Surrey top side flaps

Hello folks,  I think I must have read every post on the topic of Surrey roofs, but can't remember seeing any mention of 2 side flaps.  In the TR4 and 4A official ST workshop manual, page 296, it states "When closing the door, ensure that the top edge of the cover shown held in Fig.40 is to the outside, and the backing strip to the inside of the window in the raised position."  Fig. 40 clearly shows an inner flap (the one with the elasticated hooks at each end) and an outer flap which looks as if it is longer than the inner and extends onto the screen pillar.  The rearmost end is not shown.  I have never seen a top with this arrangement, but in terms of  superior weatherproofing, over the inner flap only, it makes sense to me.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  Does anyone have such a top? I'm thinking of adding an external flap myself, but if one is available, I may be persuaded to prise open my wallet.

16 hours ago, MikeyB1 said:

Hello folks,  I think I must have read every post on the topic of Surrey roofs, but can't remember seeing any mention of 2 side flaps.  In the TR4 and 4A official ST workshop manual, page 296, it states "When closing the door, ensure that the top edge of the cover shown held in Fig.40 is to the outside, and the backing strip to the inside of the window in the raised position."  Fig. 40 clearly shows an inner flap (the one with the elasticated hooks at each end) and an outer flap which looks as if it is longer than the inner and extends onto the screen pillar.  The rearmost end is not shown.  I have never seen a top with this arrangement, but in terms of  superior weatherproofing, over the inner flap only, it makes sense to me.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  Does anyone have such a top? I'm thinking of adding an external flap myself, but if one is available, I may be persuaded to prise open my wallet.

Your over thinking it, that outer part is just the edge of the guttering  on the roof it cant overlap the glass or you would never be able to open the door without winding the window down.

Stuart.

RIMG0048.thumb.JPG.3f3f03a923b32fbd87159c4646f5fc7a.JPG

I appreciate what you're saying  Stuart, and about having to wind the window down first, but if the picture attached is clear enough, then you can see both the "gutter", the inner flap, and the hand holding up another flap.  Well, that's what I interpret it as.  Mike.

20200430_164932.jpg

Yes thats as I have stated the material just below the outer guttering section, its not another flap,  those w/shop manual pictures have been heavily re-touched to more easily illustrate a point. Here`s another picture for you.

Stuart.

TR25.JPG

After studying my roof, your picture and the W'shop manual a lot more closely, I have to agree with you Stuart.  Unfortunately, my roof still needs some work.  The inner flaps are both much too short, there being at least an inch gap between the A and B post seals and the ends of the flap,  Consequently this leads to some drips, so it's out with the vinyl and sewing machine.  Cheers. Thanks a lot, Mike.

Tip: If TR parked outside and you know/ think its going to rain, unclip the catches for the INNER flap, and 'flap' them outside, over the glass

Wind and or heavy rain can force water into the cabin, this parking  mod will help keep 99% of it outside the car  <_<

That's a damn good tip.  Should have known someone with a name like Mike would come up with a good suggestion.  Cheers.  Mike.