1965 TR4A progress and restoration

Floor mats in and all indicators working, had to swap the repeaters around on ghe side lights. Oil change next and to recover the trim.

8661C0CF-4012-4E10-A546-474CC8916205.jpeg

BC9E0081-9DE0-4DEB-A1EB-31836F910587.jpeg

Edited by Jase
  • Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH it looks like a pretty good basis to start with, the dent your on about in the arch is supposed to be there and you are missing the wing beadings on top of front and rear wings. The dash you have

Jase, I know these are strange times but I also live in Bridgend and have a 1962 TR4 and would normally offer you the opportunity to come and use as a reference or just a chat. Have you cont

Having spent quite a lot of time going through the car I decided to do an essential run today and drive it for the first time and pick up some petrol, just a few shots back on the drive and my essenti

Posted Images

Guess it would be impossible to find a cover for the centre of the steering wheel? I wonder if a Spitfire one would do the job?

Edited by Jase

JasonĀ  - I will soon have a couple of original 4A bumpers which I'm just about to get rechromed -Ā it will be a few months before they are ready. Shame it's not the other way round as I have a few new OE TR4 bumpers spare right now.

You may very well also find the bumper irons are TR4 as opposed to 4A -they are different as they locate the overriders in the correct placeĀ  - the only difference in the bumpers is the location/spacing of the mounting holes - I suppose you could redrill holes in the correct place on your existing bumper and fill any exposed holes with a domed bumper bolt - just a thought.

Cheers Rich

10 hours ago, rcreweread said:

JasonĀ  - I will soon have a couple of original 4A bumpers which I'm just about to get rechromed -Ā it will be a few months before they are ready. Shame it's not the other way round as I have a few new OE TR4 bumpers spare right now.

You may very well also find the bumper irons are TR4 as opposed to 4A -they are different as they locate the overriders in the correct placeĀ  - the only difference in the bumpers is the location/spacing of the mounting holes - I suppose you could redrill holes in the correct place on your existing bumper and fill any exposed holes with a domed bumper bolt - just a thought.

Cheers Rich

Thanks Rich, probably the best idea, I will get measuring :)Ā 

• 1 month later...

Any suggestions for a replacement coil? Is it just the usual Lucas version or are there better more reliable modern ones? Running electronic ignition andĀ renewing because I can feel an electrical ā€™hesitancyā€™ at times when the car is warm. Could be anything but starting with the easy ones first.

thanks

21 minutes ago, Jase said:

Any suggestions for a replacement coil? Is it just the usual Lucas version or are there better more reliable modern ones? Running electronic ignition andĀ renewing because I can feel an electrical ā€™hesitancyā€™ at times when the car is warm. Could be anything but starting with the easy ones first.

thanks

Talk to Martin http://www.distributordoctor.com/ he will recommend and supply what you need.

Stuart.

There are plenty of good alternatives to the Lucas offering - a Bosch blue coil, PertronixĀ Flamethrower or Remax ES3Ā for instance. Electronic ignition manufacturers sometimes have suitable coils, e.g. Lumenition and Accuspark.Ā 

Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

Help - car seems to be cutting out every 5 or 6 miles, I donā€™t think it is petrol as it doesnā€™t stutter. It just goes off, I do have electronic ignition, once the car has rested for a couple of minutes it starts and off we go again. This did happen once last year but only once. Any ideas or solitions greatfullyĀ Ā received.

1 hour ago, Jase said:

Help - car seems to be cutting out every 5 or 6 miles, I donā€™t think it is petrol as it doesnā€™t stutter. It just goes off, I do have electronic ignition, once the car has rested for a couple of minutes it starts and off we go again. This did happen once last year but only once. Any ideas or solitions greatfullyĀ Ā received.

Coil

Stuart.

2 hours ago, Jase said:

I donā€™t think it is petrol as it doesnā€™t stutter. It just goes off, I do have electronic ignition,

It could be the ignition module. I had one that stopped working when it got hot and started again when it cooled down.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by RobH
14 hours ago, Jase said:

Luckily, I had a new coil ready for my 1275GT rebuild so will try this first.

Ā 

2853FE77-C5CA-4712-AEB9-918B10DFB217.jpeg

Unfortunately theyre not known for their reliability Im afraid. Distributor Doctor is the place to by decent coils.

Stuart.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:46 AM, Jase said:

Any suggestions for a replacement coil? Is it just the usual Lucas version or are there better more reliable modern ones?

Bosch blue coil, Ā Pertronix Flamethrower, Ā Remax ES3...............etc

Ā 

27 minutes ago, RobH said:

Bosch blue coil, Ā Pertronix Flamethrower, Ā Remax ES3...............etc

Ā 

Thanks Rob but as you can see I had a Lucas coil as a spare for another project.