Register race at Silverstone...

On 5/1/2020 at 8:44 PM, spyder dryver said:

I found these pics earlier today so I thought I'd post them here. It's Silverstone in the late 80's. Most of the usual suspects are there. How many can you name??

regW.jpg

croda.jpg

GeoffM.jpg

start.jpg

I'll have a go at a few

The White TR3a No 71 is our very fast Reg Woodcock, and the Dark Blue TR3a is Geoff Mansfield who owned Northern TR centre.

Mick Richards

AAaahhh my wig had fallen off Geoff when I crawled under looking for inspiration.

Mick Richards

8th March 1986 Silverstone  Round 1 Cox & Buckles TR Register Race Championship.

Good start from Geoff Mansfield 64 and Pete Cox 61. Pole man Reg Woodcock, who had won the championship the previous year, falls back momentarily to the 2nd row alongside Steve Hall 30 and Mike Walker 69.

Reg went on to win comfortably from Pete Cox who was well clear of Steve Hall who finished 3rd. Geoff Mansfield retired and car 51 is the TR5 of Jeff Pumford who finished 10th and last. This is the car that went on to win the championship in 1995 in the hands of Joe Henderson. It also won the 50th TRIUMPH TR anniversary race at Mid Ohio in 2002 when raced by Chris Petch and is now the very quick car that is raced by Mark Campbell (minus the registration number)!

For the record, the folicly-challenged Mick Richards, or Motorsport Mickey, as he is now known, did not appear that season until round 3 at Mallory Park.

Mike Hughes

1 hour ago, MikeHughes said:

8th March 1986 Silverstone  Round 1 Cox & Buckles TR Register Race Championship.

Good start from Geoff Mansfield 64 and Pete Cox 61. Pole man Reg Woodcock, who had won the championship the previous year, falls back momentarily to the 2nd row alongside Steve Hall 30 and Mike Walker 69.

Reg went on to win comfortably from Pete Cox who was well clear of Steve Hall who finished 3rd. Geoff Mansfield retired and car 51 is the TR5 of Jeff Pumford who finished 10th and last. This is the car that went on to win the championship in 1995 in the hands of Joe Henderson. It also won the 50th TRIUMPH TR anniversary race at Mid Ohio in 2002 when raced by Chris Petch and is now the very quick car that is raced by Mark Campbell (minus the registration number)!

For the record, the folicly-challenged Mick Richards, or Motorsport Mickey, as he is now known, did not appear that season until round 3 at Mallory Park.

Mike Hughes

Yes, from memory 86 was my second season which was frustrating having a season long power robbing misfire which defied diagnosis caused by a carb jet having developed a groove after running happily previously.

FBCB1154-AD26-466E-B15C-FB4FB1F1A625.thumb.jpeg.5b8d7a80d7f19fb252ed1f04317963c5.jpeg

Even after appearing at Mallory, Geoff my mechanic and I battled all year before finally nailing it fully later in the season, but 87 was a much better season !

Mick Richards   

Edited by Motorsport Mickey