Lock down keeping busy

Now one persons 'patina of use' is another looking a bit tatty. .........................Our house is situated on the back of a hill so we have some reasonable views.  I built a 'veranda' for want of a better description on the back of the house to take advantage of the view. Nothing posh but just somewhere you could sit and have a coffee on a nice day after work.

Now i felt it had that 'patina of use' my wife however felt it was tatty. So with lockdown underway I repainted  it and re oiled the decking. This activity became the catalyst for renewed focus on said veranda and focus next fell on a large privet bush that was, I was told blocking the sun from  the veranda. Now this privet bush was 8 ft tall 50 years old and growing in a 2ft x 2ft brick built planter that forms part of the veranda, removing it took a whole day as I didn't want to break the brickwork up. Once said bush was removed I was then informed that the veranda was now to hot and sunny :unsure: so I then purchased  a 'Sun Sail' and whilst my wife was out as work, I put it up, as a 'surprise' for her only to be informed on her return from work that the sun sail was the wrong colour.

I wish I hadn't painted that veranda..........................:ph34r:.

Stay well all 

Edited by Graham
21 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Time for photo's!

John.

17 minutes ago, Hamish said:

FFEC3423-44FE-4B55-A799-8223256754EC.jpeg

OK here's the veranda with sun sail that doesn't match the cushions, the planter is just in front of the BBQ gas bottle and the view is below

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Can’t see where you went wrong Graham. 

perhaps a grass track TR3 on the lawn ?

very lovely setting. 

6 hours ago, Hamish said:

FFEC3423-44FE-4B55-A799-8223256754EC.jpeg

Which forum did you borrow this from Hamish?

6 hours ago, Graham said:

OK here's the veranda with sun sail that doesn't match the cushions, the planter is just in front of the BBQ gas bottle and the view is below

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

Graham

How on earth did you ever think that the colour would be suitable?

You're a chap, for crying out loud, even the right colour would have been the wrong colour, it's just not worth the grief :(

1 hour ago, wjgco said:

Which forum did you borrow this from Hamish?

Had that saved for ages. 
May have been from UKGSER

the BMW GS motorcycle group ?

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

Had that saved for ages. 
May have been from UKGSER

the BMW GS motorcycle group ?

Seen an animated version used a lot on MB Club UK

22 hours ago, Graham said:

Now one persons 'patina of use' is another looking a bit tatty. .........................Our house is situated on the back of a hill so we have some reasonable views.  I built a 'veranda' for want of a better description on the back of the house to take advantage of the view. Nothing posh but just somewhere you could sit and have a coffee on a nice day after work.

Now i felt it had that 'patina of use' my wife however felt it was tatty. So with lockdown underway I repainted  it and re oiled the decking. This activity became the catalyst for renewed focus on said veranda and focus next fell on a large privet bush that was, I was told blocking the sun from  the veranda. Now this privet bush was 8 ft tall 50 years old and growing in a 2ft x 2ft brick built planter that forms part of the veranda, removing it took a whole day as I didn't want to break the brickwork up. Once said bush was removed I was then informed that the veranda was now to hot and sunny :unsure: so I then purchased  a 'Sun Sail' and whilst my wife was out as work, I put it up, as a 'surprise' for her only to be informed on her return from work that the sun sail was the wrong colour.

I wish I hadn't painted that veranda..........................:ph34r:.

Stay well all 

Well you see you did it all wrong!! It would have been less grief to leave the privet were it was and move the veranda a bit to the left.

(cracking view)

Paul

2 hours ago, Rodbr said:

Hi Derek,

Methinks you need to get some woodstain on those Legs.

Im going out to fire up the hot tub for tonight. 1800 litres takes a lot of heating!!!!!!

Hi Rodbr 

I accept improvement is necessary and not just the legs. The decking has been down for 10 years and it was a case of power washing allowing it to dry and oiling or ripping up and replacing the lots with composite. The later is the preferred choice (wife), but I’ll just enjoy it for now and rely on the sun to tan the legs.

Hi Derek,

I was referring to the legs in slippers. casting no aspersions at all. looks similar to mine but the view is over the dry stane dyke. Still slows down the afternoon wind a bit.

Seriously I would not use composite as is becomes slippier than a slippy thing. I used 900mm square x 1" slates for my patio veranda, difficult to keep clean with two large black labs and a barbeque on the go and a hot tub.

I would pressure wash allow to dry and treat with Ducksback. Wood is far superior and with age comes patina, often called shabby chique.

Rod