1965 TR4A progress and restoration

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH it looks like a pretty good basis to start with, the dent your on about in the arch is supposed to be there and you are missing the wing beadings on top of front and rear wings. The dash you have

Jase, I know these are strange times but I also live in Bridgend and have a 1962 TR4 and would normally offer you the opportunity to come and use as a reference or just a chat. Have you cont

Having spent quite a lot of time going through the car I decided to do an essential run today and drive it for the first time and pick up some petrol, just a few shots back on the drive and my essenti

Posted Images

Jason - in short yes, and there should be a little rubber buffer which is secured by a a small rubber protrusion which goes into the small hole in them - yours look bent as well - they should be flat

Cheers Rich

On 5/16/2022 at 5:24 PM, rcreweread said:

Jason - in short yes, and there should be a little rubber buffer which is secured by a a small rubber protrusion which goes into the small hole in them - yours look bent as well - they should be flat

Cheers Rich

Thanks Rich, those seats are sooo comfortable, passenger side in and tested - thanks. I was sceptical as I enjoyed lounging around in the originals and even after owning a few MX5s over the years was still not convinced but these are a huge upgrade in comfort and useability. Highly recommended, will post pics at some point.

8 hours ago, Jase said:

Thanks Rich, those seats are sooo comfortable, passenger side in and tested - thanks. I was sceptical as I enjoyed lounging around in the originals and even after owning a few MX5s over the years was still not convinced but these are a huge upgrade in comfort and useability. Highly recommended, will post pics at some point.

Glad to have been able to help - I'm stumped on floor mats though but I'm sure others will be along with some ideas - keep on posting!

cheers Rich

Nicest rubber over mats are copies of the original Amco items   My only complaint is that they are made for LHD cars so have reinforced area below the heels on the LH mat.   I think the moss items now have no reinforcing   

ptno AM6819-2

https://www.abingdonmgparts.co.uk/product/category/1079/floor-mats-pair%3A--tr2%2C-tr3%2C-tr4%2C-tr5%2C-tr6/am6819-2

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/footwell-mats-rubber-black-pair-am6819-2.html

image.jpeg.b7a1f380b574bf1e9e902df039f9f5fe.jpeg

7 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Nicest rubber over mats are copies of the original Amco items   My only complaint is that they are made for LHD cars so have reinforced area below the heels on the LH mat.   I think the moss items now have no reinforcing   

ptno AM6819-2

https://www.abingdonmgparts.co.uk/product/category/1079/floor-mats-pair%3A--tr2%2C-tr3%2C-tr4%2C-tr5%2C-tr6/am6819-2

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/footwell-mats-rubber-black-pair-am6819-2.html

image.jpeg.b7a1f380b574bf1e9e902df039f9f5fe.jpeg

Perfect, thank you

Dash in, a lot easier than I thought, superb fit, thanks again Rich. Leaving the dash top until next year when I remove the screen suuround, may pop a clock on top of the crack :) 

B476DF08-1AFC-4360-B7DB-2C560AF58556.jpeg

D121C010-7301-4FEB-8D82-D21DF454B0CB.jpeg

D85BD4D0-26DE-4F3F-8624-4F02A125A17A.jpeg

Edited by Jase

Looking for some help again, seem to have a spare wire, looks like it is dangling from a relay. I would add the PO has routes the horn to a switch

E231BBAB-7AE5-413E-B6EC-54A7D7D75426.jpeg

F3CBE4BB-71EE-4389-B818-02CE1157B5BC.jpeg

18 hours ago, Jase said:

The TR shop carpet set is superb if anyone is thinking anout purchasing carpets.

Thats why I fit and recommend them.Much better value than certain others I could name.

Stuart.

Help - everyone has probably had this problem with indicators I guess when switching to LeD. No flash at all, a very and I mean very feint green light for a split second on the dash and nothing, using the classic car leds, think the flasher is correct.

8F8D0448-D041-4B39-95A4-77B7BEEDD51D.jpeg

Does the flasher unit have an earth wire, and if so is it making. good contact ?

Some more updates, car started up, no problems, all gauges and lights work, clutch was stuck but a simple start up in fourth freed that, interior in except one door card and very comfy seats.

FCB0800C-065F-42B9-88BA-D71A61DE06AF.jpeg

B3126A7C-3F32-46D5-BA27-2A2A0D1D07A5.jpeg

14E28423-15F1-4EE5-8A9F-0CA47A5B5EF8.jpeg

2C9E8DB6-930F-4C0B-A3B6-1562D5171B59.jpeg

Edited by Jase

Well, test drive today and what a difference, yes it was a bad earth for the indicators, I initially screwed the earh lead to a fast clip on the side panel, then changed it back to the origial earth and it worked fine. The sound deadening and panel deadening makes a huge difference and an added bonus my heater now works, wow.

The car is now back home so I will have more opportunity to work on it in the evenings, parent's are glad to have part of their garage back :)

Well done Jason.. progress, as well as driving while the sun is still in our hemisphere.  

Those are interesting hood sides for the rear corners of the door glass. 

Keep up the good work, Pete

1 hour ago, Bfg said:

Well done Jason.. progress, as well as driving while the sun is still in our hemisphere.  

Those are interesting hood sides for the rear corners of the door glass. 

Keep up the good work, Pete

Different hood makers have different approaches to that area of the hood, some have a tube type finisher.

Stuart.

1384961245_Marko024.thumb.jpg.3cfeb07bd769f5c51fd823e3f37d3e28.jpg1731047565_Marko044.thumb.jpg.ff6bcabb8a03e4a250448a0b4d81663e.jpg