Steel wheel centres.

Can someone explain how the plastic centre hubs fit. They have springs on the back that look like they should tension up with the wheel nuts. But my wheel nuts look like they would pull straight through the plastic straight away. Maybe I have the wrong lug nuts or are they supposed to run washer/spacers to help pull up the plastic centres.

IMG_3037.JPG

The wheel nuts are designed to hold the wheel centres in place against the 4 small springs. They use plastic washers to protect the plastic wheel centre.

image.png.49648a6d7a00686fe247274c58d10243.png

chris

Edited by TRsixchris

They are available in chrome or Stainless Steel - not cheap for a full set of 16. Various suppliers on the bay as well as the usual triumph suppliers.

Chris

Angus, beware the chrome plated wheel nuts, they degrade at any exposure to moisture and look awful. With those wheels I would ‘go the extra yard’ and get the stainless nuts, pricey but worthwhile.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:11 AM, Sill Gap Problem said:

Angus, beware the chrome plated wheel nuts, they degrade at any exposure to moisture and look awful. With those wheels I would ‘go the extra yard’ and get the stainless nuts, pricey but worthwhile.

If you go for stainless make sure that they are made from 304 s/s which is marine grade as this grade is completely impervious to rust and salt! 403 grade is not and this warning applies to exhaust systems as well.

Bruce.

When I went back to steel wheels nearly 5 years ago I used ordinary chrome plated nuts and I have to say that they are still as good as the day they were fitted with no marks whatsoever. I guess if you keep your TR on the street and use it over winter on salty roads then corrosion might become as issue and I think chrome wheelnuts would be the least of your worries then.

cheers

Derek