Roger H mentions above some who have had the glass made to their particular opening, which, as one who also has oddly fitting glass (poor, very poor, fit against the fabric Surrey but pretty good at both front and back frames) I would like to know more about- has anyone within earshot done this and might the cost be comparable to a new, bought-in one I wonder?

Any info would be appreciated by many I guess....

James

Had a friend who chopped a mini and had the glass cut down by a local Glazier..might be an option if it mostly fits?

Nigel H

14 hours ago, NigelH said:

Had a friend who chopped a mini and had the glass cut down by a local Glazier..might be an option if it mostly fits?

Nigel H

You cant as far as I know get toughened glass cut down, laminated can be cut but you dont really want that for side windows.

Stuart.

Thats as maybe but none of the glass people down here would do it as I have asked before now.

Stuart.

Finally got round to finishing the job. Thanks Nigel, I did the same as you, so all lines up pretty well now. I had two other problems, one was getting hold of another drivers door window channel, mine was rusted, got one but as rare as hens teeth. (But if in need, Revington TR sell a channel section you can weld onto your own once you’ve ground off the existing section). The other problem was the first crank arm attached to the winding mechanism was fouling the window channel when going up and down. The Birmingham screwdriver was the answer to that too!

I can safely say that I now have an intimate knowledge of the inside of a TR door!

Nick

Me too..I was half way through and couldn't get the clips off the channel..several people came to the rescue on the forum. As some more learned forum members have said, the alignment in the side channels that guide the glass will also affect the movements and hence the forces needed, so might be worth checking the glass runs free and is supported so it doesn't twist.

The forum is a great reference, I've searched subjects and referenced posts from 11 years ago..It will be good to meet up with other members in the not too distant future..

Nigel

Ah well I thought I’d finished the job...The winder mechanism now makes a rachety noise (click, click, click) as it goes round. I may have compromised it when I bent the crank arm attached to it. Anyone have any ideas to make it smooth again,  or are they not repairable and therefore I have to get another regulator? If so are the new ones a better bet than an original second hand one?

Thanks again

20 hours ago, Nick Brooks said:

Ah well I thought I’d finished the job...The winder mechanism now makes a rachety noise (click, click, click) as it goes round. I may have compromised it when I bent the crank arm attached to it. Anyone have any ideas to make it smooth again,  or are they not repairable and therefore I have to get another regulator? If so are the new ones a better bet than an original second hand one?

Thanks again

Sounds as if the regulator has gone out of mesh, it maybe fixable, the new ones are Ok though some are a bit slack in the joints and the winder stub is a little shorter so yo may need to delete the spring behind the trim to be able to get the pin for the handle in..

Stuart.

Your still going to have to take it out to find out whats happened to it though.

Stuart.

Hi, Hope you don't mind a 5 owner joining in but I've got similar problems. Firstly the windscreen rake angle was mentioned, can the bracket bolts (3 each side) be accessed without taking the car to bits. The reason for the rake adjustment is to make my Surrey hard to bolts fit better. 

Secondly my drivers door window isn't too badly aligned with the frames fore and aft but it only touches the rubber draft strip at the bottom and leaves a gap at the top. Try as I may I can't seem to get it right, any ideas please.

Thanks   Rob.