 Heralds one a convertible a Bedford TK lorry and the double deckers look like AECs. the single decker could be a Bristol.

Edited by Cew
additional info

If you mean the estate thing Pete, I was thinking Ford Squire 100E but it isn't quite right - the wing bulges look too fat, the central tailgate handle isn't there and the bumper is the wrong shape.

I don't think it's a Wartburg either- the rear window is too small and the number plate was in the middle of the tailgate not on the bumper. 

32 minutes ago, Cew said:

The estate car looks like a Wartburg Isabella, the car in front looks similar to a Skoda but seems to big, more likely a Rover P6.

Interesting that the three Morris Minors (1000?) are convertibles.

Others are 2 HA Vivas, 2 A35 Austin vans, a Morris 1000 van, a Bedford mk2 CA van, 2 Mk3c Hillman Minx, a Ford Cortina, a Consul (unusually with a sunroof),a couple of minis and an 1100, a Farina of some description probably a Morris, P4 Rover, 2 ford 100e possibly 107e, the 2 Heralds one a convertible a Bedford TK lorry and the double deckers look like AECs. the single decker could be a Bristol.

That’s a very comprehensive answer Cew especially on the Marks and a well noticed piece of detail by Peejay which I did not know. 

I agree with your answers but thought maybe the car right at the back was another Mk1 Consul Cortina though it could well be another HA Viva. I think the Farina is an Austin Cambridge A55 and agree the bus s/d looks like a Bristol. I’m not sure on the manufacturer of the other buses.

Others are a Renault Dauphine ( rarely see these even at shows) a Morris Traveller and an Austin Minivan. 

Now, the two behind the Herald are.. I thought the back one was a Standard Vanguard Estate, but I’ve noted the Vanguard does appear to have a rear light housing on the tailgate but very similar.  This doesn’t . But still ‘nil pois’for the one in front but not a P6!  An eagle eyed and very knowledgable expert managed to identify both so I’ll post later unless someone beats me to it!

Kevin

4 hours ago, RobH said:

The front one looks like it might be a P6 Rover.  Are you sure the one in front of that is a Herald?  Looks more like an Imp to me given the short rear deck.

Hi Rob

If you mean the one behind the bus with brake lights on I’m sure it’s a Herald??

22 minutes ago, RobH said:

If you mean the estate thing Pete, I was thinking Ford Squire 100E but it isn't quite right - the wing bulges look too fat, the central tailgate handle isn't there and the bumper is the wrong shape.

No, I was looking a the dark coloured 100E facing us behind the HA Viva.

Yes I realise now Pete. I was getting confused  - not sure which posts people were commenting on. :huh:

Interesting (to me) that I have driven six of the types appearing in the picture. 

Looking at the estate that is behind the Rover P6 that apparently isn't, it could well be a foreign car because the rear loading door is hinged on the wrong side for a UK vehicle.

Rgds Ian

4 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

Cars and photo very nostalgic are brilliant, but where was the picture taken, the Victorian obelisk in the background should give someone a clue?

Colin.

And the pub is selling Watneys Red Barrel so it will probably be somewhere in the South East.

Rgds Ian

1 hour ago, stillp said:

Prince of Wales Road, Norwich, according to Mr Google.

Pete

You did well there Pete to work out the location! And Ian's suggestion is getting a bit more European maybe?

The expert says the car behind the Herald is a Simca Aronde, ( I can see where the Rover P6 comes from across the roof) and the Estate is supposedly an Opel Caravan? ..I'm not that convinced myself really. My other guess was a Ford Zephyr Estate, but I'm only 50/50 on the Opel. I can't see the chrome boot lock in the photo for one thing.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits
4 hours ago, boxofbits said:

That’s a very comprehensive answer Cew especially on the Marks and a well noticed piece of detail by Peejay which I did not know. 

I agree with your answers but thought maybe the car right at the back was another Mk1 Consul Cortina though it could well be another HA Viva. I think the Farina is an Austin Cambridge A55 and agree the bus s/d looks like a Bristol. I’m not sure on the manufacturer of the other buses.

Others are a Renault Dauphine ( rarely see these even at shows) a Morris Traveller and an Austin Minivan. 

Now, the two behind the Herald are.. I thought the back one was a Standard Vanguard Estate, but I’ve noted the Vanguard does appear to have a rear light housing on the tailgate but very similar.  This doesn’t . But still ‘nil pois’for the one in front but not a P6!  An eagle eyed and very knowledgable expert managed to identify both so I’ll post later unless someone beats me to it!

Kevin

I omitted the Borgward for the estate in my first reply but accept I am wrong. The Farina I thought was a Morris Oxford because I can't recall the Austin having a two tone paint scheme again happy to be wrong, and yes there are two Consul Cortinas one in front of the rear Viva.

4 hours ago, peejay4A said:

It's a 100E Anglia.  The Prefect/107E has a trim around the headlight/trafficator.

I could see the one in front of the bus after the lights was an Anglia but was unsure of how many doors the oncoming one had and didn't know of the trim details.

Well done all, and the biggest culprit finally identied by Rob. Surprising just how many iconic manufacturers and models of the era that unfortunately get forgotten about such as the Dauphine and Simca Aronde.

Bit of fun, and good to improve our knowledge at the same time!

Kevin

My Dad had a Renault Dauphine, & it was the first car I was allowed to drive, albeit off road.

Took my test in his next car which was an Renault R8

Bob.