1965 TR4A progress and restoration

Looking for some help with wiring, heater wasn’t working, could anyone tell me which terminal the black wire should be attached to and am I missing a third wire? Thanks

E3262E2E-90B1-4327-BBC7-FDEEDC431473.jpeg

44233D6E-534F-4EE6-85B0-47EFD21FC4FB.jpeg

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TBH it looks like a pretty good basis to start with, the dent your on about in the arch is supposed to be there and you are missing the wing beadings on top of front and rear wings. The dash you have

Jase, I know these are strange times but I also live in Bridgend and have a 1962 TR4 and would normally offer you the opportunity to come and use as a reference or just a chat. Have you cont

Having spent quite a lot of time going through the car I decided to do an essential run today and drive it for the first time and pick up some petrol, just a few shots back on the drive and my essenti

Posted Images

I don't think so !  The base looks well corroded, & it would have to be to break like that. I would look for  another one.

The scuttle could be suffering from excessive shake, which would put strain on the frame, but the base must be very weak to have gone like that.

Bob

Edited by Lebro
7 minutes ago, Jase said:

Have another, cracked H frame, how can this be repaired? Araldite? 
Thanjs

EEC64C26-CBE8-4096-B950-58A8ED18AFDB.jpeg

A862ED9D-D35D-45A7-B3C0-8569B7A0BD76.jpeg

Jason - with one like this ! Seriously though, there is potentially quite a lot of stress in these H Frames - sometimes you have to literally jack up the dashboard to get then to fit so in those cases they are under a lot of tension. Alternatively, as Bob says, scuttle shake will similarly put quite a lot of lateral pressure on the mounting points.

Ideally it needs alloy welding but that will destroy any sort of remaining covering. I suppose you could araldite it provided you fitted a strengthening plate on the inside, better still also reinforced with say bolts or self tappers. Good Luck

cheers Rich

PS Sorry about the mis-orientated photos - I have no idea how to change these once on the Forum

IMG_3697.jpg-Resized.jpg

IMG_7173 - Resized.JPG

Judging by the state of it you may well want to look for a replacement, TBH I dont think Ive seen one quite as rotten as that!

Stuart.

Thought I’d ask on my thread first. Does anyone have a spare H frame for sale? Doesn’t matter about the vinyl condition as I will be recovering.

Thanks

14 hours ago, Jase said:

What is everyones adhesive of choice for carpets?

thanks

Dont glue carpets except for sill and rear shelf ones, this is what I use as a trim glue https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/p-1263-heat-resistant-adhesive

To keep your carpets in place use these clips https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-83-carpet-fasteners

Stuart.

2 hours ago, Jase said:

Am I write in assuming there are two BRGs? My car was originally conifer but I like the darker green, does anyone have a code for the darker BRG please?

Unfortunately there is a thousand shades of both BRG and Conifer and they are all hard to match, talk to your nearest body shop and ask them if they know anyone with a spectrum analyser as that will be the best way to get a match on a non standard colour, one so called BRG car I had to do a while ago came up as a dead match to a Fiat colour!

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart, should have ordered that glue when I ordered the trim from them :) I have an excellent paint shop I use so will pick a BRG shade. Only after brush on for the floor for the time being but would want to match when I eventually paint the body.

Just noticed I’ve lost a side light cover, can these be purchased separately? Also fitting LED bulbs at the moment to the dash, the main beam light is flat, do you have to screw this in all the way? If so how, all a bit flat :)

71F4D488-E8E2-4E82-A544-141A5ADCD1A7.jpeg

92D34093-230A-48C1-B164-0474B503513B.jpeg

The original relay is in the top corner of the passenger footwell, the other side of the bulkhead from the wiper motor.

Screw bulbs go in enough to make contact and then just about half a turn more.  The friction in the bulb's thread, even when smeared over with Vaseline is enough to hold it in place.  

Side light lenses I guess are available, and by the look of it you'll also need new rubber seals for under bulb holders as these not only keep water out, but their slight compression also stops the cover from twisting and falling out.  Very likely you'll find the rubbers behind the headlamp lenses also old and perished hard. They likewise need to be elastic to allow the headlamp rims to click into place.

Pete 

2 hours ago, Bfg said:

The original relay is in the top corner of the passenger footwell, the other side of the bulkhead from the wiper motor.

Screw bulbs go in enough to make contact and then just about half a turn more.  The friction in the bulb's thread, even when smeared over with Vaseline is enough to hold it in place.  

Side light lenses I guess are available, and by the look of it you'll also need new rubber seals for under bulb holders as these not only keep water out, but their slight compression also stops the cover from twisting and falling out.  Very likely you'll find the rubbers behind the headlamp lenses also old and perished hard. They likewise need to be elastic to allow the headlamp rims to click into place.

Pete 

Thanks Pete, scouring the Moss catalogue now, my list is getting longer :) 

Edited by Jase

Well I went for BRG BLGN29 way to bright, I have got used to the dark green on the car and a close match seems to be Connaught Green. 

5B02297D-F0CF-4D6B-B071-A08CEEF734C7.jpeg

6F0FA344-A1F8-4432-8F51-83F8D6585636.jpeg

B1B93238-A9D0-431C-8EDD-49FDDE3D9903.jpeg

Edited by Jase

You will chase your tail forever trying to colour match it unless you get the colour spectrum analysed as I sad earlier. Its a particularly difficult colour to match along with red and Yellow.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I’m happy with near as dammit, the car’s bodywork is rough but I’d like to get close as I like the darker green. I can then match the bodywork up to a definitive colour I’m happy with. Wouldn’t normally have purchased a green car :)