TR4A telescopic boot stay rod

Hi Troops - I am putting together a parts list for 1967 TR4A.   She's having various bodywork repairs and respray. As you can see from attached photo there is a kink which I don't believe should be there and I can't find the bracket in Rimmer (page 225).   Is it a bracket that has been 'made up' for some reason or have you all got one?   The telescopic stay works perfectly well at the moment, wondering if its one of those 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' moments  :unsure:

Also needing a propshaft tunnel cover, guess fibreglass would be better this time?   Is it worth investing in an underfelt kit for the carpets too?

Your advice is always appreciated.

Many Thanks

Christine

telescopic stay.JPG

I think the bracket is meant to be like that, I maybe wrong and underfelt is good as long as your car is waterproof. You could also try dynomat to reduce the noise and vibration.

Bracket looks a tad twisted to me, but I haven't got one to compare as I hate those boot stays and removed mine, bracket and all. As you say, if it ain't broke...

GRP prop tunnel is good. Get the split version (two parts) which is easier to fit & remove. Make sure you take the access cover panels off your cardboard one and refit.

I don't think underfelt is a good investment, although some over the prop tunnel is worthwhile. Trouble is it holds water so if you get caught out in the rain it well stay soggy for months - unless you enjoy taking the interior to pieces to dry it out. It's a convertible, so it will be wind noise not road noise which is all part of the fun.

Jerry

The bracket in 4VC is like that in John's car - I'm afraid Christine's is definitely bent!

Because 4VC has an alloy boot lid without a frame, it's exceedingly floppy, so, in 1969, I fabricated a mirror-image bracket for the other side and purchased two of the props. 

In order not to carve big mounting holes in the lid, I used a piece of alloy sheet to span the inside of the lid, turned up at each end to provide the mountings for the props.  I screwed the bracket to the lid with a pair of small (BA probably) screws into the downturn on the lid at each side - crude but simple and it's worked for 50 years!

Ian Cornish

H All - thanks so much for all your advice, so helps to get others points of view.  John and Stuart - the stay photos are a great help to see how it should be, will show my engineer.  Noted points about wet underlay, watched the video on dynamat, looks a good product but I need to priortise my jobs list.  Good point Gerry - will investigate what you mean about access panels, one of the first jobs I did on my own was fix my bouncing speedo, I remember reading up why it bounced and possibly needing access through the prop tunnel to the angle drive but it turned out to be the cable had rounded and I just needed to feed in the new one - phew. 
I really appreciate all your time.  Conrad - will pm you. 

stay well everyone

Christine