You can adjust the limit of upper travel but adjusting the rake of the glass is more of a problem.  There’s not really enough slack in the regulator fixings nor the forward and rear channels to make a lot of difference.  RogerH resorted to cutting and rewelding the  regulator mechanism. You could try repositioning the glass in the channel that holds it to the regulator but adjustment is limited and if the glass pops out of the channel in use it’s annoying.  If the rear of the glass is in alignment you might have more success trying to realign the windscreen rake. 

Edited by peejay4A

As Peter points out if the rar of the glass is in a good position already then tilting it isn't really the way to go.

(very) Small adjustment can be obtained on the regulator fixing. 

Also make sure that you have a TR4/4A glass and not a TR6 glass as this has a different angle on the bottom edge and will tilt it forward.

If you need to move the front screen forward then make sure that your roof will fit afterwards. 

I cut and re positioned the arms on the regulator  ( hacksaw cut 90% through one of the arms and then lock in place with a spot of weld.

If you tilt it too far then the glass can become stiff in the vertical channels  (apply the above weld when you are happy with the position.

A long while back one owner had the glass either remade or cut to shape by a glass supplier.  Thios could be the ideal answer.

Roger

Thanks guys for your advice and thoughts on this. The back of the glass aligns with the surrey top fine, but the front is a different angle to the windscreen. I notice too that the glass is not horizontal in the holding channel but up at the back presumably to get the rear alignment. All very strange! On a slightly separate note, were there different door pressings for TR4, 4A and 5s? My car has had a replacement drivers door when rebuilt decades ago, and seems to have a stubbier ‘coke bottle shoulder’ than the original on the passenger side. I’ve often thought that it might be a later door? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks, Nick

Hi Nick,

the TR4 to TR6 use the same skin panel (door lock key hole is different)

The rear end of the door , where the lock mechanism works, is different between the TR4/4A and TR5/6

However the overall shape and size is the same.

Sometimes the skins on either the door or wing are worked on to get some sort of alignment etc.

Roger

At a guess you have TR5/6 glass as up until only about 6yrs ago that was all that was available. Pictures below arent very clear but do illustrate the differences between the glass on top is a TR6 one.

Stuart.

IMG_4549 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4551 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4553 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4555 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4557 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4559 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4561 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4562 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4563 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4564 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4565 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4566 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4567 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4568 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4569 - Copy.JPG

IMG_4570 - Copy.JPG

Hi Nick.

i was having the same problem on the driver side door, but have traced it to a bent arm on the door regulator..(from forum discussions and confirmed when i dropped the door panel off.)

The window is reasonably aligned(slopes forward slightly) at the surrey seal, but is touching the screen pillar about 3/4" from the top..when fully wound up.It winds up and down very freely, but is clearly low at the front.

One of the forum team had posted this dimn sketch of the two windows TR6 and 4, might help with your investigation

Nigel.H

TR4 Window Glass 2- TR4:4A Forum - TR Register Forum.webarchive

11 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Interested to know the reason why they were made differently.

Due to the change in the winder mechanism.

Stuart.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your Comments and thoughts on this. Sorry I’m back on this now, too much gardening, not enough TRing during the week!

Thanks Roger with your confirmation about door sizes; Stuart for taking the trouble to take so many pics of the glass; and Nigel for your experience of a bent regulator arm.

I’m pretty certain now that it is the correct TR4 glass. Whoever put it in has canted the front slightly up in the carrier, which allows the rear of the glass next to the surrey top to have an equal gap all the way up. However at the front at the windscreen the gap is 1cm at the top and 2cm at the bottom. Very odd. Perhaps I have a bent regulator arm? What am I looking for Nigel, which arm is it and how is it bent?

Thanks again, Nick

Hi Nick,

I have to say I've gained this knowledge from the more experienced people on the forum. I also finding myself with a bit more time on my hands, reading about problems and issues on the forum that I don't even have (yet) ! But I do have this one.:D

When you open the panel up on the door, with the window fully raised, you'll see the regulator arms. The one that's bent on mine is the one that supports the front half of the window.

It runs diagonally upwards towards the front end of the door and is attached to the window carrier with a spring clip. I put a straight edge on it (as best i could down its length) and its bent by 8mm or so downwards at its very end where it secures to the window channel.

Ive tried to straighten in situ, but will need to take it out.

There are many useful posts on the forum on how people have corrected the problem, I'm going to cut partially through with a thin blade and weld back up. I reckon a 1mm correction at the pivot end will give me 8-10 at the very end with the ratio of lengths involved. Might need to adjust the 'up' stops then, I'll see..

Im going to have a go a on saturday, had planned to do it yesterday, but, fixed an oil leak on the diff instead (hopefully). The carbon footprint on my TR was more of a pattern of little black circles.:lol:

I'll let you know how it goes.

Nigel.

Nick,

You probably have to remount the glass in its carrier, if you find the regulator arm is bent and decide to correct that.

Nigel

Hi Nick

If you search 'Triumph TR4 window regulator' on youtube there is a good video on exactly this subject..seems he was able to correct the issue without dismantling everything, but, the door was off the car..

Nigel.

For those after the details and possibly the correct glass, I received this last week in the Revington April Newsletter.

TR4 /4A Door glass

2056071629_Windowglass.jpg.bd768326fd34e31f18e05056d5c6f249.jpg

This part is made exclusively for us at Revington and is correct to the original TR4-4A profile. Although the TR5-6 glass has a similar profile above the door and often used as a replacement, it has a different profile at the base and if used the glass is tipped by 10 degrees and never fits the windscreen or hood/roof.
We are currently out of stock of this part and are considering the large investment into the minimum order of glass required. In this economic climate we would welcome pre-orders.
Should you wish to discuss pre-ordering the correct replacement glass, please call us or email us.

No association, just passing on the info I received.

Iain

Edited by iain
To make clear

Moss have been supplying the correct ones for some time and have them in stock, its what I now have in mine. They also have them in stock.

Stuart.

Hello Nick.

Ive removed the window regulator and corrected it.

I took a picture of the extent the arm was bent from top to bottom pic 1

Managed to do this in a vice with spacers to hold everything in the right position, then applied the brummy screwdriver (big hammer) to knock the arm straight..

I marked the window at fully up position, and photographed after arm was straightened.. it lifted 30 mm (pic 3) at the front and 4 mm (pic 2) at the rear, played with end stop to get a good height position..

alignment with windscreen is perfect..pic 4.

Took an hour and a half in all..

Nigel.

IMG_2188.jpg

IMG_2200.jpg

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

Ive realised the surrey top is 1/4" further back on the driver side, so, with that adjusted..(checking hard top still fits ok) seal at rear vertical of window will be as good as passenger side.

one more item off the list..:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

My windows have never fitted the screen angle.

At the International a few years ago I bought some TR4/TR4a replacements in better condition with a view to replacing them when time permitted but I noted that they were to the same shape.

One member earlier showed a diagram with TR6 and TR4 patterns and guess what they are for a TR6!

B....!

Regards

David