Star chem paint stripper

I have a bottle of the above in garage but I noticed today that it has a use by date does this stuff actually expire ? I didn’t want to go to all the hassle of protecting everything getting togged up in all my ppe and saftey undies only to paint the stuff on and it  doesn’t work, if nobody knows realise I can just try it but if it’s a case of it works but not as well as stuff that’s in date I’d rather save the effort and start with a new bottle.

I've found that if stored too long, the more volatile part is lost, so the stripper thickens and becomes less effective. As a former industrial chemist, I suspect it's the methylene chloride solvent migrating out through the plastic bottle.

Short version... If it has turned very thick in storage, it probably won't work as well as expected.

Nigel

5 minutes ago, Nigel Triumph said:

I've found that if stored too long, the more volatile part is lost, so the stripper thickens and becomes less effective. As a former industrial chemist, I suspect it's the methylene chloride solvent migrating out through the plastic bottle.

Short version... If it has turned very thick in storage, it probably won't work as well as expected.

Nigel

That is what I have also found. If the container has been opened then it will have a shortish shelf life. It may last longer in the unopened state.

However the proof is - is it still sloppy. If it is thick to the point of not actually running out of the container then dispose of it.

Roger

Hi Pete,

I do not know the precise answer but the product is water washable and the main nasty bit readily evaporates.

So would washing it down the mucky drain (as opposed to rain water run off)  be the way to go.

Not down ANY drain  https://www.spraygunsdirect.co.uk/media/imgUpload/PS-50/safety.pdf

Roger  

Edited by RogerH

Thanks guys looks like what I have has had it 

Overhere we are used to bring old garbage and also old chemicals, paint, oil to a community yard. I assume you have something similar too?

Waldi

Hi Roger,

overhere they are still open, although with limitations (not too crowded).
Many people do jobs in and around the house here, so businesses related to that flourish.
(parts for my jobs come from the UK though :D).

Cheers,

Waldi

On 5/1/2020 at 5:30 PM, Nigel Triumph said:

Nigel

I've just been using a similar product, Langlow MHP / PS50, see photo, to strip Single Polyurethane paint from a metal Up and Over garage door to repaint it.

I'd opened the tin about 6 months ago to trial strip a TR6 front wing. It's been kept tightly sealed ever since then but on opening it this week it was a bit thicker than I remembered from the previous use. It was a bit like the consistency of wallpaper paste for want of a better description.

It worked well though and the results were as expected.

Dave McDIMG_0206.thumb.JPG.81c43c1bacf97a04431cc21fa68ce06f.JPG

I've found that with strippers as well as some other products, going by brand names is often not the best way choose products.  Going by active ingredients is much more reliable.  Vendors sometimes change formulations while retaining familiar brand names.  I consider this deceptive, and it's fooled me in the past.

The most effective strippers in the recent past have been Methylene Chloride based.  With recent restrictions on that chemical, some well known products have moved to much less effective formulations without making it obvious on the packaging.

Ed

Edited by ed_h
typo
8 hours ago, ed_h said:

I've found that with strippers as well as some other products, going by brand names is often not the best way choose products.  Going by active ingredients us much more reliable.  Vendors sometimes change formulations while retaining familiar brand names.  I consider this deceptive, and it's fooled me in the past.

The most effective strippers in the recent past have been Methylene Chloride based.  With recent restrictions on that chemical, some well known products have moved to much less effective formulations without making it obvious on the packaging.

Ed

Which is why Nitromors which used to be very effective now doesnt do anything!

Stuart.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:28 AM, ed_h said:

I've found that with strippers as well as some other products, going by brand names is often not the best way choose products.  Going by active ingredients is much more reliable.  Vendors sometimes change formulations while retaining familiar brand names.  I consider this deceptive, and it's fooled me in the past.

Ed

I checked the Langlow product information on the tin which states it contains Dichloromethane and Methanol. Means nothing to me but it worked ok.

Dave McD

I had occasion to use some stripper this week and dug out a old tin of Nitromors - and it was empty!  Evaporated?

Can't recall how old, probably ten years +.     There was a strange 'growth', like  pale yellow lichen on the base, as if it had leaked, but no corrosion in or out.

Bought a new tin (Click & Collect!  Added to 'essential' shopping trip to no offence, officer!) and that was indeed like the 'wallpaper paste' that Dave found, above.

I was using it on this:

229744951_Coatofarms.thumb.jpg.d741af5525606950335b88eff0738217.jpg

Which I liberated from a condemned mains electricty junction box at the end of my road.   It would have gone for scrap otherwise.   It shows the Arms of Lancaster, I presume from the days of local electricity supplies, and is cast iron, with very fine detailing when the old paint was off.    I'll need to repair the top left corner that was broken long ago.

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies