Surrey Hardtop headlining

Hello

I am fitting a new headlining kit to my TR4A Hardtop for the Surrey. The old one has fell to pieces and came off easily.

I am looking for some help/ advice and how to fit the new one, is there a particular way to fit it, greeting the tension in. I have loosely fitted the new item to the roof so I know how it all fits together. Any comments or help would be appreciated

thanks

Gareth

Start at the front with the front rod under the two sprung prongs and pull it forward to tension and glue the front end then once thats glued properly then you can work your way backwards engaging the bars as you go back but keeping the tension on until you can finally glue the rear on then tension out wards and glue the sides down. You do need a good glue like the Dunlop one from Woolies trim. once you have it glued in you can then trim the waste edges and fit the front and rear rubbers and the furflex.

Stuart.

Dont go anywhere near it with an iron, lay it out flat under a mattress for a week or so in a warm room should do it.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi,

I had some light creases in mine and used a hair dryer (on lowest heat) during fitting. But, you need to be very careful not to overheat and stretch the material. I held it about 12-15 inches away..moving side to side quickly so trying not to concentrate heat..

Used same method on car seats in the past..

Don't use a paint stripper gun..it will be way too hot.

Nigel H.

Stuart

Thanks to all who posted - it's been very helpful. I have now fitted up the rails into the new headliner and had a dry run but can I check a couple of things

Stuart - just a question on the front rail- you say to put the rail under the sprung springs so if I am looking from the front they would sit on the roof and would behind the curled lip and then be pulled against the lip as you tension the front headliner and glue it or do they sit on the sprong itself and inside that lip which seems to the right fit for the rail

How do you clamp the rear when I get that far or do you rely on the glue. I can clamp the front but not the rear

another question on the rear foam rubber seal. On mine this seal was so badly damaged, I cannot recognise the section design. The new one I have has a definite section  with a lip on it so must go on a certain way.Any suggestions or I will just choose what seems probable

Gareth

3 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Stuart

Thanks to all who posted - it's been very helpful. I have now fitted up the rails into the new headliner and had a dry run but can I check a couple of things

Stuart - just a question on the front rail- you say to put the rail under the sprung springs so if I am looking from the front they would sit on the roof and would behind the curled lip and then be pulled against the lip as you tension the front headliner and glue it or do they sit on the sprong itself and inside that lip which seems to the right fit for the rail

How do you clamp the rear when I get that far or do you rely on the glue. I can clamp the front but not the rear

another question on the rear foam rubber seal. On mine this seal was so badly damaged, I cannot recognise the section design. The new one I have has a definite section  with a lip on it so must go on a certain way.Any suggestions or I will just choose what seems probable

Gareth

They go behind the curled lip so your pulling against the sprung steel prong. If you use a strong contact glue then you dont need to clamp anything as once its got it its got it for good. I use this stuff. https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1263/heat-resistant-adhesive

The rear seal goes like below picture.

Stuart.

Surrey roof 006 - Copy.jpg

photo0967.jpg