At the risk of being controversial, I was watching the 10.00pm news last night and was struck by the contrast between Ms Sturgeon's press conference and our own Matt Hancock.

Whilst the former was definitely 'In control' she nevertheless gave clear answers to the processes that were being considered for getting out of lockdown.  She was confident in her presentation and all the while there was someone alongside her 'signing' for the benefit of any deaf people.

Meanwhile, Matt Hancock continued his tired old theme of not wanting to confuse people as an excuse for saying very little.  And the UK Government still haven't cottoned on to the fact that we appear to be the only country in Europe not having a sign language translator as part of the presentation.

I am no fan of Ms Sturgeon and her policies but in respect of presentation, our politicians could clearly take lessons from her.  It was the same when she was very strongly challenged by Andrew Neill during her interview with him in the run up to the election in December last year.

Rgds Ian

Ian,

I always feel the opposition politicians have it oh so easy. The "I wouldn't do it like that" and "I could do it better than the government" type answer when they have no responsibility to make it happen, or even need to have a workable solution makes for a very comfortable life. This has always been the First Minister's policy on independence, clamour for what you won't get to raise your profile and popularity knowing that you won't have to deliver.

This has been the case with many of the statements from the First Minister over the years,  and even now with Covid, although Scotland has some independence they must by their very proximity to, and commuting with, the UK are in reality following the UK lead - and rightly so.

I do not recognise that Matt Hancock has a tired theme, the Pandemic does not play by any rules, it is novel and the whole world is in a learning process. There are currently no treatments, and no vaccines against Covid so whatever the reasons to shut down when we only had a few infected people still exist, nothing has changed. I'm sure as countries  ease restrictions there will be issues as Japan has found to its cost. The UK/world is establishing a method of holding off mass infection until treatments or vaccines become available, whether the time scales involved will allow that to happen is another matter.

I thought Matt Hancock handled this morning on Today with Misha Hussain very well , particularly when Misha only wanted to get her own political statement broadcast, then afterwards she fell back and was rather low-key.

We were always told we were two weeks behind Italy, plenty of time to contain the situation then see the results of others returning to a more normal society.

There is of course always President Trump's suggestion of yesterday to have humans take disinfectant, obviously the Final Solution to the problem!!!!

Well the sun is out again thanks to the lack of contrails, the garden beckons,

Alan

Ian,

when telling lies comes naturally it is an easy step to seem confident when you don't take any responsibility health service and education ib Scotland is at an all time low. mc Face face wouldn't know the truth if it leapt up and bit her. She is positively odious and much hated around Scotland.

Strikes me you create divide and uncertainty with her statements.

The woman makes nancy Poliso look positively saintlike. and theyre both pure poison and evil. This has nothing to do with what is best for the people it is only pandering to the support (which is waining at long last)

Edited by Rodbr

The British Gov't (whoever is in power) never rush into anything.   It is so easy to rush at a possible answer only to find you create another problem.

Were we slow at implementing anything - very possibly yes. 

We are were we are and very possibly we may be first to the winning post for a vaccine That I'm sure os what the gov't want.

As for the Scottish 1st minister - in my view a very sad sick person.

Roger

Whilst she is is spouting forth she does not have anyone working on cures that she organised but I;m sure she will be there to take credit  somehow.

She has spent her whole wasted first ministership fighting for an independence that no one wants so she can hand us over the the EU.

In the meantime perhaps if she got on with her day job and actually went to her constituency where rats abound in the streets.  Check out what her constituents say about her.

I despise the creature with a vengeance for what she is doing to Scotland. Most people in Scotland are hard working honest and reliable and have honour,something severely lacking in the scottish parliament self important lunnies to a man or woman

Rod

IMHO - The solution to our current covid pandemic will be scientific, not any speech from political posturing, self promoting individuals. Yes it may take a while for society and the economy to recover, but those who sadly passed away due to covid 19 will never recover.........

