Jump to content

1965 TR4A progress and restoration


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Jase said:

It's a slow process, working through the car slowly, interior will be the last thing on my list but will get there.

my aswer worries you...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jase said:

Now this is a much better fit, just need to move the other car out of the garage and fit this.

Surely you want to do it in the sunshine to soften the vinyl, clip it in place and leave it stretching for a day ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 hours ago, Jase said:

Hope you all like the patina - 40 years of use :) 

Only 40 years ?    I've seen and much admired patina  ..and I've seen cars so beautifully restored that they have absolutely no patina and the owner is too frightened to use it to go to a supermarket or even to leave it unguarded for ten minutes in a show of classic cars.  All in all - yours could be tidied and refastened ..then it ain't so bad ..for an Englishman born in Germany :D  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bfg said:

 

Only 40 years ?    I've seen and much admired patina  ..and I've seen cars so beautifully restored that they have absolutely no patina and the owner is too frightened to use it to go to a supermarket or even to leave it unguarded for ten minutes in a show of classic cars.  All in all - yours could be tidied and refastened ..then it ain't so bad ..for an Englishman born in Germany :D  

 

Well I did clean it up today and popped some back to black on it :) My plan is to start picking up the interior at shows over the next few months (hopefully). I'm going for a full colour change on the car so fitting the interior needs to wait until I've finished. Still quite cold here in Wales so I've ordered a fan heater and will put that inside the car along with a heat gun and that should do it - I hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Quite pleased with the TR6 soft top. Just ordered some black plastic poppers for the back of the hood and seals for the windscreen to windows and it’s all done. Very impressed with Don’s hoods.

A4063F4C-F719-4A6A-AD9A-CCBD08E974EF.jpeg

Edited by Jase
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done, not critics but allow me to tell you:

from the distance your window seems to be to high up to me.

And the aluminum cover on top of your window frame is from a TR4.

You own "a all models" hood hybrid :ph34r:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Z320 said:

Well done, not critics but allow me to tell you:

from the distance your window seems to be to high up to me.

And the aluminum cover on top of your window frame is from a TR4.

You own "a all models" hood hybrid :ph34r:

 

I think I need to adjust the window slightly, seemed to be fine with the 4A hood but that should be an easy fix. The aluminium strip is a TR5 strip, the screen is from a 5 and the slots are in the correct place for a Tr5/6 soft top.

 

Thanks for your thoughts though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jase said:

I think I need to adjust the window slightly, seemed to be fine with the 4A hood but that should be an easy fix. The aluminium strip is a TR5 strip, the screen is from a 5 and the slots are in the correct place for a Tr5/6 soft top.

 

Thanks for your thoughts though.

As I mentioned previously the ally capping is actually from a Surrey topped car hence why it protrudes forward slightly from the screen frame and why you had to adjust the catches to get it to pull down correctly.

Stuart.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Stuart, missed that, probably assumed that the capping was the same on TR5 and 6 frames, is it different for a soft top? Guessing this will be okay when I eventually fit a surrey?

Link to post
Share on other sites

New fan belt tomorrow, hoping just jacking up one side of the engine will give me enough space to swap this all out.

 

 

E3E30DFB-0E87-416B-B211-755C84C3C320.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, trchris said:

Hi Jase

noticed no fan are you running an electric? if so why not get rid of the fan extension?

Chris

Hi Chris, yes I have an electric fan. Can I just unbolt this part? That would make life very easy. I thought it was needed as a 'harmoniser', think that is correct?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Putting the steering on full lock will give you more space to squeeze the fan belt through the gap.

Bob.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Putting the steering on full lock will give you more space to squeeze the fan belt through the gap.

Bob.

How? That won't move the engine or the cross tube.

Pete

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite right, I was thinking TR3 & the steering center tie rod.

Must try harder !

Bob.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be the shot angle but the engine mount looks stretched forward. I would investigate the condition of the gearbox mount.

Screenshot 2021-04-03 at 07.30.58.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, will check. Probably like everything else on the car it could do with being renewed. Just waiting for a car lift and I'll make a start on all of these more challenging jobs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, spot on with the engine mounts, onejust popped so ordered a new set, changing all of the hoses at the moment and a new peyrol pipe kit on the way to battle the old ethanol.

 

DC0AC147-29A2-48F2-A82E-7202647AAB76.jpeg

9097556B-BE27-42F0-BAD9-FFD4C7B2BB9B.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fitting a spare fan belt at the same time. Also going to overhaul the petrol pump just to make sure everything is tip top.

 

1F95F2D6-B863-4A07-9E7C-B40DCCCF2D48.jpeg

D0B49476-3012-4973-91A7-F4E076D0E6B2.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Jase said:

Fitting a spare fan belt at the same time. Also going to overhaul the petrol pump just to make sure everything is tip top.

 

 

D0B49476-3012-4973-91A7-F4E076D0E6B2.jpeg

Wheres your oil pressure gauge pipe? That brake pipe join down by the chassis looks very suspect too.

Stuart.

Stuart.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Well spotted Stuart, looks like the pipe coming from the master cylinder was too short so they made up a joining piece. On the to do list :) 

Edited by Jase
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please familiarise yourself with our Terms and Conditions. By using this site, you agree to the following: Terms of Use.