Headlamp rims

I have a pair of headlamp rims that aren't actually a pair. One is in fair condition and the other poor. They are also different profiles (see pic of both rims together). The better one on the left is more rounded and noticeably heavier and more likely to be original.

I'm ideally looking for a rim to match the better of the two. Quality of repro units is variable to say the least.

If I have to buy a new pair, can anyone recommend a brand (ideally that have lasted a few years). Chrome on brass would be good though I've seen alloy ones advertised but haven't seen them in the flesh.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b181.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b183.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_b182.jpg

Edited by Ocheye

I have quite an assortment in my shed so will have a look later and see whats what.

Stuart.

I am surprised that I have had only one response to this query.

Basically I would like to know who has bought replacement headlamp rims and whether they are happy or not. There is so much rubbish out there (particularly chrome and electrical related parts) even from reputable companies.

I bought a sidelamp unit for my TR4 recently and was very disappointed with the quality and had to modify it significantly in order to fit it (and use some parts from my old unit)

Please let me know your experiences, good or bad

Andy

I also have a selection of these in my garage, but the ones on the car were sourced from Ebay, described as being for a Mini.

20200502_110453.jpg.bb94d14c4a2f3b31c976cf8aa5f82cbb.jpg 20200502_110505.jpg.d2fde1b60389c0698f8516335ff4c049.jpg 20200502_110512.thumb.jpg.9b51e5bcbd5896de175cc9b69c960df3.jpg 20200502_110542.jpg.ccb2099f7652146cad64d66e9f09aa62.jpg

Bob

Try asking eBay member “classicxcarxspares”.

They supply rims and hubcaps and I believe they are made by

http://www.hipwellarden.co.uk/

It is claimed that these people have been making such things in Birmingham since the car was invented, quite possibly made the original ones for triumph.

Charlie

On 5/2/2020 at 1:05 PM, Charlie D said:

Try asking eBay member “classicxcarxspares”.

They supply rims and hubcaps and I believe they are made by

http://www.hipwellarden.co.uk/

It is claimed that these people have been making such things in Birmingham since the car was invented, quite possibly made the original ones for triumph.

Charlie

I have ordered a pair of these from Alec at Classic Car Spares for £32.95 inc delivery. Any issues, full refund. There are so many ads out there and they are all the 'best quality' but, as you said, these are made in Birmingham by an old established company and that gives me rather more confidence. Many thanks Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

I have now received the rims which look OK though not as heavy as the original. However when I offer them up and tighten the screw they just pop off the top because there is no retaining tab! Bugger

IMG_4314.thumb.jpg.789e7ea1cc9a595221051dcabf57066f.jpgIMG_4313.thumb.jpg.3fc573b5c152b384b5cce6ade2cd0bd1.jpg

You could make a little bracket and bond it in to the rim. Or send them back!

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart

I'm inclined to return them. I'm sick of having to modify spare parts that don't fit properly. Under normal circumstances I could probably find something at an autojumble but that isn't going to be for a long time.

I don't know how effective an 'araldited' plate would be but I'm not writing the idea off as these came recommended and I may struggle to find a better option

Andy

Just now, Ocheye said:

Thanks Stuart

I'm inclined to return them. I'm sick of having to modify spare parts that don't fit properly. Under normal circumstances I could probably find something at an autojumble but that isn't going to be for a long time.

I don't know how effective an 'araldited' plate would be but I'm not writing the idea off as these came recommended and I may struggle to find a better option

Andy

I will have a look tomorrow through my shed and see what I have in the way of originals that might be in good enough condition.

Stuart.

On my headlamp bowls the rim is retained at the top when it clips over two raised portions on the bowl, & at the bottom by a self tap screw into a small square bracket on the bowl. There is no "tab" anywhere on the rim.

Bob.

28 minutes ago, Lebro said:

On my headlamp bowls the rim is retained at the top when it clips over two raised portions on the bowl, & at the bottom by a self tap screw into a small square bracket on the bowl. There is no "tab" anywhere on the rim.

Bob.

That's coz you don't drive a 'modern' Bob.

