Hi all,

This is the exhaust that's been on my 4A since I've owned it, and probably much longer. Can anyone identify it?  The single pipe is 2" bore (larger than standard?), there's a small box in front of the back box, which has twin 2 1/2" tail pipes.

My problem is that although it looks cool and sounds nice, it's just too loud for comfortable cruising. I'm wondering if I can just replace the back box without going to the expense of a complete new system. Any ideas?

PS it also grounds frequently, which is why it's hanging wonky....

Thanks, Brian

Exhaust.jpg

Looks to me that the rear muffler is too close to the rear valance.

I would fit a new larger flat muffler in place of the existing two so that only the exit pipe is close to the valance for better road clearance.

6 minutes ago, Mark1965TR4aBRG said:

TRGB 11.JPG

I have the same with a slightly different mounting, though as I have a solid axle 4a I have plenty of ground clearance.

Stuart.

IMG_0009_1200x880 - Copy.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 2:07 PM, Brian Eldred said:

Thanks Mark. What bore is the inlet pipe?

Good question Brian, but I don't know and the car's not here for me to measure.  It's the Big Bore sports system & sounds great!

I have ground it a few times when on tour, loaded up with co driver and not sparing the ponies...  If you tuck it up out the way neatly you have to try to ground it.

I don't think mine's as upswept as Stuart's but I'll look for a side shot.

I'd highly recommend the whole Phoenix system.

1 hour ago, Mark1965TR4aBRG said:

..maybe it's Stuart's bumperless rear end that makes it look different..

Possibly, I have now got the bumpers back on but no pictures Im afraid. Another side view here.

Stuart.

Looe-1 - Copy.jpg

The Phoenix systems seem very  popular (but pricey). What's the noise level like at cruising speed (say 60 -70) with the big bore sports system?

I've not managed to find anything of the same dimensions as my current back box, so I might have to bite the bullet and replace the complete system. I know it's probably been covered before, but are there many advantages of a big bore system over standard bore on a standard engine ? And what size is standard bore anyway?

Thanks, Brian

7 minutes ago, Brian Eldred said:

The Phoenix systems seem very  popular (but pricey). What's the noise level like at cruising speed (say 60 -70) with the big bore sports system?

I've not managed to find anything of the same dimensions as my current back box, so I might have to bite the bullet and replace the complete system. I know it's probably been covered before, but are there many advantages of a big bore system over standard bore on a standard engine ? And what size is standard bore anyway?

Thanks, Brian

Loud, would be an apt description. I have it on my Tr5 and it sounds great at speed. People know when you have overtaken them. I have a fast road cam and at idle it sounds spitty, but 2500rpm and above wow.

Paul

17 hours ago, Brian Eldred said:

Thanks, Brian

Depending on how buried my right foot is it's either the twin Webers or the Phoenix I hear the most, but typically is a combination of them both.

The full system sounds great!

Hi Brian, if your thinking of  Continental motorway touring say 2-4 hour stints then I would not go for a Phoenix system.  I tried one and found it much too loud for longer journeys as was my original Moss single pipe single silencer sports system. What I ended up with and have been using for over 10 years now is, standard twin front downpipe, then stainless single pipe to SS standard rear TR 250 crossbox which has twin tailpipes. It is more free flow than standard single tailpipe crossbox and although it has a crisp note if you floor it, it is very quiet cruising at 60-75.

Chris

40 minutes ago, ChrisR-4A said:

Hi Brian, if your thinking of  Continental motorway touring say 2-4 hour stints then I would not go for a Phoenix system.  I tried one and found it much too loud for longer journeys as was my original Moss single pipe single silencer sports system. What I ended up with and have been using for over 10 years now is, standard twin front downpipe, then stainless single pipe to SS standard rear TR 250 crossbox which has twin tailpipes. It is more free flow than standard single tailpipe crossbox and although it has a crisp note if you floor it, it is very quiet cruising at 60-75.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that sounds like a good solution. We did a 1700 mile trip to France last year and that's when I decided I needed less noise! Not been anywhere this year of course :-((