Lockdown curiosity

Hi Folks,

during this isolation due to the plague I have been sorting things on the 4A.

Dash top, grab handle, behind the dash leccy wires,  etc etc. these were self imposed pains but yesterday I leapt into the unknown.

I was chatting to a chum and mentioned that the off side sill needed looking at. It is the area coincident with the front and rear wings. the middle section is sound.

Within the hour I had the rear wing off even though I had no intention of doing the job for a while (a long while). This revealed a disturbing but expected sight.

Rust.  Every TR has rust  and a fair chunk of the stuff had gathered around in the area of the drivers seat belt attachment on the 'B' post.

About three years ago the MOT man spotted the rust and failed the car. I did a reasonable fix from on top (inside the car) and it subsequently passed the MOT.

However from underneath and better access it looked like a dogs breakfast.   Time to call in Angle Grinder Man (that's me)

So remove about 3" x 5" of the rear wheel arch front lower end. Cut out a lump of floor - 5 x 2.  And remove the bottom of the 'B; post. It had rotted badly where oit attaches to the floor.

I could put on a piece of double glazing and have another window. Or tomorrow I'll start the process of making proper patches to bring it almost back to normal.

After that the rear end of the sill will need playing with.

Roger

You know you enjoy it Roger, you wouldn't have it any other way

• 1 month later...

Develop it did.

This lunchtime the car finally rolled off the ramps.

So I ended up replacing the dash top pad, righthand knee pad, re-covering the grab handle, sorting out/tidying the wiring behind the dash. make a new manogamy centre console :)

The offside rear corner of the floor pan, bottom of wheel arch, back end of the sill all rust cut away and new metal welded back in.

The offside front corner of the floor pan, front end of the sill, bottom of the wing - a;; rust cut away and new metal welded in.

The front wing also got a respray.

This afternoon the GB will be removed so that I can try and cure an oil leak at the GB/Od adaptor plate.

With the GB out I will remove the heater. Flush the matrix and install a new fan - AndyR100's thread

This covid has  a liot to answer for.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
3 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Develop it did.

This lunchtime the car finally rolled off the ramps.

So I ended up replacing the dash top pad, righthand knee pad, re-covering the grab handle, sorting out/tidying the wiring behind the dash. make a new manogamy centre console :)

The offside rear corner of the floor pan, bottom of wheel arch, back end of the sill all rust cut away and new metal welded back in.

The offside front corner of the floor pan, front end of the sill, bottom of the wing - a;; rust cut away and new metal welded in.

The front wing also got a respray.

This afternoon the GB will be removed so that I can try and cure an oil leak at the GB/Od adaptor plate.

With the GB out I will remove the heater. Flush the matrix and install a new fan - AndyR100's thread

This covid has  a liot to answer for.

Roger

That's not far off what some classic car dealers would describe as a "body-off, nut-and-bolt full restoration".

N

3 minutes ago, Bleednipple said:

That's not far off what some classic car dealers would describe as a "body-off, nut-and-bolt full restoration".

N

I lent my hand to nearly all trades in doing the above.

Roger

1 hour ago, brenda said:

Afternoon all, Roger as you have finished your car, this popped up on another site I am on I think he my need a little help.

Mike Redrose Group 

25ABB437-AE70-474E-8316-D96E5B85FED5.jpeg

30E5FEEB-D439-4F3B-A2B3-B078CB1F0003.jpeg

Not the best way to do that then :o

Stuart.

He has also fitted a large baking tin inside the door to hide the wiring and Lucas bits and pieces. HeS ruined a good meat/baking tin.

2EBE606E-44F7-4480-96F0-C1F1CBDB68E4.png

Edited by SuzanneH

Be fair Sue...... most of the stuff Lucas used to make needs hiding!

Go and bake him a cake and appreciate how lucky you are to be with such a thoughtful guy................. Oh!................ maybe a cup of tea instead would be nice?

7 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Be fair Sue...... most of the stuff Lucas used to make needs hiding!

Go and bake him a cake and appreciate how lucky you are to be with such a thoughtful guy................. Oh!................ maybe a cup of tea instead would be nice?

Lucas stuff is 50 years old and still going strong, it’s only a tradition to criticise The Prince of Darkness!

i think you may have the wrong end of the stick about, the baking tin and some guy being thoughtful, the car is nothing to do with us. It’s a TR6 or was, this chap also has an MG and a TR4, he is working on all three simultaneously.

Edited by SuzanneH

Oh........................ Not like me to not read properly and get wrong end of stick..:huh: ........ First time for everything.......?

Probably just as well to know Roger didn’t learn that when he used to stick planes back together.......... 

You would never believe (some on here would know) how Jaguar built the XJS with something uncannily similar inside the front wing

11 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Tony,

the same repair I did on the offside was rocket science compared to that tin can lash up.

Roger

Morning Roger,

Oh my gosh............ I blundered in trying to defend you from the indefensible!......

Thought this was how you were testing if you actually had gone bonkers......... and next trip after it was all boxed-off would be up to a Castle in the NE........

Let’s all move on now........ before I have to apologise and or resign...:angry:

Hi Folks,

the GB was out this afternoon and quickly split from the OD with no fuss.

Thankfully the adaptor is not cracked.

The only oddity that I can find is that the gasket  easily peeled away from the lower edge of both the OD body and the adaptor plate. 

Whereas on the other three faces the gasket ripped off and left 100% covering on the machined surfaces.

Could it have simply been badly sealed ( with WelSeal) and that capillary action pulled the oil through.  I don;t know.

I'll put the new gasket back with WelSeal as it usually works well.

Roger

Hi Folks,

I could find no distortion on the adaptor plate.

The OD & GB are now back together.

The inside of the bellhousing was drenched in black oil  :o.  Something amiss with the fancy rear crank seal me thinks.

So, off with the flywheel and lets see what is going on 

Roger

Are you sure its coming from there and not the front of the box?

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

at the moment I'm not sure of anything :blink:

The front seal on the GB input shaft isn't that old.  However the oily mesh was very black - suggesting engine oil

There was a significant circumferential spray pattern around the bell housing. I can't see a leak from the front of the GB doing that.

I have felt the front face of the flywheel and it is reasonably dry. I inserted a boroscope to look at the rear crank seal area and that looks clean and dry.

I'll keep looking. Something will appear.

Roger

Check the cam rear core plug then as Ive seen instances of them leaking. FWIW the action of the flywheel will create enough of a vortex to spray a gearbox leak round the bell housing too.

Stuart.