Joking apart the screw fitted type rim should work on a TR4, as you can get at the rim attaching screw.  All that is needed is the spire nut clip.  Alternatively if a clip on rim is wanted  and you do not want to buy a genuine TR rim use what I recommended some years ago in The Moss parts books.  Item BAU1460 instead of BAU1460TR

Peter W

image.png.329e8cad070458b4ff6b7783a1e38abc.pngBAU1460

image.png.83529f25a3b39f57c48d23427d919fbb.png  BAU1460TR

Thanks Peter W.

My old rims have a tab at the top held in place with a rivet. This locates behind the bowl rim/inner chrome headlamp retainer (if that makes sense)at the top.

The screw at the bottom goes into a spire nut as you and Bob have mentioned.

I'm not sure quite how the BAU1460 works or, indeed, where it is fitted (I assume at the top). Does the silver pat clip over the rim or the black part spring over the rim? If the latter I would have thought you would need 3 and not need the screw!

Andy

16 hours ago, stuart said:

I will have a look tomorrow through my shed and see what I have in the way of originals that might be in good enough condition.

Stuart.

That would be marvellous, Stuart

7 minutes ago, Ocheye said:

Thanks Peter W.

My old rims have a tab at the top held in place with a rivet. This locates behind the bowl rim/inner chrome headlamp retainer (if that makes sense)at the top.

The screw at the bottom goes into a spire nut as you and Bob have mentioned.

I'm not sure quite how the BAU1460 works or, indeed, where it is fitted (I assume at the top). Does the silver pat clip over the rim or the black part spring over the rim? If the latter I would have thought you would need 3 and not need the screw!

Andy

The above clips are for the type of rim that hooks over the raised lip on the bowl itself and then just press fit into the above clip at the bottom, correct for TR3A/4A/5 where the grill or in the case of a 3a the body itself precludes being able to fit a screw into the bottom.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi all

its worth trying the aluminium rims for mk1Mini and others as they seem to be good quality manufacture and the finish is reasonable. Not cheap but they are cheaper than having OE rims rechromed or replacing repros every few years.

I use them on the rally cars and they tend to stay attached longer, although obviously one swipe of the rear tyre when they fall off and they are not worth going back down the road to collect.

regars

Tony

4 minutes ago, Ocheye said:

Thanks Stuart

Certainly I don't have trouble accessing the screw on my 4

Andy

Have a look at your headlamp bowls and see if they have a raised lip at the top as most of the rims of the screw on type the rim edge fits over that lip and you then press it down round to line up the hole for the self tapper.

Stuart.

16 minutes ago, stuart said:

Have a look at your headlamp bowls and see if they have a raised lip at the top as most of the rims of the screw on type the rim edge fits over that lip and you then press it down round to line up the hole for the self tapper.

Stuart.

I will check that today. I did try pushing it back behind the bowl at the top and pulling it down to locate the screw but it kept popping off at the top. I have no idea whether or not my bowls and retainers are OE though

A

Andy,

I feel a bit bad now recommending them…

I have used them on my 3A and, as Stuart says, they clip over the rim at the top.

In this photo you can see the small bent up bits on the bowl.

Charlie

HeadlampBowl.JPG

21 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Andy,

I feel a bit bad now recommending them…

I have used them on my 3A and, as Stuart says, they clip over the rim at the top.

In this photo you can see the small bent up bits on the bowl.

Charlie

HeadlampBowl.JPG

Don't feel bad. They will take them back if necessary. Mine seem to have these tabs but difficult to see in pics. This is a close up from outside. They seem to be compressed against the rubber gasket. Sorry about the focus. I will try to locate the rims over them but do not wish to damage the new rims. Perhaps I should slacken off the screws?

Andy

IMG_4318.thumb.JPG.f8098d1a7db2ca7b3ef4c2e0b511c0f2.JPG

1 hour ago, Ocheye said:

Don't feel bad. They will take them back if necessary. Mine seem to have these tabs but difficult to see in pics. This is a close up from outside. They seem to be compressed against the rubber gasket. Sorry about the focus. I will try to locate the rims over them but do not wish to damage the new rims. Perhaps I should slacken off the screws?

Andy

IMG_4318.thumb.JPG.f8098d1a7db2ca7b3ef4c2e0b511c0f2.JPG

Thats the lips I was on about, it seems that the backing rubbers are very thick as they dont normally squeeze up against the rim as much as that. Dont slack the screws off though.

Stuart.

They look compressed in the photo, Stuart but they aren't that bad. With the very slightly rolled edge to the rim it just won't locate

Andy