Chassis modification

Just been watching a video where a chap far more knowledgeable than I suggesting that as far as the front differential mounting bridge is concerned the 4a chassis is better because of the large reinforcing gusset that sits between the bridge and the chassis rails this was not fitted to the 5/6 chassis. 

so question is it worth/possible to retro fit one on a bare chassis ?

Edited by Graham

Hi Graham, 

Take a look at this gents video.   I think it’s a good video and shares my sentiments.  It goes into the differences of the various frames and their strengths and weaknesses. 

On my TR250 restoration,  I added structural steel bars to support the diff from rocking foreword and back...not everyone’s cup of tea but I thought I’d go ahead and try something different than my TR6 stock frame set up...

Cheers

Tush

7 hours ago, M. Pied Lourd said:

Hi Graham, 

Take a look at this gents video.   I think it’s a good video and shares my sentiments.  It goes into the differences of the various frames and their strengths and weaknesses. 

On my TR250 restoration,  I added structural steel bars to support the diff from rocking foreword and back...not everyone’s cup of tea but I thought I’d go ahead and try something different than my TR6 stock frame set up...

Cheers

Tush

Tush this is the video I was referring to and I had seen from your videos that you had also re enforced the front diff bridge so I was wondering if the gusset section from a 4A would provide some additional support. However the guy does make the point that its taken 50 years or so for these cars to sag, so if I get my 5 rebuilt straight by the time it sags again it won't be my problem ! :D

Edited by Graham

Best mod if you want is two bars between the two mounting bridges. Back when Rubery Owen stopped making chassis there was a few new ones made by a guy in Hertfordshire and they had this mod plus extra brackets on the spring bridge to take shock in spring conversions properly not the flimsy kits offered these days.

Stuart.

1430446809_jeffstr5160.thumb.jpg.70f87af359fe5248d1b35a20c6326f01.jpg

Oh and before anyone says theres no re-enforcing on the diff pin tops, they didnt need it as both the bridges were made of 3mm plate and boxed in the same

Edited by stuart

Stuart, question for you, I see you added some triangulation at the trailing arm box sections.  Is there any concerns having the plates on top of the frame?  Does this interfere with the body fitting down on the chassis outriggers or do you just add shims to compensate?

Cheers, 

Tush

6 hours ago, M. Pied Lourd said:

Stuart, question for you, I see you added some triangulation at the trailing arm box sections.  Is there any concerns having the plates on top of the frame?  Does this interfere with the body fitting down on the chassis outriggers or do you just add shims to compensate?

Cheers, 

Tush

There is just enough gap anyway Ive found.

Stuart.

On 4/24/2020 at 7:47 PM, Graham said:

Just been watching a video where a chap far more knowledgeable than I suggesting that as far as the front differential mounting bridge is concerned the 4a chassis is better because of the large reinforcing gusset that sits between the bridge and the chassis rails this was not fitted to the 5/6 chassis. 

so question is it worth/possible to retro fit one on a bare chassis ?

I don't think anyone has answered Grahams original question - the 4A U shaped double skinned gusset ( does it have a proper name?) would seem to add strength and it looks like there is sufficient space to fit it, so would it not be beneficial?

The box sections shown welded between the diff bridges will certainly give both the bridges a lot more combined strength and that in itself will impart more torsional rigidity to the chassis in that area, but it wouldn't seem to address the weakest point which is the narrowest part of the waist in the chassis in front of the foremost diff bridge? Or am I missing something?

Cheers Rich