TR4a clutch slave cylinder return spring

Folks, It is my understanding that unlike the TR4, the TR4a did not use a return spring for the clutch slave cylinder. The Stanpart catalogue doesn’t show one, and my car doesn’t have one (albeit my car has a TR6 transmission). So is the consensus that this TR4a “no spring” design is ok,  or like the change to the handbrake, the TR4 design was better, 

thanks

Jim

I believe the removal of the return spring was coincident with the change to a diaphragm clutch. I think the logic was that it was better the wear out the release bearing by keeping it spinning with the clutch than to wear out the fingers of the clutch by offering a stationary release bearing up to a spinning clutch every time you press the pedal.

I guess the jury is out on which is best. personally I retained the spring when I upgraded to a diaphragm clutch.

Bob.

Hi Alf,

without the spring the slave becomes self adjusting.

As Bob says it may be that it keeps the release bearing spinning. They are designed to spin for many 1000's hours. .

However if you go this route you do need the little pin in the release bearing carrier to stop the carrier spinning - it could start to squeak :o

I have stuck with the spring on my 4A. 

Roger

Hi Jim,

there are 2 different ways how it works on any car or motorbike:

the mechanism has a return spring to lift the release bearing away from the clutch assembly,

so the bearing stops spinning, for this you need a gap in the push rod way and you have an empty way when you step on the pedal,

OR

the mechanism has a spring that pulls or pushes the release bearing always with some force on the clutch assembly to keep it always spinning.

On the TR4A I don't know such a spring, at the TR6 it is in the slave cylinder (perhaps too weak), at the "Gunst" bearing it is outside the opposite way as on the TR2-4.

In my opinion it is no good idea to have no spring at all, the bearing has definitely not to spin or definitely it has to spin pressed on the clutch with sone force.

On my 4A I always had it not spinning with a return spring.

Ciao, Marco

When my TR4 was re-built in the early 1990s, Neil advised that a TR6 diaphragm clutch be fitted in place of the incredibly heavy competition clutch, which was always a real killer at traffic lights even when I was in my 30s.  Neil retained the return spring (which suggests to me that he thinks it's a good idea whatever type of clutch is fitted) and the car has been running its diaphragm clutch like that since 1993.

Ian Cornish

I have had two springs either brake or drop off on my TR3 over the years. The first sign of failure is loads of really horrible metal to metal crunching sounds if the clutch pedal is pushed to the floor and it is difficult to change gear. To change gear and avoid horrible sounds, until I could replace the spring, only needed 50% travel on the pedal. I now carry a spare spring. I changed the last one in the queue for a cross channel ferry. 

Mick