Mirror mirror on the door, which is the fairest of you all..

Hi all

Living in Denmark and being able to clearly see to your right - when turning right is a must else you may hit a cyclist who is regarded as a saint over here no matter if they have lights on, are talking on mobiles etc and after a recent scare with my bullet mirrors which look nice but are of no use I have to replace them with something that works!

Do you chaps think this mirror from tex fits for a CC 1970 (both left and right)??

M68991.jpg

https://www.motoringclassics.co.uk/classic-car-parts/mirrors/door-mirror

I've have those Tex mirrors on both doors of my CP series '6. They look close to original, fit easily and give a decent field of view. Some of the round mirrors e.g. bullet style give a very restricted view.

To find the correct location, ask someone to help you get the right position for the passenger side mirror first then mount the driver's mirror to match.

Nigel

That is exactly what I have on my TR6 and are far far better than the bullet type

Holland has the same attitude towards cyclists which is probably a good thing but the cyclists do not help themselves, you often see someone on a bike with a big dog on a lead trotting along next to the bike all while the cyclist eyes are glued to his phone. 

George 

Edited by harlequin

Hello Aarhus,

I have them on my ‘72 TR6 and reckon they are about as good as you can get without putting something much more modern on. I find driving the TR much more of an intense experience anyway because it’s simply not a modern car and you have to be much more alert to what is happening around you and as a consequence driving is a more physical activity. 

Paul

1 hour ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi all

Living in Denmark and being able to clearly see to your right - when turning right is a must else you may hit a cyclist who is regarded as a saint over here no matter if they have lights on, are talking on mobiles etc and after a recent scare with my bullet mirrors which look nice but are of no use I have to replace them with something that works!

Do you chaps think this mirror from tex fits for a CC 1970 (both left and right)??

M68991.jpg

https://www.motoringclassics.co.uk/classic-car-parts/mirrors/door-mirror

Hi Aarhus,

They were never fitted to a TR6 in the 70's as standard. BL offered one of their own as an extra which had a longer arm on it. That type of TEX mirror  you show was fitted to BL's Morris Marina as I had one as a company car also with one on the passenger door as an extra, where the field of view was useless' especially if you do a lot of town driving. Also the field of view on the drivers side is not good. I know that they were fitted to MG B's of that era as an extra but having driven a B the same problem applies. I would look for something else? Because I think you will be disappointed! We will have to see what the forum view is?

Bruce

I swapped from the totally useless bullet mirrors to Tex mirrors and the difference is markedly better, both driver and passenger sides. The mirrors are available in chrome or black, safety first in my book, I like to see what is around me.
Ian

I have them on mine, I think they look right
51DC5253-35BD-47D6-93CD-A1DBF21EB4AE.thumb.jpeg.997c0150beaf0e12eabcd6e60fad0bf7.jpeg

I have them on mine, I think they look right

Have those Tex mirrors on my 4A, I'm not a fan of them but they do give a good view.

The plastic plinth is weak and as you tighten the mirror mounting screw in it cuts into it and this eventually breaks.

They shake quite badly on our rough roads so your view could be anything from one to four cyclists....

On my 6 I'm going to try what I think was a Stag mirror as there is only a plastic gasket/plinth between the body and mirror, and the fixings are from inside into the mirror base so hopefully it will not shake.

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-YKC2960SQUARE

Edited by jpmf
Link
11 hours ago, Paul Herts said:

You may know by brother who is living in Aarhus, he has a blue TR7 and is a cyclist!

Hi

Aarhus is a small city so will keep on the lookout for a Blue TR7!!

If you have a ~ 3/4" hole in the door you could consider the TR5/'69TR6 Wingard type mirror. These are available in stainless,  an excellent reproduction lacking only the lettering. Nothing bespeaks the period so well, at least among us who have them ^_^. Either handed apparently, some hogs have (2) on their cars! 

This is a real Wingard, chromed brass as some are vs. stainless for the rest.

Tom

IMA 68 TR ALBUM COMPLETE 040.jpg

Mine is also a real Wingard however in the style of the Tex and been fitted to my six since before I bought it in 1978. The stalk is slightly shorter than the Tex but works well for me. The US high back seats are a concession to my other half who won't go in the car unless fitted!

cheers

Derek

Wingard door mirror.JPG

Great pictures Gordon, could you see much out of them being wing mirrors? 

Also the number plate, are they white raised plastic digits? 

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
22 hours ago, Tom Fremont said:

If you have a ~ 3/4" hole in the door you could consider the TR5/'69TR6 Wingard type mirror. These are available in stainless,  an excellent reproduction lacking only the lettering. Nothing bespeaks the period so well, at least among us who have them ^_^. Either handed apparently, some hogs have (2) on their cars! 

This is a real Wingard, chromed brass as some are vs. stainless for the rest.

Tom

IMA 68 TR ALBUM COMPLETE 040.jpg

My TR5 has that style of mirror, on the drivers door only, when I bought it 23 years ago. Fine in the UK. I fitted one to the passenger door before my first trip to the Continent about a year later but have failed to get it adjusted correctly ever since. There just isn't enough rotation/tilt on the ball section. I've tried rotating the stalk in the door hole, I've tried the arm curved upwards and curved downwards. Makes no difference, can only see either sky or the hedges 10 feet away from the kerb, not what I want when I want to pull out on the Continent.

Car currently under full restoration with doors, like everything else, soda blasted and primed. Considering having the 3/4" dia holes welded up and fitting something more workable but also looking to maintain period look. So how do the Tex mirrors fix? 

Dave McD

On 4/27/2020 at 6:43 PM, TRTOM2498PI said:

Not one for the purists, but these Vitaloni mirrors are very effective, and look well on a 6, IMHO. Better suited with the right mods, but never the less a great mirror.

Mirrors1.jpg

Your words are what a leading TR restorer said about my MX5 mirrors fitted to my car! But added' you can certainly see what is around you with no blind spots'. I have to say that I have never seen your type of mirror here in the UK but looks to me to be a good alternative to mine.

Bruce