Whatever anyone postulates, the UK response has been led, indeed driven, by the medical and scientific experts, not political, in their long term efforts to save lives, of course mistakes have been made, we are in uncharted waters (some may say with suspect data and information, but we are learning all the time, including comparative performances from other countries).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, unfortunately politically motivated 20:20 rear vision is not very helpful, but learning from mistakes is. 
Ian

Ian

Many well put points and I whole heartedly agree on all of them.

I do however have the feeling that the anti Chinese sentiments will be long lasting which is sad for the general populous chinese but the regime . You can not seem to buy anything that doesn't have the made in China label.

I wanted a set of copper barbeque mats for my new pellet barbeque smoker, simples you might think made in UK. Think again, made in China and now i'm fearful to put my food on them to cook. How crazy is that?

Rod

Clearly Widow Kranky is not top of the pops with some people.  Well her policies aren't with me either, I'm not a fan of Scottish Independence to start with but... I do think she is an astute politician who presents well and while she didn't say anything about how Scotland was going to get out of lockdown she did suggest a number of options that are being looked at.  I am sure our government is doing that same thing but for some reason it is keeping everything very close to its chest.  A bit more openess woudl not in my opinion go amiss.

And no one picked up on the fact that if you are deaf - tough, we are not interested.

Rgds Ian

Can anyone name Wales' equivalent ?  He hopes to stop hoardes of second homers invading...with threats not persuasion ( and who in England listens to him anyway).

19 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

Oh dear.....looks like i've upset a Scottish Nationalist 

More likely a Krankie fan !

Mick Richards

Ian, I’m not sure what BBC news you are watching but on their daily update from Downing Street there is always someone signing. It looks quite amusing as when Matt Hancock etc say they are passing over to Chris Witty it is often the signer you see first. 

2 hours ago, cvtrian said:

IMHO - The solution to our current covid pandemic will be scientific, not any speech from political posturing, self promoting individuals. Yes it may take a while for society and the economy to recover, but those who sadly passed away due to covid 19 will never recover.........

Whatever anyone postulates, the UK response has been led, indeed driven, by the medical and scientific experts, not political, in their long term efforts to save lives, of course mistakes have been made, we are in uncharted waters (some may say with suspect data and information, but we are learning all the time, including comparative performances from other countries).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, unfortunately politically motivated 20:20 rear vision is not very helpful, but learning from mistakes is. 
Ian

Yes, the processes that we currently endure are clearly driven by the science.

It's justa pity that they are not tempered, by a bit of common sense.

19 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Ok,

so some close to the knuckle stuff here, plus the Chinese comments are likely to be not the whole truth, are they?

Lets just all be a tad more measured - Please?

John.

You’re right John, I apologise unreservedly to Krankie fans everywhere !

Mick Richards

3 hours ago, Crawfie said:

Oh dear.....looks like i've upset a Scottish Nationalist 

And another......Sensitive ,  these blue woady types. 

Interesting that I have Scottish relatives that say a lot worse things about the glorious SNP leader.

How she has the brass neck to think she knows the answers when she supported the Scottish CMO who broke social distancing guidelines I do not know. Personally I find her irritating, a first class manipulator who is clearly using the Cobra briefings to her own advantage. A touch of insider information that she then roles out in advance of any serious guidance from the Government. This is nothing more than petty points scoring at every opportunity. She has said nothing, but encouraged by the media who are intent on driving the next item on the agenda she responds to their needs......a class act in how to manipulate ones image. 
Iain

On 24 April 2020 at 8:35 PM, stillp said:

She could be worse. Just look at her predecessor.

Pete

And the finance minister......

Edit 27/4

I would love to know why the keyboard warriors are upset by this ....

The ex finance minister for the Scottish Administration resigned because he was caught sending  hundreds totally inappropriate texts to a 16 year old boy.

Are you , and I cannot believe I'm saying this, condoning this behaviour ?

Edited by Crawfie
Update